Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • setting up a singlespeed
  • al1982
    Free Member

i fancied building a single speed bike

bought a DMR single speed kit which inc a 16t ring

running a 32t front ring

QR drop outs.

install as per instructions with the chain going round the rear ring and over the dmr chain tensioner – i couldnt get the chain tight enough so tried running the chain round the outside of the chain guide – still couldnt get the chain tight enough.

so i bought a 20t rear ring, same situation again (having added a link to the chain)

so i bought a 18t rear ring, now this is the best so far (link removed – so chain in the same length as when i tried the 16t) but still i cant get chain round the rear ring and over the chain guide as it should be…..

what am i doing wrong…. do i need to change the front ring to 30t??

xiphon
    Free Member

Are the dropouts ajustable?

You need to tension the chain somehow

al1982
    Free Member

dropouts arent adjustable

the dmr kit has a guide that fastens to the derailleur hanger but it doesnt seem to work for me as dmr intend it to be used

ds3000
    Free Member

Do you have pic of the setup?

_tom_
    Free Member

Take some links out of the chain to get it tighter?

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Might need a half-link, although that would be unusual when using a tensioner.

takisawa2

Charliethebikemonger used to have a good video on his interweb site.

al1982
    Free Member

my set up looks very much like this set up but i thought the chain had to go over the chainguide rather than under it???

chain still seems ‘loose’

Rickos
    Free Member

It can do either, but over gives better chain wrap so less likely to slip. It should all work fine with 32:16 so not really sure what could be wrong. Any photos of your actual set up?

Muke
    Free Member

+1 Charliethebikemonger

[video]http://youtu.be/93M9lvl8LM8[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/L-n0m6jMOCE[/video]

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I use a simple tension seeker, run it underneath at the limit of adjustment. Whole drivechain is worn well beyond normal limits. Works fine. Tried mine pushing up but there was more adjustment down than up and I can’t quite get another link out.
    Put it under, it’ll be fine.

shermer75
    Free Member

The ‘half-link’ is your friend, young padawan

Purchase

OCB
    Free Member

Not the best picture ever, but I’ve got my DMR tensioner pushing upwards, and it works a treat (I am using a half-link chain tho’).

I’d go with the suggestion to add a half-link and then running the chain over the tensioner.

If you get with SS’ing, the Surly steel rings / cogs are great (in my experience), they are thick and have usefully long teeth, and if you are obsessive about chainline (and/or want some colour in your spacers), the every useful VeloSolo people have a great spacer kit, which will allow much finer adjustment than the DMR kit (which comes in an assortment of colours).

The chain doesn’t need to be crazy tight either, just tight enough – some give in the system is necessary (although this can be a very fine line, looking at some people’s pictures online 😉 ).

Ah, one last thought – tho’it might not be relevant, but the DMR tensioner doesn’t ‘work’ with forward facing semi-horizontal dropouts, but I’d be surprised if you have a MTB frame with that kinda dropout, as it’s more a road bike thing.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Surly ss rings and rear sprockets are the best
    Apart from maybe a eno freewheel but that limits hubs

cuckoo
    Free Member

Is the tensioner fouling the chainstay at all? I had this issue initially.

Charliebikemonger offers some niche chainring sizes if you need inbetween standard sizes e.g.35:17, 39:19 etc.

al1982
    Free Member

thanks for the help… half links look like a genius idea 😮

charliedontsurf

Try these..

The installation…
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=93M9lvl8LM8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D93M9lvl8LM8[/video]

And this deals with chain tension.. And stuff.
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L-n0m6jMOCE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DL-n0m6jMOCE[/video]

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘setting up a singlespeed’ is closed to new replies.