Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • AM wheelset – Are Flows still top of the pile?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

I’ve got around £300 to get myself a new wheelset for the do it all bike. The wheels will be doing xc loops and laps of the chase until the hardtail arrives, Welsh trail centres as well uplift days and bike park riding in the alps so they need to be strong and light. So far the list is:

Flow ex on Pro II – Heavy?
    CB Iodine 2 – Reliability?
    Mavic Crossmax ST – Used

LoCo
    Free Member

Hope with flow

GaryLake
    Free Member

American Classic

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What loco said.

twohats
    Free Member

Seeing as you seem to be doing more XC riding, the Arch EX may be worth considering, its more than capable of all the above.

Rosss
    Free Member

I considered the Arch EX but I doubt its up to the beating they’ll get from the ‘Bike park’ runs in the alps. I think i’ll spec the arch on the hardtail for lighter use down the line.

cnud
    Free Member

I’ve not bent a Flow ex yet and I tend to land heavy with my shoddy technique. Great wheel set on pro2 evo hubs.

twohats
    Free Member

I considered the Arch EX but I doubt its up to the
    beating they’ll get from the ‘Bike park’ runs in the
    alps.

You’ll find they’re more capable of a week in a “bike park”! Mine have done several hard riding Alpine trips with no issue, in fact its the only rim that I haven’t dented/flat spotted in the Alps!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Chain Reaction are knocking out Easton Havens for £280 a set, so cheaper than Hope/Flows and 300g lighter. They’re 2012 but Zyro are very helpful and have sent out the bearing upgrade for free within a week of me buying the wheels.

robarnold
    Free Member

Wicked Cycles’ eBay site are doing the Flow Ex on Pro 2 Evos for £285, I got some of the 29er versions last week. Very impressed

JohnnyPanic

^ I would guess that with 32mm rims & champion spokes they’re not going to be light. Good price though.

Rosss
    Free Member

Any chance of a link to the havens Munro?

matt1986
    Free Member

I’m getting a warranty rear hub replaced through work so have decided to get a pro2 set. My problem is I’m going Wales in 2 weeks and don’t think I can get any flow ex in that time because ill have to special order, so iv been looking either mavic en521 or ex823 I think the 823 would be a bit of an overkill though.

Rik
    Free Member

Are Arch EX rims as strong as the OLD Flows?

As the new Flow EX is substantially wider than the old flows – while new Arch EXs look wide enough and a very good weight!!

gra

Following this with interest as looking at purchasing some Arch ex wheels. Hope evo or DT 350 same price at Moonglu, any opinions on which to go for? Cheers.

jamj1974

I use flows but I think Arch’s would have done.

svalgis
    Free Member

I use flows but I think Arch’s would have done.

Same here. Do you reckon it’s worth the hassle and cost to sell them in favour of some Archs? I’ve been debating it but I keep coming back to “no, just ride them into the ground”. I didn’t notice the weight saving of going tubeless so 90g per rim will probably be less noticable than the loss in width (and perhaps peace of mind).

patriotpro
    Free Member

What nobeer says about what loco says for the safe bet.

What Garylake says if you can stand the word American emblazoned on you bike and want something different.

Crank brothers if you want a wheel set to test your patience with their legendary lack of robustness.

Northwind

Big thing about stans-on-hopes is that you’ll never struggle to get bits. I’ve got a really nice set of Fulcrums- basicallly Crossmax SX copies- which suit my bike perfectly but I’m taking them off for my holidays because if I burst a spoke, I’d be boned.

Having said that they’re not bombproof, I put a gigantic flat spot into my rear flow ex at fort bill earlier this year, and I cracked the flow I had on there before after 3 years of similiar beatings. Downhill capable for sure (and worldcup winners) but on the lightweight end of that sort of work.

jamj1974

Same here. Do you reckon it’s worth the hassle and cost to sell them in favour of some Archs? I’ve been debating it but I keep coming back to “no, just ride them into the ground”. I didn’t notice the weight saving of going tubeless so 90g per rim will probably be less noticable than the loss in width (and perhaps peace of mind).

I wouldn’t bother. I may get a set of the same Hope hubs on Arch Ex’s as an additional pair of wheels though. I do like the fact that Flows give a nicer tyre profile.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve just put a set of hans dampf on my flow ex and they feel not bad weight wise for a pretty robust set up. Nice compromise IMO.

twonks

If its any help, I just bought a set if arch ex on pro 2s.

At 105kg and on a sc superlight, they are performing very well at trail centres and have survived 2 days into a week in north Wales.

Played a bit in the new skills area at cyb last night and this morning, including rocks and small jumps around berms.

Feel very strong and solid.

svalgis
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother. I may get a set of the same Hope hubs on Arch Ex’s as an additional pair of wheels though. I do like the fact that Flows give a nicer tyre profile.

I left that part out but yeah, that’s also crossed my mind. Dual plys for the Flows and a pair of Arch EX with lighter trail tyres would be quite a handy arsenal if I get more into lift assisted riding (which I was kind of planning on for this season but hasn’t happened so far).

marco
    Free Member

Superstar are doing deals at the moment.
    Their switch hubs are awesome and paired with ZTR Flow rims will do what you ask.
    I have a pair and done 2 alps trips and inners etc. £200 bargain

wl
    Free Member

Very impressed with my Arch EX on Hopes. Taking some hammer on rocky trails in the Pennines.

jamj1974

I left that part out but yeah, that’s also crossed my mind. Dual plys for the Flows and a pair of Arch EX with lighter trail tyres would be quite a handy arsenal if I get more into lift assisted riding (which I was kind of planning on for this season but hasn’t happened so far).

Exactly my thinking!

wrecker
    Free Member

I put a gigantic flat spot into my rear flow ex at fort bill

You ride fort bill? I not sure you’ve mentioned that before…… 🙂

Northwind

I may have mentioned it once before, maybe twice 😆 But hey, it’s relevant to the thread at least, hopefully gives an idea of what it takes to faze ’em- ride a proper dh track, like a knob. I’ll replace it with another I think

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘AM wheelset – Are Flows still top of the pile?’ is closed to new replies.