Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Sherlock Holmes on BBC1
  • DickBarton

Anyone watch it? Thought it was pretty good…

Cooroo
    Free Member

Yes, pleasantly surprised. Got the feel of SH well, with clever modernising touches. Definitely will watch again.

catnap
    Free Member

damn, i wanted to watch that
    i player apptmnt booked i think 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yeah, not completely perfect, but definitively watchable.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Bit of a Sherlock Holmes fan – enjoyed that.

lowey

Me too… love Sherlock stories and I thought that was very well done. Cracking bit of telly.

rOcKeTdOg

3 pipe problem=3 patch problem, excellent!

RustySpanner

Very good update. Same elements as the original but nicely modernised.
    Enough knowing references to please Holmes geeks (thought the Rache/Rachel thing was clever).
    And Mycrofts' assistant was very watchable too……..

ahwiles
    Free Member

yes, very good.

The Holmes character wasn't old-fashioned when he was created, so why leave him stuck in the 19th century – it seems perfectly natural to bring him up to date…

i particularly liked the way texts, words, maps and things were shown to us.

jahwomble
    Free Member

I liked it much more than I expected to, but I did find the text, map, word thing a little intrusive and found it tended to gnaw at my suspension of disbelief, but it's a very minor thing and probably just me 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

I thought it was really good. I'm not a Holmesie (or whatever SH nerds are called) so I probably missed a load of refs but I got enough to enjoy it.

molgrips
    Free Member

(thought the Rache/Rachel thing was clever)

Go on, explain that 🙂

I thought it was great too. I did get a few of the references like the bit where you thought he was shooting up.

However, there were some bits of plot where he had to miss things that if he was so uber clever he'd have got, just to make the story pan out. Shame. But then, writers have to be really really really clever to avoid having to do that 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

However, there were some bits of plot where he had to miss things that if he was so uber clever he'd have got

Care to elaborate?

…and I believe Rache was a pseudonym that Holmes used but that is about all I know.

Kuco

Big Sherlock Holmes fan and sat watching it expecting to be pissed off by a crap bastardised remake but pleasantly surprised by a good modern version of it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Umm.. right..

1) They'd definitely have noticed the cabbie at the door
    2) Holmes would've thought about the cabbie turning up unanounced – it was bleedin obvious that was significant, given that he was so insistent and especially as they were talking about who hunts in a crowd etc – too them ages to get that.
    3) With a room full of people, SOMEONE'd have figured out that they could still track Holmes with the phone immediately after he left.
    4) He seemed oblivious to the possibility that BOTH the pills were poison. The cabbie could easily have wanted to call it a day, esp as he was living on borrowed time and was a pretty wretched tortured soul.

Didn't stop it being good though. I was just a little disappointed that the story had a few minor holes and didn't dazzle me with narrative sleight-of-hand and wrong-foot me completely but with Holmes two steps ahead of me at all times.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Nicely done by the BBC / Steven Moffat / Gatiss I thought, well acted, well directed nice setup for the rest of the series. The plot was a bit anemic though, which is true to the original as well as a lot of Doyle's plots were a bit on the thin side too. Agree re Mycrofts' assistant.

RepacK
    Free Member

Fairly watchable but could do with less of the text & graphic frippery.

Kuco

4) He seemed oblivious to the possibility that BOTH the pills were poison. The cabbie could easily have wanted to call it a day, esp as he was living on borrowed time and was a pretty wretched tortured soul.

But didn't he say each time he played his children got money?

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Three hours into my job in plain clothes crime detection and my curly side parting, high cheek bones and black rain coat have earnt me five Holmes comparisons so far.

To be honest I've been called worse 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I really liked the text message thing 🙂

BigJohn

It would be good if somebody did an adaptation of the Holmes stories, but change it to a medical setting with an arrogant irascible doctor who makes brilliant deductions from circumstantial snippets, abuses both drugs and his colleagues, and calls everybody by their surname.

Mind you, they'd have to make some subtle change in his name, like from house to home, to throw everybody off the scent.

But I thought the new Dr Who Sherlock was excellent. I hope he uses his sonic screwdriver in the next episode.

Kuco

LOL I thought of Doctor Who while watching it 🙂

Drac

Thought it was brilliant stuff

1) They'd definitely have noticed the cabbie at the door

They did hence why the woman Police officer said he's gone off with the cab driver.

3) With a room full of people, SOMEONE'd have figured out that they could still track Holmes with the phone immediately after he left.

What like Watson did.

