Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • "Enduro" Full Face or Two Helmets?
  • shooterman

I’ve noticed a lot of riders on my usual trails have started wearing full face helmets as, since the trails were upgraded, there are a few fast downhillish and technical sections.

Got chatting to a chap wearing a full facer and it turned out he works in healthcare. He wears one as he says most of the injuries he’s seen are to the chin!

Question is, do I buy something like a Met Parachute to ride the whole trail on (even though full face only really required for about 25%) or just use my open face helmet and put on a “proper” full face on the fast risky bits? My pack has a loop for attaching a full face helmet to.

Any suggested full facers if that’s the way to go?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a tough call, I’m waiting for the new Giro to come out to try that out. Met was just on the edge of sizing. Personally I’d prefer the removable chin bar as it makes 2 helmets from one.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Wait for the Giro Switchblade?

A helmet is only as safe as the one your wearing, so if swapping helmets but in reality cann be arsed to stop and switch helmets – then what good is it. For everything but downhill tracks (where I wear a real DH lid) my S2R is great, although on long climbs I do detach the chinpiece. But its quicker than swapping helmets and lighter than carrying two.

The Switchblade is DH certified, so it is truly a one helmet for everything job.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomhoward

Isn’t the S2R DH certified too? Thought that was what was made it great, as opposed to the rather snappy, piercey forerunners?

SirHC

Don’t like the idea of strapping a lid to your bag, not going to be great if you land on it.

I have a Montaro for xc/trail/bmx track and a D3 for DH/uplift. Considering the switchblade, as the trails (accessed via fire roads) I ride on a regular basis are steep, technical and often quick, so a little more protection wouldn’t go amiss.

sideshow
    Free Member

Switching helmets sounds enough of a faff in an enduro race never mind on local trails. Fiddling with detachable chinguards is still faffy. Met parachute while warmer than an open helmet is pretty cool as full faces go, I’d get it and wear for the whole trail if you’re that worried. Bear in mind lots of crashes happen on easy sections when people go faster or let down their guard…

scc999

There’s also a new Leatt convertible helmet which looks better IMO than the Giro effort (if that matters to you).
    No idea about ETA to the UK though.

http://www.leatt.com/latest-news/pinkbike-take-look-2017-leatt-convertible-full-face-helmet/

Si

moonsaballoon

I have used my bell super more than I thought I would . I got it for enduro racing but have started taking the chin guard with me on trips to the Tweed valley when I am doing fire road ups and single track downs and it really isn’t any bother , takes no time at all .

Prophet2
    Free Member

What moonsaballon says, I have had my SR2 for a year, only attach the chin guard for going down the trails, leave it in the backpack for all the climbs.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The helmet part of the Leatt isn’t DH rated. It’s also ugly as hell. I’d go with the Giro.

No the S2R isn’t DH rated, from what I’ve read it’s because of the amount of ventilation the helmet has.

shooterman

Thanks to all. Any idea when the Switchblade will be available?

scc999

Tom_W1987 – Member
    The helmet part of the Leatt isn’t DH rated. It’s also ugly as hell. I’d go with the Giro.

No the S2R isn’t DH rated, from what I’ve read it’s because of the amount of ventilation the helmet has.”

Sorry, the OP didn’t specify DH rated.
    As for “Ugly as hell” have you SEEN pictures of the Giro with the chin bar removed!?! 😉

But looks are subjective, ratings less so…

benpinnick

The Super 2r is probably the best of all worlds, which is uncommon as its normally a compromise. Its a great trail helmet (open face) with a very competent full face option. Its not ‘DH’ Rated as the removable part makes it impossible to get the full cert as I understand it, but having run mine iton a few trees, I can _really_ personally vouch for the fact it works well. Proper game changer.

Northwind

The S2R doesn’t pass the ASTM dh standard but that doesn’t necessarily reflect on the protection- the ASTM impact test is inflexible so if it falls on a vent or other weak spot, it’s impossible to pass the test. Allegedly the Parachute was specifically redesigned to give it structure in the right place for the test, which is pretty daft if true.

(disclaimer- this is secondhand knowledge, the actual standards aren’t publically available and I don’t care enough to pay money)

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Bell super 2R seems breezy enough for full on trails too, which is nice.

scottfitz
    Free Member

He wears one as he says most of the injuries he’s seen are to the chin!

I call BS on that, my bet would be collar bones. I don’t think I know anyone that has injured their chin but know of 4 people with collar bone/shoulder injuries just this year.

Edit: not saying you shouldn’t get at FF helmet.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

scottfitz – Member
    I call BS on that, my bet would be collar bones. I don’t think I know anyone that has injured their chin but know of 4 people with collar bone/shoulder injuries just this year.
    Edit: not saying you shouldn’t get at FF helmet.

ok, so 1stly there was this:

then some years later ther was this, whilst wearing a bell super 2 r, but without the chin guard fitted 😳

i always bang my bloody chin… i’ve also had a spill whilst wearing the chin guard on the super 2 r and it did a very good job of protecting my rugged good looks 8) 🙄

benpinnick

but know of 4 people with collar bone/shoulder injuries just this year.

