Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Session Beer
  • johnny

So we’re coming into the Xmas season for paartays and the like and i’m looking for a good session beer.

I can’t be dealing with hangovers, and beer is the tipple of choice, so has anyone got any good recommendations for low ABV ales? Preferably ones that are actually nice! I was thinking of Adnam’s Sole Star, which is a virtuous 2.7%, but i can’t find a stockist…

Any other recommendations, especially if you know where I can get ’em!

warton
    Free Member

Stella

messiah
    Free Member

3.5% but oh my 8)

ton

saltaire blonde
    ilkley mary jane
    magic rock curious
    kirkstall pale

or any pale or blonde under 3.8

jfletch
    Free Member

Get it direct from the brewery in various sized containers. http://www.rebellionbeer.co.uk/beers/beer-calendar/rebellion-ipa.aspx

Best session beer going. Thread closed.

bokonon
    Free Member

How much have you got to spend?

How to disappear (or even dead pony club also by Brewdog) is lovely and light enough to drink a few, but it falls down, for me, on the session beer stakes for being a bit pricey for a case of them.

Darkstar Hophead is a good one at 3.8%, and Buxton Brewery Jacobs Ladder is also a good shout at 2.8% (10p per bottle going to the local MRT as well.)

There are a whole load at that percentage if you poke around.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Alton’s Pride @ 3.8%

http://www.triplefff.com/

Speaking to the owner of the brewery, its his recipe, they put a lot of work into getting this beer tasting like 4.5% brew while keeping the gravity down at 3.8%. They make many stronger brews that ‘pretty much make themselves’ but the Alton’s Pride is my favourite ale ever. I have never tasted anything below 4% that comes close.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Session beer is very subjective. 3.7% is strong to some.

The other thing to watch is that IME that “proper” beer from the little breweries always seems stronger than stuff from the big breweries. They say 3.7% and stuff but always get me pissed pissed quicker than stuff that is meant to be stronger from the main stream companies.

senorj

Lately I have enjoyed ….
    Loweswater Gold.
    Hogs Back Bitter
    & a Windsor & Eton Brewery pale ale thing.
    My idea of a session is now a sorry tale of two pints and I’m anyone’s!
    😀

nedrapier

Kernel Brewery does a very tasty 3.2% pale ale called “Table Beer”

jekkyl

mtfu! it’s Christmas.
    Stella!
    Just drink a pint of water with every pint of ale and then perhaps 2/3 more before bed.

Tesco are doing 24 cans of Stella for £16! The prices might go down again yet. Last year they did 24 cans for 12 quid but only for a week so you need to keep an eye out. Should have purchased enough then for the year!

johnny

Yuck, water!?

Please don’t sully this thread with the mention of Lager, especially wifebeater thank you! 😉

Some great suggestions; i’m pretty interested by some of the 3% is ones- and Rebellion IPA was already on the list- might nip down on Saturday for a polypin…

That Buxton brewery one looks ideal, might be a toughie to get for the weekend. (My first seasonal social)

seosamh77
    Free Member

Probably cause a few heads to explode at this suggestion, but I agree, stella4 or good old fashioned tennents! :mrgreen:

Keva
    Free Member

2.7% ? <snigger>

bigblackshed

Hook Norton Hooky 3.5%

LINKY

warton
    Free Member

Stella

with a nip every 2nd pint.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Most important question here – Location?

Beer is always better when local, IMHO.

rewski
    Free Member

The Kernel Table Beer 3.3%

hooli

Guinness. Higher ABV but surprisingly low hangover to pint ratio

birky
    Free Member

So we’re coming into the Xmas season

Spotted this in Munich last week 😆

warton
    Free Member

The Kernel Table Beer 3.3%

Kernel does some lovely stuff, but here’s a thought, space is at premium in the fridge at christmas, you want something you can lie flat. craft beer isn’t a great choice, as you need to let the sediment settle….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

space is at premium in the fridge at christmas

Easy solution – Beer Fridge! 🙂

Or, keep it in the cellar. (Sadly don’t have one in the new place. 🙁 )

ComradeD
    Free Member

Okells MPA 3.6%
    Ilkley Gold 3.9%

warton
    Free Member

or, metal dustbin in the garden

zilog6128

The other thing to watch is that IME that “proper” beer from the little breweries always seems stronger than stuff from the big breweries. They say 3.7% and stuff but always get me pissed pissed quicker than stuff that is meant to be stronger from the main stream companies.

I had an interesting chat with a microbrewer t’other day. He said the big brewers can brew to such accuracy that it will always be the minimum amount such that when rounded up (as allowed by law) it will be e.g. 3.7%. This makes it cheaper for them to produce obviously. A smaller brewer will not be as accurate so it could be slightly under or slightly over, but it will be closer to 3.7%.

Beer recommendations: I had a Manns Brown Ale from a selection of Winter Ales from Morrisons. It was surprisingly nice for 2.8%!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@CFH is correct, we need to know where you are as beer is best local.

If you are based near Guildford/Farnham – then Hogs Back Brewery have an excellent range. Go and have a taste.

olddog

I’d say pale ale tends to be good – Leeds, Saltaire, Ilkley and Wharfebank all do good ones.

Ton – you must be from my neck of the north

jekkyl

for the abv’s being mentioned here you might as well be drinking water. I stick with my suggestion of Stella with the occaisional pint of water. Or just drink a load of water before bed. You can get special Christmas stella with a red jacket, how festive is that?!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Brew your own:-) perhaps a bit late for Christmas season now though.

patriotpro
    Free Member

2.7%…no come on that’s silly.

Drink the beer that you want and alternate with a soft drink.

winston_dog
    Free Member

2.7% – I reckon it would be difficult to get pissed on that at all!

It sounds like all of negatives; bloated, peeing, calories, sugar, with none of the benefits?

A bit like drinking this when I was a kid, says 3.4 but it never was!

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

JHB from Oakham Ales is very nice at 3.6% JHB

jonahtonto
    Free Member

http://www.marstonspedigree.co.uk/otherales/pale-ale.aspx

i drank some by accident, it was very quaffable but i felt somewhat robbed when i noticed the %

messiah
    Free Member

FWIW I tend to go the other way for parties these days. Rather than take a stack of session beers which require to be kept cold and refreshed regularly I take one or two bottles of beer that change/improve as they get warmer; then I’m happy to sip and taste all night (and drink water to stay hydrated etc).

john_drummer
    Free Member

Some people are missing the point here.

A) not everybody likes Stella.
    B) OP wants to be able to have a few without [/I] getting completely legless.
    C) getting completely legless is not big and it’s not clever. Just because it’s Christmas does not make it alright

jambourgie
    Free Member

Stella

ourmaninthenorth

Adnam’s Sole Star, which is a virtuous 2.7%, but i can’t find a stockist…

Booths.

If you’re blessed enough to live in the right part of The North.

philtricklebank

Marston’s Pale Ale 2.8%, 89p for 500ml, Home Bargains. Perfectly drinkable.

ourmaninthenorth

Oh and +1 on the recommendations for local and Hook Norton.

I grew up just near Hooky, so that was the beer of choice. It’s just as good today. As my FIL puts it: “easy drinking”.

My favourite beer, which fulfils the local*, session and great flavour requirements is Prospect Silver Tally.

*local to where I live, and often found in my local, with the eponymous pub a short taxi ride/lift away.

jekkyl

A) not everybody likes Stella.

Weirdo!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Session Beer’ is closed to new replies.