Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • eBay sale advice, please
  • jamesmio
    Free Member

So, I sold ,y set of X0 brakes on eBay this week, both seller and buyer have long standing 100% feedback.

I literally removed the brakes from my bike, gave them a clean up and sent them off – I’d been riding on them with no hassles (the odd bleed required) for 6 months, and they were unmarked.

Now, the buyer has contacted me saying,,,

“Hi,
    I’ve tried fitting these today but they are not working correctly. There is a piece missing from the lever body so you can wind the contact adjuster right off & they pull right to the bar. That added to the fact they are far from “perfect condition” as described in the listing I would like to send them back for a refund.

I already own 2 other sets of these so I know what they should be like. These are incomplete & are not working correctly. I was prepared to accept the condition for the price I paid as they are far from battered but they are not “perfect” as they were described…”

Now, I’m not a d*ck, and would genuinely never send something out that’s not as described – these really were spotless, and were photographed as such, the missing part but does concern me, because I can’t picture what it is? Any time I’ve had issues with brakes I simply got the shop to bleed them, and they were fine again. If truth be told the only reason I sold them, and my Elixir 5’s too, is because I’m sick of having to bleed Avids so often and have gone for some XT’s instead.

So, what are your thoughts? I’m inclined to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, as I say he’s got a long and good feedback score, which suggests he’s a decent enough sort. But, I don’t want to end up being stuck with something that’s potentially been poached for spares / swapped out for an older/bashed set that ill get back I stead.

FWIW, they sold for £100, way less than half what I paid for them last year.

Cheers all

jamesmio
    Free Member

Oh, its also worth adding all my listings are marked as no returns accepted, but I don’t want to see someone stuck with something that’s not right. If anyone knows what the ‘missing’ part might be, do you know if they can be bought separately?

I’m unconvinced anything IS actually missing, but I’d be happy enough to say cover the costs of that to keep the peace.

nickjb
    Free Member

Mistake to describe them as perfect. Anything like that is very open to interpretation. With eBay’s policies you’ve got little option but to refund. You could offer a discount to save hassle.

taxi25
    Free Member

Tough call, but if the buyer escalates the dispute with ebay they almost always side with the buyer.
    See if he’ll send them back and refund once you’ve examined them. Just relist them if thiwr all ok.

Speshpaul

“If you are unhappy with the item then please return them”

Its just not worth the hassle either way.

meehaja
    Free Member

just wait for him to return one of his knackered pairs….

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes that would be my concern – they have a set of knackered ones and now you will- did you mark them before you sent them – tell the seller you have and see what they say?

tom200

If he returns them, under ebay rules they have to be sent recorded delivery (possibly insured iirc), this may put him off sending them back. It sounds like they have been badly installed.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Yeah, lesson learned on the wording I suppose – too ambiguous and open to interpretation. That said, they really were spotless when I sent them out, otherwise I wouldn’t have listed them as such. I’ve sold loads of bike & snowboard bits on eBay and always list things as accurately as I possibly can.

12 years worth of 100% feedback should testify to that.

I’m keen to learn more about the bit that’s claimed to be missing – if anyone has any idea what this might be, I’d really appreciate a link/image?

darkcyan
    Free Member

Just take them back.

End of, anything else is just a waste of time.

If he sends you a crap pair report him to e-bay and raise a claim of your own.

In my experience if they have extensive good feedback this is normally a good sign.

Tip – read the comments in the feedback, dont just rely on the score, they dont always tally.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Some good pointers here folks, thanks.

I’ve got to give the lad the benefit of the doubt I suppose, he’s clearly bought and sold a lot on there without any hassles so what else can I go off?

So, anyone want a set of X0 brakes then…? ;0)

steezysix
    Free Member

Not really, apparantly there’s bits missing and they’ve had multiple owners… 🙂
    May sound obvious, but don’t refund until you’ve received them and checked to make sure he’s not swapped/pinched bits off them.

johnellison
    Free Member

Offer to take them back, but poiltely point out that a) your listing clearly stated “no returns”, and b) make him aware that you won’t give the refund until you are in receipt of the goods and are certain that they are the ones that you sent.

If the buyer is being truthful he should have no objections.

fd3chris
    Free Member

The No returns bit is a load of rubbish. If they are not as described the buyer will almost always win. Take them back, make sure they are What you sent him and then re list.

DezB
    Free Member

For one thing, you only got £100 for them because your listing photos are shocking! If you want to sell something decent and list it as “perfect”, surely it’s better to take some good close-up photos and link to them on photobucket (other hosting sites are available)? Then there’s no room for argument.

