Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shared roof replacement. Whats the law
  • leebaxter
    Free Member

My partner owns a lower flat, which she rents out. Today she got a call from the tenant saying that a latter had been put through the door on saturday. It informed us that the roof upstairs needs replaced, and the best quote was £4k (with or without scaffold-i havent seen the letter yet, so dont know the exact wording). Anyway, its gonna cost 4k, your responsible for half, and the scaffold is going up wedensday (tomorrow) and its getting done.
    To be fair the roof is pretty ropey. But im sure the bloke upstairs should have give us a bit more notice, and involved us in the quotes process.
    If by law we have to pay fair enough. The quote doesnt sound stupid. However my girlfriend has not got 2k just lying around this month.

Whats peoples views on this, cheers

hustler
    Free Member

lee where are you scotland or england

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Depends on the deeds IIRC. Make her feel better by telling her of my shared repair – done under statutory notice by the council – £1 500 000 total bill – my share depending on the outcome of a court case £150 000 – £80 000

leebaxter
    Free Member

In England. Newcastle

hustler
    Free Member

TJ **** thats bad I though our £18,000 statutory repair was bad and that was shared between the block. Good old edinburgh Council!

hustler
    Free Member

lee as TJ has said it depends on the deeds, but if she is liable and the work is not being done under statutory notice I think that you have to give permission for the work to take place (i.e you have to agree the costs etc) but I could be wrong as the law may be a bit different south of the border.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shared roof replacement. Whats the law’ is closed to new replies.