Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Shecycles forum gone again
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

I know that for 95% of you this is probably irrelevant, but I know that some of the women who have previously / currently posted on the Shecycles forum lurk around on here, so this is just to say that the new forum seems to have now gone (expired apparently).

Anyone got any ideas / suggestions for an alternative? (And no I don’t want a debate about ‘why do you need a women’s biking forum’ suffice to say that many of us female riders find it useful!) I know BikeMagic have put up a ‘Ladies only’ section but the ‘welcome’ thread p*ssed me off so much as it was full of blokes making stupid and insulting comments that there’s no way I’m going to use that. Chipps / Mark et al – any chance of anything via Singletrack?

Oh, and if anyone here was planning on coming on the ride from Conwy on the 15th March let me know and we’ll stay in touch via e-mail (actually this is obviously open to any women who hadn’t been on Shecycles, but fancy a ride on the mountains above Conwy!)

Steve-Austin
    Free Member
    nbt

Trio set up an alternative forum here

http://shecycles.forumdes.com/

Sue_W
    Free Member

nbt – that’s the new forum that’s now gone as well

tails
    Free Member

sue mate post on here, there are a few to**ers but nothing overly annoying. I’d say off the top of my head there are around 8 regular woman who post on here. mamadirt, tracey and bumley are names that spring to mind. Mind traceys kids have better bikes than me. . . . . . soon to be changed

Sue_W
    Free Member

tails – cheers for being so welcoming. I do post on here now and again, but I appreciated having the Shecyles forum to arrange rides and have a more open discussion without the occasional t*sser jumping in 🙂

The new site that Trio kindly set up now just says: “This domain name expired on Feb 12, 2009” I suspect that even if the domain name is renewed, that all previous threads / ride meets etc will have been lost, so hence this thread on ST to try and get some contact made again.

nbt

ah bum I hadn’t realised sorry. looks like the hosting company forgot to renew their domain, that’s a bit crap isn;t it!

tails
    Free Member

i just done a light spot of research, both mtbr and pinkbike have separate woman forums you could use although both a more north america based. also a bit of a funny one i guess but before i found this forum i used to use dirt mag forum, there are very few regular posters on there so you could kinda commandeer it, plus one of the dirt magazine employees post there so knowledgeable user for any odd bits and bobs.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I can see the new forum no problems, and there’s been posts on it today so not sure how it can have expired on the 12th (yesterday)

cinnamon_girl

The reputation here for treatment of women is definitely not justified! I’ve met so many new people, both male and female, over the years. Also it’s been brilliant for advice including non-bike related stuff!!

Perhaps you need a slightly thick skin to hang out here but really it is not terrifying 😆

ebygomm
    Free Member

Just to prove i’m not just imagining it

Sue_W
    Free Member

ebygomm – could you post your link to the forum on here as I’ve just checked it again and it still isn’t working for me!

Cheers

ebygomm
    Free Member

The link already posted works for me

see if a link into the chat forum works

http://shecycles.forumdes.com/chat-f3.html

Sue_W
    Free Member

mmm … that’s the link I’ve been using and it still comes up with the expired message – it must be something to do with my computer, but I’ve no idea what!

tails
    Free Member

no busted for me to coming up with forrum.des or something and a girl with a folder.

cinnamon_girl

I can’t link either!

Sue_W
    Free Member

phew, glad it’s not just me, I was beginning to feel like a complete idiot. ebygomm, could I be really cheaky and ask you to post something up on Shecycles for Trio (if she is still doing the forum?) to let her know that there seems to be some problem for some people accessing it (I was registered, so I don’t think it is just stopping non-resgistered users). I’ve no idea why you can access it and I can’t!

Trampus
    Free Member

Tails- read the message at the top! 🙁

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’ve already posted with a link to this thread

Sue_W
    Free Member

cheers ebygomm. Hopefully whatever the problem is for me accessing the forum will miraculously right itself 🙂

tails
    Free Member

trampus i have just re-read what am i missing, i’ve had a couple?

ebygomm
    Free Member

If I use DNS tools it says the domain expired yesterday and is awaiting renewal, but I can still post fine.

Weirdness, i’ve emailed trio as well in case she can’t access it either

Sue_W
    Free Member

Thanks ebygomm. My partner’s just mentioned that it might be related to the forum being moved and the DNS not re-routing correctly yet (or something to that effect!) Anyway, he said it might right itself in the next 24 – 48 hours, so I’ll try again tomorrow.