Anyway, for your own sanity, accept the return – I’ll tell you what will probably happen if you don’t – he will raise a case against you (even though “no returns accepted” means he has no case).
    Ebay will stop your seller account and freeze your paypal funds for 8-10 days, while they “investigate”, before finally deciding that you have no case to answer to and finding in your favour.
    If you can stand that hassle (I know I couldn’t go through it again!), then tell him to do one.

fd3chris
    Free Member

No returns does not mean he has no case at all. Distance selling regs and the simple fact he is stating they agree not as described means eBay will side with him.i don’t know why they have the No returns option as then you could sell anything at all on eBay and whether it be as described or not there would be no come back.as said above take closer detailed pics and state in working condition.

steezysix
    Free Member

But as it’s a private sale via an auction site, distance selling regulations don’t apply? Only eBay shops would have to comply with DSR.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Thanks for all the pointers above folks.

Well, surprise surprise… Got the package back this morning and he’s sent me back a scuffed up tatty old set, not the ones I sent out.

What a bell-end.

To say I’m a tad miffed is putting it very mildly indeed.

paladin

Why would he even bother putting any brakes in?
    He could of just sent an empty box……

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Get in touch with Ebay straight away.

I can’t see why he’d bother though. He runs the risk of not getting refunded, and giving you a set of brakes for free, albeit a tatty set.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Well, surprise surprise… Got the package back this morning and he’s sent me back a scuffed up tatty old set, not the ones I sent out.

That’s really rough, is it obvious from your pictures that they are a different set?

letmetalktomark

Do people really do this 😯

I would be furious especially given the propensity for eBay/PP to side with the buyer.

I raised a dispute a while back re a damaged frame. I received a refund at confirmation of postage stage rather than confirmation of goods received stage.

Its almost as though a stage is required for the the seller to confirm they have received the right goods back in the condition they were sent.

Hope you get this sorted dude 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Have you spoken to him about it?

woody2000

Well, you’ve got his address & he’s got your brakes. Can you rustle up an angry mob?

What a complete cockweasel.

weeksy

Awsome… genius …. i can’t wait to see how this plays out 🙂

andymc06
    Free Member

I’m getting angry just reading it! Hope this gets sorted. He should really be reported for deception.

cyclistm
    Free Member

PS – Does his history show him buying a different set in the past?

jamesmio
    Free Member

Does his history show him buying a different set in the past?

I haven’t checked (yet), but he did let slip in a message that he already has 2 sets of these, so that’s how he knows they’re ‘incomplete’.

Certainly the ones I’ve got back match his complaints – the rear’s got no bite (needs a bleed I suspect) and are a bit scruffy, but they’re sure as sh*te not what I sent out.

eBay have already concluded he’s in the right, have given a full refund and are now chasing me for the full refund.

All-in-all, a stinking horrid mess and almost certainly the tipping point for me in using eBay again. I’ve heard plenty of horror stories but it’s only been this last few weeks that I’ve had any problems.

First this a-hole, and then someone else who won a bid then vanished without paying for it.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Ouch this sucks, big time. And he gave you a ‘Best Avoided’ negative feedback too, I’d be absolutely tampin mad mate. Did you refund him before he sent them back?

EDIT: just saw your post above

jamesmio
    Free Member

Ouch this sucks, big time. And he gave you a ‘Best Avoided’ negative feedback too, I’d be absolutely tampin mad mate. Did you refund him before he sent them back?

Nope – I offered him a refund on the condition that he sent the stuff back and between me and the LBS we’d confirm that they’re what was sent and in the same working order that I sold them in.

He was a week late in returning them, during which time he opened a case with eBay, who because I didn’t refund him in time (err, because I hadn’t received anything back by then) awarded it in his favour and refunded him directly.

Now eBay want their cash back and I’ve got someone else’s set of brakes.

And he gave you a ‘Best Avoided’ negative feedback too, I’d be absolutely tampin mad mate…

You certainly could say that, yes.

stevehine

If you can prove they are not the ones you sent out; would there be any joy in using small claims court ?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I hope you get it sorted mate, that idiot is on my best avoided list not you!

jamesmio
    Free Member

Ach, possibly. But, it’ll cost more in court fees and time out of work than it will to just clean these up, get them bled and re-sell them.

Just a bit of a warning to all I suppose – be aware! It’s not just thieves nicking bikes/bits and selling them on eBay you have to keep your wits about you for.

plyphon
    Free Member

EBay should sort them out once they see all the evidence.

They should also get your bad feedback removed too.

But what an asshole.

Hope you took lots of pictures!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Name, shame and address.
    STW has pretty much nationwide coverage…. 😉

nixie

Report him for fraud.

renton
    Free Member

This sucks big time !!

EBAY are tossers and should have waited until all the evidence was in.

Hope you get the right result!

nixie

Also a good idea to take note of serial numbers, preferably in photographic form at the same time you take listing photos.

julianwilson
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member

Name, shame and address.

What a shame the buyer’s username is now easily found a couple of clicks away from this thread. And ebay makes it so easy to ‘save favourite sellers’ and watch their listings whether you think they are good ones or bad. It would be truly terrible if this karma came back to haunt him via disappointed buyers of the bike stuff that he sells on ebay.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘eBay sale advice, please’ is closed to new replies.