Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • Seven seat cars
  • brassneck

To the OP – pretty sure you live around my area (Whitchurch is a brief pedal turn away) and something to consider is the state of the roads off the main route.

I have an S Max and have replaced 7 tyres in the last 18 months. Now heaven forfend I blame Mrs B’s driving … but she didn’t manage 1 in 4 years of Toyota ownership previously. I think the S Max is a bit too big for its wheels so to speak.

I wouldn’t look past the XC90 if running costs don’t worry you too much – after my tyre expenditure, I think it might have been the cheaper option.
    What the S Max does have for it is 3 proper adult seats and a big boot (which is the majority use case), I think the 90 middle seat is not quite as big – that’s what swung it for us, but we have 3 boys to seat.

Unless you need to tow agricultural machinery and still turn up in a suit (a friend did, it was his company car), I don’t see anything in a Disco that the XC90 wouldn’t do as well but cheaper.

They are standard issue round here for a reason not just fashion I think.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

In the grand STW tradition of recommending what you have. I’ve had two Hyundai Santa Fe seven seaters. 2007 model was good, but had a few niggles that they fixed in the 2010 onwards version with the updated engine. Took first one to almost 100k miles, current (2011 version) one is 90k miles, both autos. Nothing major has failed yet and the running costs are fine (approx 40mpg and front tyres every 25k miles or so). Service interval is 20k miles or one year.

Rearmost seats fold into the boot floor, and are fine for teenagers (my 14 year old used them last weekend). Not a great deal of space behind them (unlike the XC90), but it does have a full size spare wheel.

Looked at the XC90, but the auto seemed to have a bit of a reputation for lunching its auto gearbox – see Honest John Good/Bad XC90

2014-on Santa Fe seems really nice, with a much improved interior.

EDIT: Sound advice below. Two kids here, and seats 6 and 7 are only used occasionally

bendertherobot
    Free Member

Generally, if you need 6/7 seats all the time. Get a van.

If you occasionally need 6/7 seats, get an SMax, Sharan, Kia, Volvo et al.

We have 4 kids. Just been to Lake Garda. T5 Caravelle, 180 bhp DSG. All luggage carried inside. Kids separated by, more or less, arm’s length. 41 mpg average at 70 mph.

I have never been less stressed on a journey in a “Car.” Even down to little details such as the ability to change a child’s nappy on the floor in the queue for the Eurotunnel.

Had a Sharan before, as a practical option the T5 kills it.

Harry_the_Spider

I have an S Max and have replaced 7 tyres in the last 18 months. Now heaven forfend I blame Mrs B’s driving … but she didn’t manage 1 in 4 years of Toyota ownership previously. I think the S Max is a bit too big for its wheels so to speak.

Wow. I’m 30,000 miles at least into my rear tires with 20,000 on the fronts and they are nowhere near worn (Pirelli Cinturato Extra Load) . We must have smoother roads ooop norf.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The XC90 has a habit of chewing the insides of its tyres – ALL 4 at the same time due to the bushes wearing to early.
    Polybush sort it but then ruin the ride. The D5V5 forum is a goldmine for info.
    X5 are the same with an even larger bill.

Harry – think his comment about “lunching” the tyres isn’t about them wearing out….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The differences between the various surveys makes it hard to take any of them seriously.

Yet, on the previous page, there was this, apparently intending that I should take a survey seriously when you quote it;

Renault do better than Volvo here too. I’m still hunting to find a survey in which Volvo do better than Renault.

And, wind down windows? Really? Hair shirt to go with that? Pointless pontificating, that totally failed to take in to account what I’m after. Why would someone driving a decent car already want to roll around in a shitty French shed with shitty equipment levels? Thanks, but I’ll ignore the rest of your opinion here.

Also, those suggesting vans – Again, thanks, I can see why you’d recommend them, but I don’t want, or need, a van. (And yes, your lifestyle Caravelles etc are vans 😉 ). As others have said, the spare seats would be occasional only, so would prefer a car, albeit a 4×4 vanker-vagen.

Re tyres – My current car is on the same 4×4 system, so am totally used to the tyre issue, but also like the grip.

