Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Selling a car quickly – help?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Need to sell my Mondeo sharpish! Need £3k for it (less than the going rate)
    Anywhere that will buy it off me for a decent price? need the cash for a van 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

we buy any car dot com

djglover
    Free Member

ebay

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    firestarter
    Free Member

i sold two cars to we buy any car and i got over book on both

dooosuk
    Free Member

Gumtree is worth a shout as it's free.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

we buy are too far under the real value

firestarter
    Free Member

must have been lucky with both mine then mate

racing_ralph
    Free Member

any more ideas?

Johnboy373
    Free Member

We made £1000 on her Tigra when we sold it to WE BUY ANY CAR. Really quick and painless service.

Although we did buy her Tigra for a song 😆

tron
    Free Member

Firstly, do the same stuff you would do if you were selling any car. Clean it, hoover it, make it smell nice, empty all your rammel out of it and put some tyre black on.

Then stick it in Autotrader. Nobody buys the paper version, and ads go online straight away. Make sure you do not miss any calls, and can answer buyers questions without hesitation. Here's a rough list:

When was the cam-belt last done?
    When does it need doing again?
    Who owned it before?
    Has it had a battery?
    Has it been serviced? By who?
    Has it broken down?
    Has it been crashed?
    Has it had a new flywheel (likely to be asked if it's a diesel with a few miles)?
    Is it rusty, if so where, how much, and for how long? Due to a stone chip or coming from the inside? It's useful to be able to talk in terms of 5p, 2p etc. sizes if there is rust.

Last car I bought was a Golf for my girlfriend. The bloke had advertised it about half an hour before I rang him, and I bought it because he was the first person who could give me straight answers to my questions.

If it's priced well and in good nick, you will sell it quickly. There are always people looking for new second hand motors because their old one has died. There is also a fair shortage of reasonable second hand motors at the moment due to general lack of funds and scrappage hoovering up a lot of older stock.

woody2000

Can't you just trade it in for a van?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

trying but private sellers seem reluctant 😉

uplink
    Free Member

As above re Autotrader but make sure you put a landline number down as well as a mobile
    I would always look at those with a landline before others

tron
    Free Member

Of course, the other thing you can do is type up some for sale notices, stick them in the windows and park it somewhere a lot of people will see it (and can stop to look at it).

dn-chevy
    Free Member

send me details lookinjg for new car

crazy-legs

Stick it on the Classifieds here – may sound daft but they're great bike-carrying cars and you'll probably find some interest plus you'll have the karma of it going to a fellow STWer. 😉
    Otherwise Autotrader – I sold my old van on there within a day or so.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Details are here
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mondeo-tdci-estate-3200-53-plate

No addy in your profile. £3k on the nose if bought off here

hora
    Free Member

Jesus, good car and its under book. You need to add more detail IMO.

When was the last cambelt change. How many stamps in the book and at what mileages. What did the MOT advisories say? How long have you owned it/how many owners, any jobs that will need doing in the coming months?

It just helps- also pics!

Android
    Free Member

Why not put an ad on here with photos and information, rather than just gassing about it??

racing_ralph
    Free Member

right – services every 10k, 3rd owner, no advisories on the MOT, Had it for 10 months. Needs the sidelight bulb changing and 2 new front tyres (both will be sorted before its sold) – oh and the rear wash doesn't work but the wiper does!!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

#
    Android – Member

Why not put an ad on here with photos and information, rather than just gassing about it??
    Posted 58 seconds ago # Report-Post

like this one??
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mondeo-tdci-estate-3200-53-plate#post-1015951

No pix as its too snowy and the car is buried! Oh and its a TDCI zetec in navy blue with roof rails

tron
    Free Member

oh crikes.

You write something along these lines:

Mondeo TDCI Estate

XX thousand miles, always serviced on time, MOT and Tax remaining for XX months. Has always been reliable and comfortable transport, with loads of rooms for bikes in the back.

New DMF and Clutch – this is the one big bill you can expect on modern diesels, and the job has been done.

