Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Session Beer
  • spawnofyorkshire

Ilkley dinner ale is a very pleasant and refreshing beer. 3.3%

winston_dog
    Free Member

B) OP wants to be able to have a few without getting completely legless.

Why?

C) getting completely legless is not big and it’s not clever. Just because it’s Christmas does not make it alright

Yes it does.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    winston_dog
    Free Member

no it doesn’t

What has the drink driving thread got to do with this? FFS!

shermer75
    Free Member

johnny

i’m back.

I completely agree, local is a good thing: i’m in South Oxfordshire/Chilterns, so the local list is thus:

Mr Chubbs
    IPA
    hoppit

And yes, I’m not looking to get too wasted. I have kids, a limited amount of free time, when i want to be functional, capable of interacting with others or going for a ride/ doing stuff the day after.

Downing chemically lagers, climbing lampposts with my pants on my head and coming on to my mates’ other halves, plus enduring morning after hangovers are a waste of that. Also, I have an amazing capability to guzzle beer at an unseemly rate, which is why i don’t want strong stuff. I want to quaff a-plenty and get pleasantly merry on nice ales.

john_drummer
    Free Member

What has the drink driving thread got to do with this? FFS!

grow up

think about it. if you’re that intent on getting rat-arsed and see it as a good thing, then I don’t want to be sharing the roads with you the day after.

winston_dog
    Free Member

grow up

think about it. if you’re that intent on getting rat-arsed and see it as a good thing, then I don’t want to be sharing the roads with you the day after.

Why would I be driving the next day? 🙄

warton
    Free Member

And yes, I’m not looking to get too wasted. I have kids, a limited amount of free time, when i want to be functional, capable of interacting with others or going for a ride/ doing stuff the day after.

Downing chemically lagers, climbing lampposts with my pants on my head and coming on to my mates’ other halves, plus enduring morning after hangovers are a waste of that. Also, I have an amazing capability to guzzle beer at an unseemly rate, which is why i don’t want strong stuff. I want to quaff a-plenty and get pleasantly merry on nice ales.

Stella?

MasterOfNone
    Free Member

Recommendations for Beer:
    Hobsons Best (3.8%)
    Hobsons twisted spire (circa 3.6%) but very tasty!
    Hobsons Mild (3.2% i think) really nice during winter
    Titanic Steerage (3.2% as well i think)
    All great session beers

Recommendations for maximising fridge space:
    Beer does not want to be fridge temperature, we live in Britain, outside temperature is usually cool in December. Leave the beers in a box outside the back door… cellar would be ideal though.

jekkyl

be alright going for a ride though, eh John? you won’t lose your licence for being drunk in charge or a bicycle. Stella!…. makes the trails come alive….. the next morning! I get the ops point though, you probably wouldn’t feel like a ride after a heavy sesh.
    If I’m doing a heavy sesh then I get special dispensation from wifey for her to look after kids in the morn while I have a sleep in/take it easy. And then repay it for her christmas do.

john_drummer
    Free Member

<gives up>

winston_dog
    Free Member

johnny on his Boxing Day ride.

johnny

Sensible points about drink driving, of course, but my real interest is that A) I don’t want to get shitfaced in 2 hours, and B)I have a burgeoning social calendar (I know!) with several events at mine and others to come.

Out of the time off i have for Christmas, i don’t want to be feeling crappy, and there’s always the potential to spend a week over xmas in varying states of wastedness. This time of year, natural light is a premium, so hiding my head under a pillow with a methanol migrane seems a bit of a bad option.

dannyh
    Free Member

Marston’s Burton Bitter

Woodford Wherry

Adnams Lighthouse

To name but three – all under 4%, all delicious!

ton

i am going out on the sweary northerners xmas rid/piss up on sunday.
    we will be drinking…lots, we will be riding our bikes with lots of ale in our systems.
    it will be fun…… 8)

dannyh
    Free Member

Just seen ‘chocolate sombrero’.

I assume that is a double-entendre.

If not, it needs to be…….

johnny

Winston- 😀 Have you been stalking me over past Christmasses?

Actually, I have a scar on my nose where i rode into a concrete drainage culvert after a whisky session….

To add to the comedy, the bike in question was an old commuter, with similar amounts of rust to that one. I had a basket at the time though. 8)

_tom_
    Free Member

All beers around 5-6% should be session beers. And if they aren’t then you need to sort your sessions out 😛

winston_dog
    Free Member

Winston- Have you been stalking me over past Christmasses?

It’s not me it’s them!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Downing chemically lagers, climbing lampposts with my pants on my head and coming on to my mates’ other halves,

The importance of the word “to”.

duffmiver
    Free Member

i’m in South Oxfordshire/Chilterns, so the local list is thus:

shandy?

johnny

CFH- on to or onto?

The former is still possibly a risk, the latter i hope i’m past, along with the days of “ET’s Heart”.

😯

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Johnny, was more thinking of how it would read if the word was absent….

bokonon
    Free Member

Brew your own:-) perhaps a bit late for Christmas season now though.

I brewed a light ale yesterday intended for Xmas – I can generally turn round brews in 3 weeks, from brew to drinking if they are light enough – 7 days ferment, 14 days maturing – bottles rather than kegs helps that. It’s my second Xmas batch, so I’ve already got 40 bottles of a dark beer as well.

johnny

Thought that might be the crucial point… A mate once had a t-shirt with the slogan ‘I came on Eileen’. Ruined the song for me, that one…

noteeth
    Free Member

For the sou’westers, Otter Beautiful Daze (Bitter) 3.6%.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

It is written, so i’m told, that any beer drunk in festive cheer must not have an ABV below 6%. it’s the law.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

This then allows you to engage in combat with your brother in law, thus removing one of the internal doors from it’s hinges.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

messiah– where did you get the clown shoes choclate sombrereo? 9% abv–proper session ale that ! see they do a Tramp Stamp pale ale (belgian style)amongst many other s–do they have a distributer in the uk ?

hooli

I reckon you will drown before getting drunk on 2.8% beer 😆

mefty
    Free Member

South Oxfordshire – Brakspear Bitter 3.4%

Houns

Pieface

Castle rock harvest pale is good

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Saltaire Blonde or Copper Dragon Golden Pippin 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

2 and 3% beers? I reckon the op just wants to pee alot rather than have a session! 😀 Probably better aff stick to the coca cola! 😀

igm

Round our way, York Brewery Guzzler.

In Oxfordshire, down near the south coast, not a clue.

jonnyrockymountain

Smirnoff and Pepsi max (loads of ice)
    No hang overs and no beer belly?????

NZCol

Jesus tell me about this. NZ is the land of 7% hop bombing IPAs, trying to find a decent beer that you can sup away on for a long period without ending up offering to show everyone your elephant is quite hard. We brewed up a reasonably mellow but flavoursome IPA that was 3.7%, it had just enough body in it to carry the hops. 280 litres gone in 5 days (sold) so i think that will be done again although i have sold my brewery. I tend to stick to emersons bookbinder as its 3odd% and you can drink a lot of it.

_tom_
    Free Member

Smirnoff and Pepsi max (loads of ice)
    No hang overs and no beer belly?????

this is what I do most of the time now tbh. Beer makes me feel too bloated and full. Get drunk quicker on the vodka as well 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Session Beer’ is closed to new replies.