Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Compact drop bars
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I need to get a shallower carbon bar for my road bike.

My fave bar was a Ritchey Logic 2, but the carbon version is £200-plus.

Considering 3t Ergonova team, but maybe you guys can recommend others?

crikey
    Free Member

I use the two cheapest FSA compact bars; the Vero (£24) on my winter bike, and the Omega (£31.50) on my bestest Scott Addict.

The weight increase over the carbon bars is about 90 grammes for a saving of £120. And they get covered in tape. And I’d prefer to crash an alloy bar rather than a carbon one.

🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Carbon bars seem a bit of a waste of money cos when you fall off you’ll probably have to bin them.

I use some Pro bars that were about £25 and have a nice shape.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not for weight, I just really like the solid, damped feel of carbon and it stops me getting vibration white finger.

🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Doubble up your bar tape?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Or, if you’re getting numb fingers – get a bike fit 😀

crikey
    Free Member

I use the gel strips on the tops of my good bike; sorted me for the Ronde van Vlaanderen a year ago, and I wrap the bar tape on the other so it overlaps by 2/3rds rather than by 1/3rd; worked for the 3 peaks cyclocross.

You just really want carbon don’t you?

chipps

Another +1 for alloy bars being quite OK thankyouverymuch.
    Have a look at the Genesis own-brand alloy bars that come on their bikes (and probably get ‘upgraded’ immediately) – I found them to have a really nice shallow drop.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have a set of those Genesis bars on my CX bike and they’re good enough for that, but I’ve had alu and carbon bars on my road bike and I much prefer how the carbon ones feel. Just need to find the right-shaped one.

Stop trying to talk me out of it anyway! I’m coming back from a broken arm and I deserve a treat.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What about a Girvin Flexstem?

chipps

LOLs 🙂

OK, go carbon then. If it’s on a road bike (and you promise not to crash…) then of course you deserve a treat! I’ve run Eastons with some success on my ‘cross and road bike (although they’re not going on my cross bike again as two Three Peaks and a season of racing seemed enough for them and they’ve cracked…)

kcal

FSA Vero (or Versa, I thought I’d bought – much the same I think) here.
    Can’t fault them.. (apart from not being carbon of course).

tang
    Free Member

I got some 3t ergonova pro alloy jobs. Very nice drop and I quite like the flat top.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I ordered some FSA Gossamer Compacts for my CX bike last week, I’m told they’ll be around £40 when they arrive. The bike already has the standard Gossamer’s, but my road bike has FSA Compact bars and they feel much more comfortable.

birney29
    Free Member

Chips makes a good point. Best bars I have used are the standard own brand cx shallow drops on my specialized tricross. .

TiRed

I love carbon bars. Giant SLR on my bike. Not a fan of compact though, use a spacer instead. And the reason I love carbon? Well I have small hands and my carbon bars can flex by 0.5cm. This means I can cover them in 2mm bartape without any gel underneath, and I don’t need padded gloves. If you have big hands, this is a non issue, but for me, I really notice the difference.

Haze

Vero compact here too, more than happy with them but they’ll hopefully get changed for some Service Course at some point…

cookeaa

Vero on my road bike, PX strada on my fixie, both very compact, either use gel or cork tape…

turbo1397
    Free Member

Another one for the FSA vero! 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Compact drop bars’ is closed to new replies.