Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shimano cassette, Campag everything else?
  • ds3000
    Free Member

Can it be done? I hear there are spacing and width differences.

crikey
    Free Member

Why?

I never understand the need to mix bits; if you’ve chosen Campag, go Campag.

ds3000
    Free Member

I’d have to buy campag wheels; one, I don’t have the money and two the spoke pattern gives me the willies.

dobo
    Free Member

10 speed campag shifters work perfectly well with a shimano mech and an 8 speed cassette.
    its what i got on the cx
    and to answer crikey, cost, campag shifters were well cheap when i got them and had the mech off an mtb and used a silly cheap 8 speed cassette of a crc flood sale. campag shifters are better imo and rebuildable.

crikey
    Free Member

Um, ok.

I’ve always used Shimano precisely because I don’t want any issues. Campag anything is a deal breaker for me.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Go and ask on the CTC forum.
    You’ll get pointed to a million Shimergo threads. You have done what I did, mainly because used Shimano spec wheels are cheap.
    I used a 10 speed Campag set up with a normal 105 cassette. pretty well ok.
    Thought I would be fussy and acquired an near new America Classic cassette which had Campag spacings with Shimano splines. Much better.
    You can get the same by Ambrosio, which I now use or possibly Miche as well. perfect indexing. Job done.
    Alternatively buy my Campag Record/mavic rim wheels for bugger all.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I use campag cranks, Shimano chain and cassette with MicroShift shifter and mechs. Doesn’t answer your question but just saying like…

eskay

I have some retro Campagnolo Zonda wheels (Campag cassette) running old style (grey post 600) Ultegra rear mech and new Sora STI levers. It shifts like a dream.

There is a website (I have had a quick scan and I cannot find it) that has some compatibility charts on it.

jkomo

I ran exactly this for a while, but found some of the gear combos a bit grumbly.
    Ended up sticking a shimano crankset ( tiagra) and chain on.
    Still have the campy shifters and mechs. This seems fine.

Kuco

If you want to keep it 10 speed then one of these.

dobo
    Free Member

I never even knew those Ambrosio 10 Spd Cassette existed. Thanks
    not that id go that route probably as id have to buy a campag mech and the 10 spd amrosia is more expensive than my sram 8 speed and doesnt really offer any benefit, wonder what the weight is for the 12-28t?

just what the op is looking for though i recon.

mrmo
    Free Member

What wheels do you have? Depending just get a new freehub body.

as for compatibility, yes no maybe, depends if it is 8/9/10/11 different answers for each.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

The Ambrosio cassettes are good and do the job.

Once you have one and it wears out you can then just use the spacers on any Shimano cassette.

Regards

mboy
    Free Member

Once you have one and it wears out you can then just use the spacers on any Shimano cassette.

Shimano Cassettes generally have the largest 3 or 4 cogs on a spider, so you can’t fit them individually with a different spacer.

Nice thought though!

Sam

Mattsccm – could be interested in your wheels!

aracer
    Free Member

Harder to find than it used to be, but here’s the CTC Shimergo article

http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/components/transmission-gears/derailleur-gears/shimergo

cynic-al
    Free Member

I run 9 speed ergo & mech with shimano 9s cassette ok, also 9s ergo, shimano mech and 8s shimano cassette ok.

LOLercrafts at crikey asking the same question every time this comes up.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shimano cassette, Campag everything else?’ is closed to new replies.