Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Shimano rear mechs – shadow or not?
  • druidh
    Free Member

This wasn't an option last time I built a bike. What's the user feedback?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

heard lots of negative things abut how they must be fragile (though not heard of people breaking em). I got one and was a bit sceptical but it is the first time I've had perfect 9 speed shifting in 4 years. The long cage seems bonkers long, which might undermine the supposed advantage of having it tucked out the way, but from a pure performance aspect I am impressed (comparing shadow XT with standard XT so like for like).

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Shadow short cage is the way to go. no need for the dangly long cage

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Onzadog
    Free Member

I had this choice recently. I've never ripped of a conventioanl mech and my mechs normally die from sloppy pivots including the main bolt. The shadow is norrower so would suggest that it will go sloppy sooner. For that reason, I stuck with a conventional rear mech. I've never ridden with a shadow mech, it's just my own personal speculation.

oldgit
    Free Member

My XT Shadow has been fine. Seen a lot of problems with the tension spring popping out on the XTR, had three sepperate incidents in just one day.
    Agree about the long cage, picks up lots of debris.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

So, Onzadog, you don't know why, but you wouldn't recommend a shadow rear mech?

that is pure STW gold 😀

lcj

The question to ask is: have you ever kept bashing your mech on a rock and found yourself wishing that it was tucked slightly further under your cassette and that without that development you just couldn't survive?

Yes? Shadow

No? Dont fix what aint broke

Onzadog
    Free Member

I do know why I wouldn't, I think the narrower main pivot will reduce the life span. I was mearly making it clear that it was my opinion. Essentailly, isn't that the essance of most posts, ask the opinion of others?

Nick

Loving my Shadow XT, about a year old now and is still like new

Rockplough
    Free Member

Loving my Shadow XT, about a year old now and is still like new

Ditto.

nickc

Mine's fine, it's a mech, no real drama.

Keva
    Free Member

I didn't get on with the shadow, prefer rapid rise because of the upside down shifting 😕

Kev

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Icj- the more direct cable routing (ala Sram) makes a tangible difference to the quality of the shifting. Thats why I rate mine. I was and am sceptical of the "out of the way" claim as when ive ripped off a rear mech its been bounced/pushed/flexed/dragged into the spokes, not taken off by a rock directly. However I finally have 9 speed (running XT shadow with 2008 XT shifters) that work as well and reliably as my XTR 8 speed did.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

XT shadow, 2 years-ish. Perfect shifting. No problems.

StonePantMan
    Free Member

Wouldn't boter as I want both my bikes to have the advantage of Rapid Rise. Have it on my Maxlight at the mo and love the flawless downshifts under power. Will change on by other bike as soon as the old one gives up the ghost (or gets t**tted by a rock :D)

cynic-al
    Free Member

druidh some have posted re issues with them breaking.

The section screwed into the dropout does look thin to me!

Think I belong in the "if it ain't broke.." camp FWIW

lcj

Mungey-one: shifting quality and cable routing was surely why they invented SRAM? :-p

Let's not open that can of worms eh?!

bicycle_repair_man
    Free Member

just a comment on cage length. General rule is SGS on a triple and a full spring bike, especially if you want to use the full spread of gears.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Shimano rear mechs – shadow or not?’ is closed to new replies.