Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shift work
  • Flaperon

According to this BBC article, “Working antisocial hours can prematurely age the brain and dull intellectual ability, scientists warn. Their study, in the journal Occupational and Environmental Medicine, suggested a decade of shifts aged the brain by more than six years.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29879521

Call me a pedant, but wouldn’t a decade of shifts actually age the brain by, I dunno, ten years?

* Shift worker here being childish and agreeing with everything in the article. It’s not the shifts per-se, it’s the transitions.

Drac

Me find that unpossible.

martinhutch

Be interesting to see their methodology in terms of the time of day when the tests were conducted among current night shift workers (ie did they compensate for the sleep/wake cycle differences already present). Can only access the summary though.

Bizarre graphic on ‘night-shift’ accidents on the BBC story. And yes, it would read better if they said that the decade of shifts aged the brain by an extra 6.5 years…

senorj

I hear this on news this morning. 10 year of shifht not affect me.
    😉

Trekster

36yrs on shifts and obviously seen loads of people reach retirement. Lots in their 70s & 80s are still as sharp as they always were 😆

Yet another “study” that crops up now and again 🙄
    A bit like the “what tyre or which Stane” question on here 😉

midlifecrashes

Tired people act like they are tired shocker. I must get me one of these research gigs.

Harris
    Free Member

“Working antisocial hours can prematurely age the brain and dull intellectual ability, scientists warn.

If this is true then some of my colleagues were born to work shifts. 😕

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shift work’ is closed to new replies.