I may be one of those. TBH I was lucky as although I wasn’t wearing my 2r chin piece last weekend I did smash my helmet, but got away with it. A black eye, a bad ass bruise on my leg, oh and a comminuted fracture of my humerous (its in 3 bits) near my shoulder.

On reflection I actually wish I’d worn my chinpiece on my 2r, not because the black eye is anything serious (it looks like bad eye make up at worst), but because I know I was probably 2-3cm from basically death. I hit that rock HARD. Actually I hit several rocks hard, but the one only a slight head turn away from a one way trip to the morgue is the one that bothers me.

muttley109
    Free Member

I went down like a sack of shite about a month ago wearing a super 2R with chin guard. Broken ribs and a sprained pelvis. I didnt roll, I didnt have a chance to put an arm out I just went down. Hard.
    Next thing I know i’m face down just off the trail gasping for breath. I’ve no doubt that the super 2r saved my face from something nasty.

As it happens I was riding my Bird Zero!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Sorry, the OP didn’t specify DH rated.
    As for “Ugly as hell” have you SEEN pictures of the Giro with the chin bar removed!?!

But looks are subjective, ratings less so…

Dude, it’s got a bit of Steve McQueen moto styling – it’s high fashion!

greigb
    Free Member

I don’t think any manufacturer has quite got the convertible full face right yet, speaking in terms of chin protection vs cooling without the chin. Giro looks best to me but still seems like a lot of coverage over the side of head, can imagine it’s better than full facer but still pretty warm on the climbs. Looks are… interesting.

For me it’s full face on rides that winch up fireroads then go down steep stuff; strap helmet to a bag on the way up. For more undulating rides it’s open face and ride at 80% in the gnarlier sections; no guarantee but feels like a reasonable compromise. Adding goggles I feel adds a bit more facial coverage, and much better for keeping mud out than glasses.

I don’t race enduro for a number of reasons, but if I did the helmet situation would annoy me. I understand the liability part of needing participants to have one on at all times, but I think in a way it’s counterproductive for safety. There have to be more than a few people who would prefer to race stages in full face, but opt for half face because a fully on transitions is going to boil their heads. I like my teeth but think two helmets is a farce, so if I raced, I would more than likely get the Giro as the current best compromise.

shooterman

Went to the showroom of a large retailer today. The Bell is too small. It was really pressing in at the temples with the chinguard on.

I had phoned ahead to check they had the Bell and the MET Parachute in stock and was told they had. They didn’t in fact have the parachute. 100 mile round trip and then the staff member just looks at me knowing I had come 100 miles on a false errand. No effort to sort the situation by suggesting alternatives etc.

I swear I am as close as I have ever been to packing this sport in. Online bike shops just seem to be incapable of doing the simplest things / what they say they will do.

deadkenny
    Free Member

“Enduro!” look is regular lid and goggles. Full Face is not the done thing. And chicks dig scars.

😀

(I say regular lid, must be “Enduro Specific” of course, along with all your clothing).

Akegata
    Free Member

I have been mulling the exact same thing over and found a shop this week that had both the super 2r and parachute in stock. The new giro looks good but it’s over the ear in half helmet mode looked very cumbersome to me.

Tried both helmets on and the super 2r felt awkward and didn’t inspire confidence in either mode, it felt compromised fit wise. The parachute slipped on and was like a glove and didn’t feel like a full face at all.

End result I will be riding the parachute all the time and not care how silly it looks.

jimmy

That Leatt looks good to me

bbx1
    Free Member

Same here. Parachute on all day – fits much better for me personally than the 2r, plenty of air and don’t fancy cracking back on half a helmet in my bag.

cpaggen
    Free Member

Been wearing a MET parachute since early July. I’m never going back to an open-face model. Rode today in 26C heat for 4 hours with it and didn’t even think about taking it off.

singlespeedstu

I swear I am as close as I have ever been to packing this sport in.

😆
    Don’t let that door hit your arse on the way out. 😉

deadkenny
    Free Member

And yeah, collar bones would be my bet for most common. At least proper injuries. Been witness to and/or had to deal with so many and know a lot more who’ve done theirs. Scrapes don’t count.

shooterman

Went for the MET parachute in the end.

Northwind

greigb – Member

I don’t race enduro for a number of reasons, but if I did the helmet situation would annoy me. I understand the liability part of needing participants to have one on at all times, but I think in a way it’s counterproductive for safety. There have to be more than a few people who would prefer to race stages in full face, but opt for half face because a fully on transitions is going to boil their heads

I reckon so. And it leads to really odd sights, like a commisaire telling a “rider” off for pushing their bike up a hill with no helmet on. Where’s your helmet then chief? But transitions aren’t all simple slogs up fire roads

(I punctured in a stream crossing of doom on a transition on saturday, while I was fixing it another guy had a proper otb in the same stream…)

OTOH if I really wanted to race in a full face I’d just 2-hat it, I’d rather not- if nothing else, I don’t want extra stuff on my back in a crash- but it’s not the end of the world.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘"Enduro" Full Face or Two Helmets?’ is closed to new replies.