And so on and so forth. Sells a lot better than a list, although you should list all the extras it has. I would guess that as standard that car probably has climate control, electric driver's seat height adjust, electric mirrors, tilt and reach adjustable steering wheel etc. A lot of people won't assume it's got that stuff, and it can be make or break in selling a car.

Selling a car is not an effort free affair, but the effort you put in generally pays off at a damn good hourly rate…

hora
    Free Member

Im in the market soon for a diesel estate- wrong timing though. Either that, a Berlingo or a Passat is on my shortlist. 🙁

Someone bite the mans hand off please!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

hora – when are you thinking? i am happy to keep hold if you want it?

hora
    Free Member

Right car, wrong time though. Got to sell my lovely Forester first and either MOT/sell the Peugeot 306 on the drive or scrap it otherwise I'll end up looking liked a poor used car dealer forecourt 😆

racing_ralph
    Free Member

emailed you dude

iDave
    Free Member

what happened to the need for a 'sharpish' sale?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

best things come to those who wait. I have a van i really want but am not prepared to lose £1k by pissing around and rushing – que sera sera and all that.
    I have lost lots on cars over the last few years by rushing, this needs to stop so if someone wants it for a good price i can wait a few weeks, if the van sells, it sells!

spooky_b329

Rob, as far as I'm concerned, thats a bargain…and I've posted on your add to that effect 🙂 To be honest I was optimistic with the price and I was quite happy to haggle down to sell it to the first viewer.

Loved that car, it drove really nicely and was plenty quick 🙂 The guy that bought it had been viewing big petrol estates all day and I got the impression this was the wildcard, he wanted a nippy tow car and I think the acceleration from the 130TDCi surprised him 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Rob I need to get my ass in gear but the Forester is making things difficult.
    Its MOT is due next month so am getting 12months ticket on then sticking it on autotrader. Plan is to get my Peugeot on before.

TimS
    Free Member

Autotrader +1

It went on Monday night, got 30 (yes, 30) calls on the Tuesday and sold it that night for more than I was asking. Think I may have put it on for less than the going rate 🙄

spooky_b329

Autotrader +2

Put my Mondeo on there for an 'optimistic price' and took a good offer for it 24hours later, second caller, first viewer 🙂

Only regret, I paid £40 for a three week advert deal as I thought it would be hard to shift!

br
    Free Member

fix the washer, take out the back seats and paint the side windows – its a van now

spooky_b329

PS…my rear washer didn't work either, turned out the little nozzle was blocked. Managed to get a dribble but then the pipe popped off and I was greeted by a sheet of green screenwash running down the inside of the rear window 🙂

It was less than £3 from the Ford parts desk 🙂

smurf
    Free Member

Try my brother – http://www.sella-car.co.uk. Tell him Simon sent you his way.

Simon / smurf

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Odd… my rear washer stopped working last week during the big freeze too.

Saw the ad and it does sound like a bargain! Try pistonheads – classifieds in there are free and very popular.

hora
    Free Member

Put a note up at your local taxi companies or speak to the controllers. Think I'm kidding? They'd go crackers for one of these.

i sold two cars to we buy any car and i got over book on both

I just entered my car details. I know my car is as rare as rocking horse poo and I was abit insulted by the price offered (lower than trade in).

vinnyeh

Like TimS and Spooky, I stuck a 3 week ad on Autotrader, selling a high mileage 03 Mazda 6 – first caller in a couple of hours was a dealer, came up the next day, and took it way for £50 less than asking. Had loads of calls about it over the next couple of weeks til I figured out that you could take the ad down…

But I was surprised by the response- guess it might have been a touch underpriced, but had a couple of problems (both remote transponders stopped working, crack in the airdam, really shabby alloys) that probably would have put off a private buyer, but I wanted to move it in a hurry.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'd have it in a flash! But couldn't justify 2 cars when I barely travel any miles so insureing a proper car and the toy (MG midget) would be vastly disprortional to their use!

DezB
    Free Member

Autotrader! I just went downstairs after ensuring my newly created ad had appeared on Autotrader when the phone rang. "Still got the Saab?"
    An hour later bloke comes round and gives me the money.
    Can't get quicker than that!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Selling a car quickly – help?’ is closed to new replies.