Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)
  • Settle a pub row: couch to 4 minute mile (running)
  • brexitrefugee
    Free Member

Was arguing with a bloke in the pub (productive, not)…

He reckoned that with enough training anyone could run a four minute mile. I disagreed. I feel like I was right?

Could anyone do it if they worked hard enough? And would there be an age limit on this (surely yes)?

allthepies
    Free Member

They couldn’t, you were right.

Leku
    Free Member

My brother represents Scotland at Cross County (running). He says no.

bearnecessities

Was it Gareth Keenan?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

<armchair sports scientist>

A four-minute mile is an aerobic effort. VO2 max would be the limiting factor.

As I understand it, VO2 max is genetically set. It can be increased with training, but only up to a point.

Even with hard training, most people would not acquire the VO2 max required to run a four-minute mile.

</armchair sports scientist>

zilog6128

I doubt it. I’m fairly fit although not a regular runner. I tried running at 4 min mile pace once, I could only do it sprinting as fast as I could downhill! No way could I do it on the flat, let alone keep it up for 4 minutes!

aracer
    Free Member

😆 anyone? I presume Svetlana Masterkova and Genzebe Dibaba haven’t had the right training

matt_bl
    Free Member

Aracer has it.

Don’t argue with idiots etc…..

aracer
    Free Member

Aracer has it.

Yeah, and then I spoiled it by elaborating 😳

Klunk
    Free Member

think most people would struggle to hit the required 15mph over 100m sprint let alone over a mile. 😆

mickmcd
    Free Member

Eh it only takes 10 seconds to run 100m

So 1500 m about 2.5 minutes …..easy

Leaves a full 1.49 minutes to have a sit down before crossing the line.

Saunters off

Klunk
    Free Member

Eh it only takes 10 seconds to run 100m

like to see you do it 🙂 the qualifying time for the london olympics was 10.18

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

From the couch. Not unless your only 13 now. And can keep up the training for the next 10 years…… and have good genes.

Guy I worked with went from a 3 miles each way commute and a bit of Saturday afternoon football to a short 21 minute 10 in 3 years following a similar (drunken) discussion. He claimed that a 20 minute 10 was fairly easy with enough training. (This is when the comp record was about 19 minutes IIRC, late 80s maybe)

Certainly put his money where his mouth was. Still knocks out 22s now in his 50s.

mickmcd
    Free Member

like to see you do it the qualifying time for the london olympics was 10.18

ah piece of piss mate they just never asked me

but i kid you not im going to start this argument down the pub myself tonight just for the sheer joy of using my calculations lol

mickmcd
    Free Member

like to see you do it the qualifying time for the london olympics was 10.18

ah piece of piss mate they just never asked me

but i kid you not im going to start this argument down the pub myself tonight just for the sheer joy of using my calculations lol

scaredypants

that’s the danger of idiocy – it’s almost boundless when you start exploring it

chilled76
    Free Member

Even a 5 minute.mile is flipping quick. 4 minute miles are elitist

tomhoward

Lol just googled the fastest mile

Men 3:43
    Women 4:13

I imagine the men who have got under 4 minutes have sat on a couch at some point in their lives but I doubt it was the start point of their training….

fifeandy
    Free Member

4:30 quite possibly, think 4:00 would be too far for most though.

ahwiles
    Free Member

I think the solution is obvious, challenge the bloke in the pub to prove it. Tell him you’ll give him a grand when he does it.

He won’t.

enfht
    Free Member

He clearly wanted a punch up but you misinterpreted the conversation.

andy8442
    Free Member

30 years years ago I could do it, but from what I can remember we never started from a sofa. We just lined up behind a white line on the grass.