Finally, this one;

brassneck – Member
    To the OP – pretty sure you live around my area (Whitchurch is a brief pedal turn away) and something to consider is the state of the roads off the main route.

Unless you need to tow agricultural machinery and still turn up in a suit (a friend did, it was his company car), I don’t see anything in a Disco that the XC90 wouldn’t do as well but cheaper.

They are standard issue round here for a reason not just fashion I think.

That sprawling metropolis? It’s a town. A TOWN, FFS! With it’s fancy pants Chinese takeaway that does fish and chips as well…..! But yes, not a million miles away, beyond the distillery, but not as far as the source. 😉

As before, thank you all so much (mostly!) for the excellent opinions and feedback. STW as ever, delivers well!

matt_outandabout

I have just remembered another option….somewhat left field.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wassat?

Although, I can only imagine the looks one would get opening those doors at a point to point! 😀

Edukator
    Free Member

No hair shirt here. You’ve never ignored my pontificating Flash, you take far to much pleasure in trying to ride roughshod through it. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Good riposte! 🙂

Seriously though, I want a nice car, not a money saver. Buying a second hand car does enough to save the polar bears for me (pollution in production, etc), so not fussed about that. Wind down windows aren’t as good for me, with kids in the car, as I can lock out the window controls in the back, which I couldn’t with wind down.

So far, the XC90 is winning, with the Disco in a close second. Will have a look at the Santa Fe, but it would need to do very well to sway me now…

matt_outandabout

CFH – new Tesla.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Will have a look at the Santa Fe

‘Course you will, yeah. 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just realised that I actually had a look at one earlier today, DD! (Thought it was a Kia! Oops!) There were some on show in the market square in Salisbury, including a rather good looking new 7 seater. Not sure it’s quite as nice as the XC, though. Interior felt a little bit tacky to me. Not quite as sturdy as I’d like.

Neighbour has a Hyundai and she swears by it. Given the beating she’s given hers, worth a more detailed look at least!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m sure you can get it re-badged if you need to. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Re badged? Like this, you mean?
    http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40597

The cushions seal the deal for me! 🙂

RustySpanner

Doblo, obvs.
    😀

The most practical bike friendly seven seater you’ll find.

Ugly as a hatful of monkey’s bums, but strangely classless.
    Like syphilis.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

So far, the XC90 is winning, with the Disco in a close second. Will have a look at the Santa Fe, but it would need to do very well to sway me now…

Third option should be a Shogun or Prado and not a Santa Fe, especially if the point to point is a consideration.

jimdubleyou

New Xtrail or Qashqai +2?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nissan?

You realise who the OP is don’t you? Are you having a 😆 or what?

konabunny
    Free Member

Why would someone driving a decent car already want to roll around in a shitty French shed…

I won’t even bother mentioning the Chevrolet Orlando I saw today then…

jimdubleyou

😀

I quite fancy the new disco sport, but will need to wait a year or so for a secondhand one with the new engine.

RustySpanner

It’s a Land Rover.
    It’ll need a new engine sooner or later anyway.

Trekster

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Just realised that I actually had a look at one earlier today, DD! (Thought it was a Kia! Oops!) There were some on show in the market square in Salisbury, including a rather good looking new 7 seater. Not sure it’s quite as nice as the XC, though. Interior felt a little bit tacky to me. Not quite as sturdy as I’d like.

We are on our 2nd Sorrento. New one is a K2 and last of the “old” model so we got a “good deal” 🙄
    Over the past week we have hauled 4 grand kids, caravan etc and fuel consumption is around 38mpg.
    It is MrsTs daily commuter and she loves it. She has arthritis and the addition of a rear camera for reversing + the heated seats are a bonus for her 😆 The rear camera is ave for caravan/trailer alignment 😆
    The bit I would agree with you is re the trim. The boot trim is pretty “soft” and easily marked compared to our old Touran.
    If/when we downsize a Touran is/will be our first choice as a replacement. We both have joint/back issues and buy a car that fits our needs re driving position regardless of badge……

ampthill

For reliability I find this useful. It seems a more consistent measure as its based on warranty claims

