Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Shimano hydraulic brakes auto-adjust
  • Trigger
    Free Member

Hi,

I have a set of XT hydraulic brakes from a couple of years ago. One has (I think) stopped auto-adjusting. Basically I push the pistons back, fit new pads and used to expect to pump the lever 5-10 times and then the pads would grip the rotor well.

Now I pump many many more times and nothing much happens. Eventually it grips the rotor, but with very little stopping power. Plus when I’m squeezing the lever hard it has a odd feel to where it stops – like it’s pushed something as far as it can go and is hitting a metal end stop, not like it used to (and the other brake does) – a bit less sudden, but still firm.

I imagine that the auto adjust for the level of hydraulic fluid in the system is at fault? But what can I do about it? Does it need bleeding (I’ve never done this, as they came pre-bled)? Any advice or other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just try bleeding them, it only takes 5 minutes and is dead easy

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds like they need bleeding. I’d give them a complete fluid change if it hasn’t been done for 2 years

Trigger
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ll try bleeding now I’ve got confirmation that it should help.

A follow up question: The tube is not through the cable guides on the frame – as that involved disconnecting the hose from pre-bled brakes. If I’m bleeding anyway then maybe I should do this too. Is it difficult, and does anyone know where there are any instructions?

Thanks again….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Shimano hydraulic brakes auto-adjust’ is closed to new replies.