Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Settle a discussion – Water Ionizers and Alkalisers
  • Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

So, my girlfriend and I have a baby on the way and while far from being strapped for cash we are conscious we need to watch what we spend a little more as we go down to a single income for a while.

Bearing this in mind, today my girlfriend has forked out several hundred pounds on a water purifier/lioniser/alkaliser. Now, I am generally not very careful about what I eat/drink and she is the opposite. I hadn't even heard about the benefits of alkaline water until recently.

Searching the internet now shows many cited benefits and a few articles declaring the machines as useless and questioning the 'science'.

Does anyone have any information supporting the claims made by the manufacturers before we have a big fall out about what I feel is a stupid waste of money?

Cheers, Dave

kevonakona
    Free Member

Can't see the problem apart from in the digestive tract depending on pH on the water. The stomachs buffering is pretty robust.

woody2000

She's a mug frankly. Alkaline water 😆 Snake oil I say!

BigJohn

She, and the baby, will never have a day's illness from now on. She'll be feeling so much better for it and will have much more energy!

Got to be worth it.

samuri
    Free Member

You have a lot to learn about women my friend.

Lets say you get the evidence you need and present her with it. Now she will either feel bad because she's wasted money, or she she will feel humiliated because you've proved her wrong and either way, you're going to get it in the neck.

There's a third option (which is the most likely) in which she doesn't believe the evidence, is convinced it's all wrong and by association it'll be your fault. Get ready for the fireworks.

If you're going to have a long term relationship with this lady then you're going to have to accept you'll be wrong a lot of the time, even when you're right. Plant seeds and let them grow, that way she'll be able to jump to her own conclusions and think that they're hers. This works well with bosses too.

woody2000

samuri speaks wise words 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and will have much more energy!

for shagging ? RESULT!!

GrahamA
    Free Member

Snake Oil but if it makes her feel better its no worse than homoeopathy. On a more serous not if you are adding salt then you may need to be careful of residual sodium levels

matthewlhome
    Free Member

In my professional opinion – it will add no benefits to your water, but it might taste a bit nicer.

Personal opinion – she wanted it and will use it? Keep quiet and carry on.

More sensibly – if she is pregnant then check that the machine isnt doing anything weird to the water such as softening it will the addition of sodium, and that there are no 'not to be used by pregnant women' health warnings on it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol @ samurai 🙂

I would also point out that some women get a bit funny when expecting. Like refusing any second hand stuff for their baby and buying it all new, or spending £800 on a pushchair that's no better than a £300 one. Or any number of ridiculous things that they feel compelled to buy.

PS you can make water alkaline by putting bicarb of soda in it.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

for info, water from your tap must have a pH of between 6.5 and 10 according to the Drinking Water Regulations. Not sure why you would want it more alkaline though. Drinking Water standards do tend to be based on health advice (from WHO / EU) though…

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

She's right you're wrong! Not just on this occasion but in every discussion/argument you have from now on. It's the only way for a quiet life 😀

Moses

As an ex water softener salesman (for industry, not domestic purposes) I'd say snake-oil.

I'd say take it back while you can, especially if it's one where you have to add salt, as this raises the sodium levels.

But if you have to keep it, agree what a wonderful idea its pruchase was.

highclimber
    Free Member

hell hath no fury like a pregnant woman over-ruled by her non-believer husband!

definately a load of quackery.

My partner's friend refused to eat eggs and peanuts whilst pregnant in fear of giving allergies to the then unborn child!

pregnant women will drink piss if they are told it does the baby good!

lovewookie

Also, if you go out of your way to find out more, scientific based fact, it'll be considered an act of war against her personal ideals rather than you trying to further investigate the issue.

I fitted a carbon filter to our tap (£20 job), water tastes less of chlorine, I think. That's about as far as I'd go with any benefits of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Settle a discussion – Water Ionizers and Alkalisers’ is closed to new replies.