Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sheffield 100 (Action Medical Research) – Brutal……..Try it!
  • romster
    Free Member

If there's anyone out there thinking about doing a charity ride this year or next and you are really looking at pushing yourself to the limits then I can't recommend this Action Medical Research ride enough.

Peak District 100 – Was Sheffield 100 this year.

I completed the Sheffield 100 yesterday, and it was an absolutely brutal course, partly because of the 60mph head winds we had for 70+ miles which very nearly got the better of me, but mainly because the course was just a complete thigh ripper. I've ridden several good 100 mile rides but this thing takes the biskwit.

The hills are constant and it takes maximum effort to stay focused on this thing. The descents and views you get of the Derbyshire Dales are just truly amazing which take away some of the pain but all in all you need a lot of concentration on the day to complete the ride. At one point I saw two sweeper vans full of riders so the hills must have the got the better of a big number of riders.

The other plus to the ride was the brilliant organisation, credit where credit is due, the registering at the beginning of the event was effortless and there was a great choice of pocket foods to take along for the first 25 miles. The feed stations we're brilliant and the lunch stop at Langley 52 miles in had a wide range of foods to cater to everyone's needs. Upon return the people involved we're warm and welcoming and cheered you in, it really was a great all round day.

All in all it was just a magnificent experience, painful beyond belief but worth it once you cross the finish line.

I'm pretty sure out of all the Action Medical rides this is by far the toughest……if it isn't i'd be very interested to know what is if anyone has done any of the others.

A very tired legged Romster…….

midlifecrashes

Well done that man, was thinking it'd be tough as I made a beeline straight for the woods yesterday to get out of the wind. Hope you get the bike back now.

Crell
    Free Member

Well done. That looks like a painful route for a great cause 🙂 If you want to encourage uptake for 2011 though, maybe you should drop "brutal" from the title. I'll stick that in the 2011 list though and give that a try next weekend (when hopefully it's not blowing a gale)!

romster
    Free Member

Ha ha. Brutal it was though, but like i said, the wind played a big part in making the day so difficult. I think take away the wind, and the fact i was on a 39/23, and this could have been a bit of an easier ride. I can't take anything away from riders who finished the route though because it is a monster of a terrain.

romster
    Free Member

Half way up Mam Nic. 😆

Crell are you entering next year then? Just been looking at the other courses thinking about doing a couple next year…….let me know.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

how much climbing?

I used to have a training route that went up 1280m in 56 miles arround there, how did this compare?

romster
    Free Member

how much climbing?

Check out the route……similar to where you used to ride?

Route

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

I did the Evans "Ride it" event in the same area on the same windy day and saw a lot of you 100km guys. Did the 43 miles option with a staggering 1500 meters of climbing! Fairly hard going up the Snake pass in that wind!! Almost had to pedal to get down to Glossop on the other side.

romster
    Free Member

Saw a lot of you 100km guys. I was part of the 100mile brigade fella although i heard quite a few people changed to the 100k at the turn off because of the winds . . . . .

romster
    Free Member

You up in the peaks regularly spoon? Few of us are going up either end of the month or early next if ya fancy leading us out on this loop? No arranged route yet so stealing your's seem's like a good plan! 🙂 We're looking at stopping somewhere for lunch and swift half though, up to you, offers there if you fancy it fella.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I went to uni in Sheffield an my parents live nearby so could be tempted. I'm not fast though, that loop used to take me about 4 hours even on a good day!

cp

for the most part it does sound a cracking event – well organised and good food. BUT £25 is a lot of money for an event which doesn't have any timing at all.

romster
    Free Member

£25 for me was pretty fair tbh, you also got a nice little dog tag medal and a goody bag with bottle and zipp vit products in etc when you finished. The food alone i had personally from start to finish would have cost well over a tenner from start to finish. From your experiences does the entry fee to a charity ride usually all go on the event or does a percentage go to the charity too? If a percentage did go to the charity then great, If it didn't then i'm still happy because it really was a great ride and experience for me. I don't think timing on a course like this would be overly important to the majority riding though, i think a massive percentage would be aiming just to get to the finish line! 🙂

romster
    Free Member

Spoon we won't be out to tear up trees, i'll give you a shout closer the time and if you're around like i said you're more than welcome to join us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield 100 (Action Medical Research) – Brutal……..Try it!’ is closed to new replies.