No he didn't he never took it, if he'd been so confident then he'd have risked it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I mean they'd have noticed the cabbie as in 'hey you, wtf are you doing here'. Personally, as a dumb audience member my brain lit up immediately as an unannounced cab arrived. Seemed to take ages for the pieces to click.

It seemed to take ages for the phone tracking thing to happen.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I didn't watch it because I was convinced it was going to be a ‘modern life is rubbish’ interpretation but it seems I might have been wrong.

Tell me, were they true to Holmes' 'Social Dawinism' ethos; the idea that he is intellectually and morally superior by evolution and the criminal classes are not to be blamed so much for their misgivings as for their evolutionary/intellectual inadequacy? I wonder how well the idea that there is an intellectually superior class would really go down today.

Kuco

Well, lets be honest as soon as he said who looks for people in busy areas and goes un-noticed I guess 95% of the population thought cab driver.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Tell me, were they true to Holmes' 'Social Dawinism' ethos; the idea that he is intellectually and morally superior by evolution and the criminal classes are not to be blamed so much for their misgivings as for their evolutionary/intellectual inadequacy? I wonder how well the idea that there is an intellectually superior class would really go down today.

seemed to me that this was the jist of the story last night, the cabbie playing to Sherlock's intellectual superiority.

Yeah, there were holes like Watson not tracking him quicker but all in all a very good watch. Funny too.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Well, lets be honest as soon as he said who looks for people in busy areas and goes un-noticed I guess 95% of the population thought cab driver.

I could have sworn they used exactly the same script lines that were in an episode of Luther a couple of months back 🙂

BigJohn

But it's the big juicy clues they leave for us to get and the characters to stall over that make it so entertaining. How else would you get a room of adults (who now know they're smarter than Sherllock) shouting "IT'S THE TAXI DRIVER" and "TRACK THE PHONE" at the telly.

And isn't he a high function Aspergers or something?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I thoroughly enjoyed it. est bit of British TV I've seen in a long time. I did think the bit with the pills was going to turn into a scene from The Pricess Bride though.

Jakester
    Free Member

I quite liked the fact that situated on "Northumberland Street"(where they went to the restaurant to wait for the killer) is the Sherlock Holmes public house:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=northumberland+street+london&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Northumberland+St,+Westminster,+London+WC2N+5,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.507153,-0.125333&spn=0,0.001719&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.507153,-0.125333&panoid=t0DvPbdDrBEuCBX8FIjzDQ&cbp=12,20.4,,2,-1.98

What narked me though was the insistence in 'gayifying' SH – it seemed to have been done solely to 'metrosexualise' the character, and aside from a couple of cheap laughs added nothing to the plot.

Other than that, worth watching if there's nowt else on.

kimbers

bump on teh princess bride scene, i had to explain the entire scene to my missus

Drac

Or Policeman.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought either cabbie, newspaper seller, or some other salesperson type ie burger van.. or perhaps one of those people that accosts you to try and make you try makeup or something.

I did think perhaps people were being drugged. After all, how could you force people to choose the pills? Someone (the young lad perhaps) would certainly have tried to run away and got shot (at), or would have just lamped the taxi driver. I know I would have done. I'd have realised that if there was a struggle and I did get shot, there'd have been a load more forensic evidence on me than if I just popped the pill.

U31
    Free Member

Very enjoyable.
    I was ready to turn it over about 5 minutes in, but was listening to a revue of what i thought was to be a play, on Radio 4 while in bed the other night and it actually clicked in my head that this what was actually being talked about.

I gave it a chance on the strength of the Radio 4 shizz and i'm glad i did!

Drac

I know I would have done. I'd have realised that if there was a struggle and I did get shot, there'd have been a load more

Is that what you did the last time some nut pointed a gun at your head and said get in my cab.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, it's what I did the last time and old man tried to force me to take one of two pills.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

..and I believe Rache was a pseudonym that Holmes used but that is about all I know.

The episode was loosely based on A Study In Scarlet, the first Sherlock Holmes novel. In it, the word 'rache' is scrawled in blood on the wall of a room where a body is found. The police believe that the l is missing from the name Rachel, and that the message is a clue. Holmes is not distracted and his judgement vindicated when it traspires that it was a spontaneous blind by the 'killer'.

Drac

No, it's what I did the last time and old man tried to force me to take one of two pills.

U31
    Free Member

I really wanna be Herbert when i grow up…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Sherlock Holmes on BBC1’ is closed to new replies.