Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shimano Disc Rotor Question
  • martinm116
    Free Member

Hi
    Just got some new Deore 595 brakes delivered, but they didn't come with any rotors, been reading the instructions and it says that I should be looking at SM-RT53 or SM-RT62 rotors, think these are splined, which won't fit on my current hubs. Can I use other rotors ones that bolt on to the hub?

nickjb
    Free Member

Yes. Pretty much any rotor

druidh
    Free Member

SM-RT61 would be the 6-bolt equivalent.

martinm116
    Free Member

excellent. thanks

martinm116
    Free Member

Had a look at those RT61's they are fugly.

Merlin have got some XT ones (XT SM-RT75S) they look a bit better, and they have some Ashima Rotors, do you reckon I'll be able to use either of these?

Can't decide on the size of the front rotor either, thinking 180mm at the moment, is that overkill for primarily XC use?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Your deore brakes will chew through the arms of xt ones. the pad is deeper. Not sure about ashima ones.. probably? I've used hayes rotors on deore brakes before and that was fine

Mister-P
    Free Member

Deore 595 pads are exactly the same shape as XT pads so that is not true bikewhisperer. You could use SMRT75 or SMRT76, both are six bolt.

MrTall
    Free Member

I have XT brakes, SLX and the new Deore M595 and i can confirm that they all use exactly the same pad so you'll have no problem. I use 2 different rotors on the M595's, a standard XT 180mm on the front and a 160mm on the rear using the newer Shimano rotor with the aluminium spider. Both fit fine.

martinm116
    Free Member

If I put a 180mm rotor on the front do I have buy adapters or spacers for the calliper to handle the larger rotor?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yes you will need to buy an adaptor if you want to run a 180mm rotor.

rock
    Free Member

mr tall, how do the three brakes compare?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Disc Rotor Question’ is closed to new replies.