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/

The XC 90 doesn’t do well, although not as badly as a Disco

My brother in law found some clever “faults per 1000” table for cars. That put him off a buying a Discovery. He bought a Land Cruiser, but seats 6 and 7 are a joke

Trekster

Regardless of the “car” seats 6&7 are designed for kids unless you go for a minibus/T5Transit Connect type vehicle 💡

jambalaya
    Free Member

Having had two ultra reliable Shoguns over 10 years I would be every tempted by an XC90 if I needed 7 seats again. The reason I say so is the load carrying of the Shoguns (certainly the models we had) was poor, the rear fold up seats reduce width and the bench seat fold down reduces load height. The Rav4 we had after you could remove the rear seats (as per Galaxy etc) and that had much more load room (but only 4/5 seats). The genuine people movers are the most spacious but you do have to “give up on style” to quite a degree and certainly vs a XC

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Quite happily fit 7 adults in the disco

divenwob
    Free Member

So with 2 options from the start we still cant decide? 😉

sharkbait
    Free Member

Oh I think the [right] decision was made quite a while ago.

Seriously though, I want a nice car, not a money saver.

Buying the right car isn’t always down to mpg, tyre wear and survey results.

Re the Disco Sport – we had a look at them earlier this year before buying my new car. Nice car but looked too narrow across the back for 3 adults and by the time we’d specced it up to what we wanted it was in 2yo Porsche Cayenne territory (which would come with effectively 3 years warranty).

beefheart
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

we still cant decide?

Are you new here? 😉

Had a good look over the Disco Sport at Burghley today. (Grand day out, as well!) It’s a clever car, with some really nice touches, but it’s only really a 5+2, not a full seven seater. There’s no way an adult could get in the back, and as you can’t fit a booster/child seat to seats 6/7, it’s only a narrow age/size range that can use them. So, nice, but no.

The new Disco proper is lovely. Was drooling all over it. However, not sure it’s worth the extra over the XC90, unless I was using it off road or towing with it. Which I wouldn’t be.

matt_outandabout

Just don’t buy the Volvo in white. Someone on our road has. Just no.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There was a white XC90 in the car park near us today, Matt. Gopping. Some cars work in white, XC90s and Discos do not!

dantsw13

White is the only free colour for new xc90s. Much better in black/slate grey IMHO.

CHB

We have the “old” XC90 and it’s the perfect family car for lugging and long trips. The new XC90 looks fabulous but it will be 2020 before I can justify one!
    I do a lot of my own maintenance on cars and Volvo’s are well built and don’t skimp on things like corrosion treatment on bolts.
    Looking at a V60 Polestar at somepoint.

