Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sherwood Pines Vs Mountain Bikers
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

I fully appreciate that the Kitchener Trails sit on Forestry Commission land and that tree felling is a priority but I have to say that the damage to trails on this occasion is beyond belief,
    Not a care in the world and the most frustrating thing,
    knowing the damage won’t be repaired.

As pointed out in a previous post of mine by other folks, The people in charge clearly don’t use ride bikes.

So much potential, Wasted.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You do realise that forestry isn’t about providing a playground for middle-aged cyclists? Don’t you? Maybe not.

matt_outandabout

It is a working forest, that is cropped for cash – that ends up paying for your trails, no?

spacehopper

are the trails a bit broken at the moment then??? 😯

we where planning a nightride there this friday!!

luddite
    Free Member

The alternative would be no access and people, god forbid, having to use maps and go into the hills and look after themselves and face the wrath of ramblers and maybe get lost and maybe be responsible for themselves and…..and….and…….NOOOOOOO!!!!!

oldejeans
    Free Member

What’s happened? Which sections? Seemed fine on Saturday.

simonm
    Free Member

Does sound waste full though. All that money wiped off the landscape, I guess it was unavoidable. That said, there are two distinct parts to the FE- Recreation and Forestry – from my experience they don’t fully co-operate, Forestry being the dominant force obviously.

tacopowell
    Free Member

As I said in OP I fully appreciate its the priority to farm the woodland but when you see other trail centers working with the forestry commission there is a little resentment that the management isn’t a little biker friendly.

there’s section half way round just before the rock garden/bikepark, with a drop and several berms before the small climb to junction ‘bikepark left/Red route right’
    diggers have driven right over the top of the berms almost like intentionally aiming for them!

maybe I’m over exaggerating but there is an element in truth in saying that other trails will work with the FC to minimise damage and have the people and funds after to repair any damage, the Pines seems like the trail is an inconvenience to them.

The alternative would be no access and people, god forbid, having to use maps and go into the hills and look after themselves and face the wrath of ramblers and maybe get lost and maybe be responsible for themselves and…..and….and…….NOOOOOOO!!!!!

God forbid indeed!

Point taken, I have of course taken time to explore outside of the marked trails but I don’t always have the time to do this and a short burst around a purpose built trail is ideal before/after work, Particularly when living in a city!

I can grumble all I want but only if I’m willing to make a change by helping around the pines (not a great deal of trail building going on)

or I can shut up and explore!

Incidentally its pretty dry at the moment which is unusual as its always pretty muddy just be aware some of the berms aint as high as the used to be!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

The people in charge clearly don’t use ride bikes.

Actually the head of the East Midlands FC is a keen MTBer. Allegedly. not sure he’d know a good trail if he faceplanted into it.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Actually the head of the East Midlands FC is a keen MTBer. Allegedly. not sure he’d know a good trail if he faceplanted into it.

Clearly.

molgrips
    Free Member

You do realise that forestry isn’t about providing a playground for middle-aged cyclists?

Not necessarily, actually.

As I understand it, the FC has a brief to provide both timber and recreation facilities. In popular places timber production is lower priority and sometimes they don’t even bother. That’s the good thing about it being a nationalised industry.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Been once with the kids, they loved it and so did we as we were out with them. As for travelling 45 mins from home to ride on my own or with the lads etc it would be Cannock everytime. However Cannock is built from natures own grinding paste so I avoid that unless its been dry, so then we drive to degga which is 2 hrs dead but that’s starting to take up a whole day. But then I’m lucky I’ve got a 15 mile loop ten minutes from home and it does win most times.

simonm
    Free Member

Hehe

shifter
    Free Member

I’ve seen the big machines they use to fell trees these days – they could easily avoid the trails. Sounds like they’ve chosen otherwise.

bigdean

I thought the red this weekend rode the best it been for the past few months. The felling has filled, flattened and sorted some of the poor surfaces covering it with felling litter. You should ride the areas felled away from the trails, inkersal woods and ramsom wood areas. Total bog fests and unridable.

Ironingly with the rally on sunday the forrest was the quietest i’ve known it for ages. Bit worried that a couple were pushing a buggie up a stage fire road. In sight of marshalls as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sherwood Pines Vs Mountain Bikers’ is closed to new replies.