Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Setting up my Kaffenback for touring
  • tiger_roach
    Free Member

I have only toured on an mtb before and bought a Kaffenback F+F to build up something more specific using some road wheels I have. I am keen to use parts that I have if possible without compromising the end result too much. I am having trouble working out what to do about the drive chain.

I was initially thinking a fairly standard 10sp road set up, drops with a triple or a compact chainset but suspect a triple is more sensible. The only negative is that I'd have to buy quite a bit of this – I think the gearing would be OK for any climb I might attempt?

I wondered about mixing in some mtb components but I think this might be difficult to get right? Would have to be a 9sp set up I suppose.

So now I'm thinking about an mtb set up using touring bars, such as below, which I've never tried but think they're a good idea. I think then I could re-use standard mtb components with a 48/36/26 chainset and V brakes instead of the cantis I'd need for the sti levers on the road set up.

Is my last option a good one? Any other ideas?

http://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/product.asp?product_id=1408

robdob
    Free Member

I had a Kaffenback and set it up with straight bars and v brakes and it worked a treat. A lot of people don't like the bars you have pictured as they look a bit daft but they are very popular on the continent. If it's just gentle cruising then they should be ace. Make sure you can still fit a bar bag to them, another goodbpurchase if you don't have one.

No reason why you can't put a full MTB drivetrain on. I had a road triple and a 12-25 cassette but an MTB Triple with a 46/48t outer and a 11-25 cassette would work nicely. Even with a 28t inner ring you'd have a nice low gear for the big hills.

Make sure the wheels are strong though! I was going to go for Open Pro's or CXP22's on some nice shimano or goldtec hubs as they'd be ok for light touring but not heavy for commuting or day rides.

It's easy to put racks on the Kaff and the mounts are good. Get a rack which will let you put the panniers quite far back as the chainstay isn't as long as a proper tourer so you might get heel clipping issues.

robdob
    Free Member

Oh, keep the steerer long too, and put loads of spacer in as the Kaff has a short headtube. You don't want it too racy – you could always cut it shorter later on, but as they say, you can't make it longer….

cynic-al
    Free Member

The handlebar thing is very personal IMO, if it's a cheap option then go for it to try.

Baldysquirt

There did used to be an LX Kaffenback build, so mtb stuff obviously works ok on the frame.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

robdob – I don't want to use standard mtb bars as I found the risers I used on the mtb for touring before uncomfortable. Hadn't thought about the stays being an issue but the rack I used on the mtb that was fine should be OK right? Good point about the bar bag. I've got some wheels from a CX bike that I'm planning to use so hopefully they're tough.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Setting up my Kaffenback for touring’ is closed to new replies.