Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shin guards-recommendations
  • mikertroid
    Free Member

I'm slowly finding myself pointing steeper and steeper down hill and have finally invested in some flatties after 13 years in SPDs…..

I reckon I'll be needing shin protection with all those nasty spikes and things!

Any recommendations for shin guards; I won't be doing full-on downhill craziness, but more trail-orientated riding.

Cheers!

midlifecrashes

Footy ones for a couple of quid did fine for me when I first got spiky flatties. Only wore them a couple of times until I sorted which shoes to wear and haven't had the need since.

holmes81
    Free Member

Dainese,

I started with other ones, cheap veggie wraps, 661s etc ok for while but would never stay in place, not very comfortable and horrible to pedal with.

Tried on a set of Dainese in lbs and saw the light, then saw the price tag and started to cry.
    Eventually got a set on here.

Dainese expensive but worth it, plus if things get steeper and steeper these should stay with you.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Get some fivetens for starters

Budget pads go for brandX
    Feeling more flush go for 661 race or raceface.
    Feeling rich get the best and go for POC VPD.

I have ben riding flats for years and still use shin gaurds, mainly because any cuts anywhere on me take months to heal and always leave a scar.
    I use both 661 and POC. I do love the POC's as they provide more protection and have a removable calf protector, plus they don't slide down and you can put them on without having to remove your shoes.

Bert
    Free Member

Dainese expensive but worth it

+1, Loved mine when I used to ride with flats.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I've ordered the 5tens, I'll look into the Dainese & POCs…..

Shite, they're pricey!!

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i got these 661 racelite. they are fantastic!!!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sixsixone/racelite-knee-shin-guard-ec001982

only £25, crc do them too for the same price.

i wear them up and down the hill as they are so comfy.

Nick

Northwind

POC are the best out there, by a mile, but spendy. Raceface Rally FR are probably the best at a more sensible price, shame they don't fit me. 661 make good stuff usually but I don't think their shin guards are up to scratch.

Oh, as for tearing yourself up with the pedals, you should very quickly stop doing that- I did it a couple of times in the snow and it can happen in crashes still but not in day to day riding. But, I keep on jabbing myself with the damn things while pushing the bike 🙁

mikertroid
    Free Member

661s on order….

coogan
    Free Member

I hated my Dainese pads, rubbed my calves so much I'd finish a ride bleeding. Depending on how quick you get used to flats (only took me a few rides), you don't really need them, you soon learn to get your shin out the way if the foot does slip!

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

since buying mine, my riding has come along. Not worried now of jumping a root and slipping from the pedal after landing and smashing my shin in 2. Also a little reasurence when you flop off and wont cave your knee in 😉

Lurchenstien
    Free Member

They're a git to find now, but I've used Odyssey Smak pads for the past few years of bmxing and unicycling, they do an excellent job.

Dylan08
    Free Member

Dianese – Have had mine 5 years – still going strong

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shin guards-recommendations’ is closed to new replies.