Caher

+ genetics – no matter how much training you may never be able to it.
    When I was fit and young enough to play regular rugby I once got under 5.20. being built like a hooker didn’t help.

scaredypants

andy8442 – Member
    30 years years ago I could do it, but from what I can remember we never started from a sofa. We just lined up behind a white line on the grass

You’ve run a 4 minute mile ?
    … and it was on grass ?
    😯

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I was a good club runner. Never got below 5 mins for a mile.I trained at least 4 times a week…. Its properly sprinting the whole way. I am stuck in the 6s now as 38 and just getting slower….

skids
    Free Member

so with enough training anyone can run a 4 minute mile, but yet no woman in the history of the world has ever come close to achieving it. Most people couldn’t run 400m in under 1 minute with training let alone do it 4 times back to back

dirtyrider
    Free Member

When I was fit and young enough to play regular rugby I once got under 5.20. being built like a hooker didn’t help.

quite impressive in heels

twisty

Need a VO2max of at least 75ml/kg/min to run a 4min mile. The average person only goes up to 50mg/kg/min with training, would require lots of drugs to make up the difference.

Sandwich

… and it was on grass

After he’d done a line too!

zippykona

I’m doing couch to 5k.
    My goal is to do it under 30 minutes once I’m running all the way.
    What is everyone’s 5k time ?

matt_bl
    Free Member

Zippy,

Once you get running all the way, you should crack 30 minutes. I have done a high 22, but I’m more like 24 at the minute. I’ve blown all my speed (such as it was!) doing long distance training.

Find a parkrun, great events and there are generally people around most paces to run with.

Matt

surfer
    Free Member

I got down to 4:17 and was training very hard. I wouldnt say no stone unturned but other than a couple of seconds improvement with even more commitment I dont think I could get much faster, I ran 53 ish for 400 and (what I thought was good) 1:26 for 600. I only ran 2:01 for 800 which was disapointing.
    More telling is a mate of mine who ran 28:15 for 10,000 on the track, 46:25 for 10 miles (!!!) and 62:45 for a HM. He only ran 4:06 for the mile. Its still a very difficult time to run even so many years later.

15:48 BTW Zippy

So in short I think you are right.

irelanst
    Free Member

Had a quick look and the Iffley festival of miles was won with 4:37, by a guy who’s ranked in the top 1% of the UK (UK registered athletes, not general population). He runs more than 100km a week every week and wins a lot of local races, so I’m guessing you’re right and your mate’s wrong.

Zippy – lots slower than surfer, 18:13.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m doing couch to 5k.
    My goal is to do it under 30 minutes once I’m running all the way.
    What is everyone’s 5k time ?

I did couch to 5K back in 2014 – was at about 33 minutes for 5K by the end of it I think, and had got down to sub 30 minutes within another couple of months. Took 2015 off from running and piled on some beef before starting running again earlier this year and am now down to 25:57 for 5K and 56:45 for 10K.

The fastest I’ve run a mile so far was 7:18 and there is not the slightest chance I’d get anywhere near 4 minutes no matter what level of training I did.

Sandwich

By the time I was finished the 9 weeks, the run time was covering between 5 and 6k depending on route used. Sub 30 minute 5k should be easily achievable if you’re a fit cyclist all ready.

nickc

Same as Stevemuzzy, I was a pretty good mid distance runner, and could (with huge amounts of hard work) get to close to five and half mins per mile, it’s bloody hard.

surfer
    Free Member

Zippy I dont mean to sound too elitist but I would be suprised if most people could not get under 30 mins for 5k. Under 20 is getting harder but under 30 with a bit of training and preperation is relatively easy (unless there are other limiting factors of course)
    I would even go as far as saying if you train quite gently then 30 mins is achievable.

tuboflard

I’d agree on the 5k target, 25 mins is a more than achievable time with a bit of training, and sub 30 should be more than ok.

plus-one

After 8 pints anything is possible FACT 😆

zippykona

My best 5k so far including the 5 minute walk each end is 31.50.
    Once I’m regularly doing running 5k non stop will I need to do the warm up and down walk?
    I’m running to work and once I get there I’m on my feet all day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Settle a pub row: couch to 4 minute mile (running)’ is closed to new replies.