Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Shimano pedal axles, jesus wept!
  • scunny
    Free Member

£30 for one axle?

Bearings have collapsed in my left XT785 trail. A quick google shows me that a replacement will be £30, 30 chuffing quid!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

£19.99
    Complete axle assembly with bearings

sillyoldman

M785 are £19.99 RRP – XTR M985 are £29.99.

thered

On balance tho, I’ve used 3 pairs of XTR pedals during the last 9 or 10 years and replaced on axle ever. I think they’re pretty good at what they do tbf.

ken_shields
    Free Member

Hey Scunny

How long have you had the pedals and how much use have they had?

scunny
    Free Member

I’ve had them maybe 10 months? They’ve had a fair bit of use and I’d have liked the axles to have lasted a bit longer but not against replacing them as its not as if they’ve sat in the box since I bought them.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Wasn’t there an issue a while back with XTR trail pedals and bearings? Those with the “gold” washers.

edit: It was a while ago according to this thread

njee20
    Free Member

They’re just loose balls, why would you need a new acle? 50p for bearings.

dantsw13

They should still be under warranty

JoeG
    Free Member

^ This.

XTR is 3 years, XT is 2 IIRC.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have spd pedals 20+ years old, they can last if you grease them which is really easy with the plastic tool.

kcal

XTR all the way here, my 959s still going strong after 15 years, other pairs on other bikes much the same sort of durability.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I bet XTR last well – but no longer than properly looked after M520s…which are barely any heavier, perform the same, and cost 1/5 of XTR?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Makes me glad of my new mallets and candies, working well ?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

My XTR trails failed but were replaced under warranty. My 959’s are still going strong after 12 years.

adsh
    Free Member

I find my XTR m985 race pedals get play after about 18months of off road use.

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

Makes me glad of my new mallets and candies, working well ?

<makes diary note to make fun of mikewsmith when his pedals fall apart next tuesday>

njee20
    Free Member

I find my XTR m985 race pedals get play after about 18months of off road use.

They were a rare (unique?) departure from form for SPD longevity, the 959s and the 970s last forever.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Shimano pedal axles, jesus wept!’ is closed to new replies.