Tinners

I ran an XC90 for 8 yrs from new. Without question, the best family car I’ve ever owned. Superb design with a depth to the engineering that you only appreciate with ownership. Downsides are tyre wear on front nearside tyre (becaeuse it pivots that side on roundabouts – contintental ones wear on the “other” side (nothing to do with tracking) and mpg/engine refinement at idle. There’s also a momentary delay when pulling off (fixed by a Volvo approved software update to engine management). German cars I’ve owned have higher perceived quality when sat in cabin and, whilst undoubtedly well made, are no more reliable in my experience. If you already own an estate, you’ll already know about the legendary front seats – utterly amazing on a long journey, the industrial strength heater/aircon. Every car I’ve owned in the past 10yrs had had xenons but the steerable ones on the XC90 seemed way better (may be more to do with height, because the replacement bulb must be pretty standard). Even the reversing lights lit up a dark driveway very well. In the winter you can operate all the controls wearing gloves and the dashboard is very clear and easy to operate without taking eyes off the road (wish I could say the same about the touchscreen in the new one). You’ll appreciate the height over the estate – great for viewing ahead over the hedgerows on country lanes. The rear seats are reasy easy to tuck away and get out – again v well thought out. The upgraded Danish hifi is brilliant and the integrated child seats, the work of genius. If you get a good independant, the running costs aren’t bad and a mechanic friend of mine loves working on them because you can get at the bits and quality engineering. At 8 yrs old, the paint finish on mine was pristine (it was looked after though, I’ll admit). Admission time – I only bought it initially because I had to seat 6, needed ability to drive up rutted farm track and snow and XC90 ticked the boxes. It was in some ways a reluctant purchase because its predecessor was a German performance car and I hated the whole “boring Volvo” image. It was a revelation. Big fan. Seriously considering the new one. Most owners are full of praise and hang on to them for a long time, which says it all.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I ran an XC90 for 8 yrs from new. Without question, the best family car I’ve ever owned. Superb design with a depth to the engineering that you only appreciate with ownership. Downsides are tyre wear on front nearside tyre (becaeuse it pivots that side on roundabouts – contintental ones wear on the “other” side (nothing to do with tracking) and mpg/engine refinement at idle. There’s also a momentary delay when pulling off (fixed by a Volvo approved software update to engine management). German cars I’ve owned have higher perceived quality when sat in cabin and, whilst undoubtedly well made, are no more reliable in my experience. If you already own an estate, you’ll already know about the legendary front seats – utterly amazing on a long journey, the industrial strength heater/aircon. Every car I’ve owned in the past 10yrs had had xenons but the steerable ones on the XC90 seemed way better (may be more to do with height, because the replacement bulb must be pretty standard). Even the reversing lights lit up a dark driveway very well. In the winter you can operate all the controls wearing gloves and the dashboard is very clear and easy to operate without taking eyes off the road (wish I could say the same about the touchscreen in the new one). You’ll appreciate the height over the estate – great for viewing ahead over the hedgerows on country lanes. The rear seats are reasy easy to tuck away and get out – again v well thought out. The upgraded Danish hifi is brilliant and the integrated child seats, the work of genius. If you get a good independant, the running costs aren’t bad and a mechanic friend of mine loves working on them because you can get at the bits and quality engineering. At 8 yrs old, the paint finish on mine was pristine (it was looked after though, I’ll admit). Admission time – I only bought it initially because I had to seat 6, needed ability to drive up rutted farm track and snow and XC90 ticked the boxes. It was in some ways a reluctant purchase because its predecessor was a German performance car and I hated the whole “boring Volvo” image. It was a revelation. Big fan. Seriously considering the new one. Most owners are full of praise and hang on to them for a long time, which says it all.

😯
    You work for Volvo marketing dept, don’t you?

timber

Had a Disco 3 as a work vehicle in a previous job, used to fill all the seats and most staff were fairly tall due to the nature of the work. Used it to tow a lot (probably did 80% of its mileage towing) and quite frequently off road, so was the most obvious choice for its space, capacity and capability, as well as the only one that maximised all of those.
    No idea of the running costs as that wasn’t down to me, I just used it and there was no equivalent for what we wanted it to do.

Quite liked it, massive improvement over the previous model in power, handling and space.

Not tried an XC90 for comparison, but imagine the towing capacity and off road ability are what discounted it from my previous job.

Tinners

Ha! It does read like that, doesn’t it? For balance, I didn’t think the main dealer was as good as Audi/BMW but still asking inflated prices. A hired (new) Galaxy was quieter and much more economical on the motorway. PS I regularly put bikes on roof (and on rear carrier). It is more difficult getting them down off tall vehicles, but I developed a knack of stepping on rear wheel and rear door sill (when door open). I also used to put the smaller/lighter bikes on the roof. Easily takes 6 bikes and passengers that way (roof & back) with usual luggage space inside…..erm but other 4x4s and people carriers do that as well 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

“Legendary seats”?
    I’ve had an XC70 and a C30 and they were without doubt the most excruciatingly painful instruments of torture to do any mileage in i’ve ever known!
    The XC70 with its “Lux” trim was like trying to sit in a car version of a water bed and anything exceeding idle speed had you sliding into either the door or the centre console. The complete lack of any support of any kind had me in more pain than a session at the physio!
    The C30 in Sports was dire too – no support either but with rock hard side bolsters, no adjustment on the seat base for length and seemingly designed for someone with a 36″ inside leg or above.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Seven seat cars’ is closed to new replies.