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

It’s because of the way DNS works (DNS is the system that converts the URL into an IP address). DNS is cached around the world in different servers. A DNS entry will tend to have an age associated with it, between 24 and 48 hours, after which time it will renew which IP address is associated with the domain name. So yeah, just wait and try again tomorrow 😛

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I suspect that even if the domain name is renewed, that all previous threads / ride meets etc will have been lost,

no reason for any of the data to be lost. If the domain name expires, you can’t look up the site IP, but the site itself will still be working.

trio25
    Free Member

I have no idea why you can’t access it, I have got on fine. I will investigate though.

lourdes
    Free Member

Hi Sue and all
    I’m having similar problems with the forum – I also get the girl with the folder instead of shecycles board.
    Sue, I posted to go on the conwy ride with a few questions and never got a reply. CAn you email me and I can ask you directly? my email l.orozco09@gmail.com
    Cheers!

andym
    Free Member

Erm

Call me Mr Simple but I tried the link tails give and it clearly says the domain name has expired.

I then tried http://www.shecycles.com and got redirected to roadcyclinguk.com (plus assorted annoying popups) and a message that says;

Hi there, shecycles has closed so we’ve redirected you to RoadCyclingUK. It’s not a female specific site but you’ll find stuff about women’s cycling on here and women in the forum too of course.

If you prefer riding off road, you might like to try http://www.bikemagic.com where the bikes are muddier and the shorts baggier.

Sue

Why don’t you try asking the Management of STW? Or http://www.cycle-chat.co.uk?

Mark

We’ll have a chat about it in the office on Monday

ebygomm
    Free Member

Call me Mr Simple but I tried the link tails give and it clearly says the domain name has expired.

But the thing is tI can still access the site and trio can still access the site. Can make posts, see everything that’s there etc.

Esme
    Free Member

Ebygomm, although you can access the site at the moment, you probably won’t be able to very soon!

To put it in ‘babytalk’ (for my benefit, not yours) it all depends on how your computer connects to the internet

If ‘directly’ then you’ll get the “domain name not renewed” message

If ‘indirectly’, then at the moment you may still have access, as your server will be using the old IP address. But as soon as it updates, you’ll get the “not renewed” message

That’s what Badgerpoo is trying to say, I think, except I don’t understand these techie terms

Anyway, we’ve still got the Shecycles Facebook group to keep in touch

Sue_W
    Free Member

OK, I still can’t access the ‘new’ Shecycles forum (the shecycles.forumdes one). I’ll try again tomorrow – but I think my partner said pretty much what Badgerpoo and Esme have said (although as you can gather I obviously don’t understand it that well!)

lourdes – ygm re Conwy rides

lourdes
    Free Member

Sue – thanks for your mail.
    Esme – I am not in Facebook and I don’t want to be either…! So Trio could you let us know what will happen to the forum and whether it will be taken somewhere else. It will be a real pity to loose that space.
    Thanks!

ebygomm
    Free Member

I got the not renewed message once this morning, it’s since reappeared though

andym
    Free Member

To put it in ‘babytalk’ (for my benefit, not yours) it all depends on how your computer connects to the internet
    If ‘directly’ then you’ll get the “domain name not renewed” message
    If ‘indirectly’, then at the moment you may still have access, as your server will be using the old IP address. But as soon as it updates, you’ll get the “not renewed” message
    That’s what Badgerpoo is trying to say, I think, except I don’t understand these techie terms

That makes sense to Mr Simple here as well.

trio25
    Free Member

I can’t get on now, very annoying, I am looking at alternatives!!!

Mark if there is a chance I would love to sort a forum through somewhere that won’t disappear. I’m a little annoyed with the site for disappearing, we need a permenant home. If shecycles.com is not renewed I’ll buy it but till then we need somewhere to live. Something with singletrack could work, but seperate still, otherwise – no offence – the threads get taken over!

Sue_W
    Free Member

Hi Trio

Let me know if there’s anything I can help with – your stepping in to set up a new forum after the demise of the first ‘shecycles’ was excellent and much appreciated! Like Lourdes I’m not a fan of facebook, so it would be good to have an alternative again. But it does need to not degenerate into the bikemagic ‘ladies’ section cos frankly I just can’t be arsed with arguing with such twunks 🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

It’s going to have to be from scratch again, but better than nowt

http://www.shecycles.net/

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Shecycles forum gone again’ is closed to new replies.