Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shimano BB or something else???
  • nellyp
    Free Member

Just about to buy a new BB for my XT hollowtech chainset. Should i stick with Shimano or go with something else, the KCNC ones look good. Your experiences please.

z1ppy

I keep being tempted by the Pace RC80 & grease tool, but am struggling to see how they’ll last any longer than the 2.5 shimano BB’s I could have for the same price.
    Anyway replacing the bearing in your current one with 6805’s is supposely the way ahead.

toys19
    Free Member

yeah but you ahve to preserve the plastic top hat washer. Or you can buy enduro bearings from BETD of the correct size so you can ditch the plastic washer, but they are 20 quid a pair, a cheap shimano BB is about 20 quid too and I fail to see how a more expensive shiamno bb will be better than a cheap one.
    Three shimano bb’s here:
    deore £16
    xt £26
    xtr£39.99

Apart from anodising and some crap about seals I cannot see any difference.

I have bought a job lot of enduro bearings as I have a range of BB types across my 4 bikes, (all takes the same enduro bearing) but if I had only one bike with shimano I would jsut buy the deore bb every time.

PS the pace one uses the enduro bearings or at least the early promotional pics showed enduro bearings.

Paceman
    Free Member

Three shimano bb’s here:
    deore £16
    xt £26
    xtr£39.99

The Deore and XT ones look identical to me. I wonder what the difference is apart from £10 in price?

poisonspider
    Free Member

Depends on budget (as always), you can’t go far wrong with a Hope or Chris King if you’ve got the funds. My only advice would be stay away from RaceFace, utter bobbins, I’ve had three at varying price ranges and they’ve all been sh1t.

toys19
    Free Member

yeah I had a raceface one, bearings died in 3 months, seems fine with the endura bearings in there. At the end of the day a BB is all about the bearings, otherwise its just machined aluminium cups (or even steel if anyone does??)

foxyrider
    Free Member

I’d go with a hope myself 🙂

MSP

nellyp
    Free Member

Paceman – Member

Three shimano bb’s here:
    deore £16
    xt £26
    xtr£39.99

The Deore and XT ones look identical to me. I wonder what the difference is apart from £10 in price?

I’m with you on this one Paceman, can’t go wrong for £16. I’ve got ultegra, dura-acr and 105 bb’s on my road bikes and thinking about it i can’t tell the difference.

spock
    Free Member
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shimano BB or something else???’ is closed to new replies.