Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Self fitting of Headsets?
  • sam_underhill

I'm fairly competent mechanically. I haven't got a headset press. Can I do it with a piece of threaded bar and some large washers under a couple of nuts? I take that tapping it in with a hammer means it hasn't got a hope in hell of going in square?

How tight do I need to go?
    Is there a likely hood of wrecking the frame?

I'm assuming LBS will charge me lots to fit a mail ordered headset onto a newly bought (from stw classifieds) frame.

druidh
    Free Member

sam_underhill – Member

I'm fairly competent mechanically. I haven't got a headset press. Can I do it with a piece of threaded bar and some large washers under a couple of nuts? Yes

I take that tapping it in with a hammer means it hasn't got a hope in hell of going in square?

Depends on you're thoughts on the power of prayer.

How tight do I need to go?

Cool guys go all the way.

Is there a likely hood of wrecking the frame?

Yes

I'm assuming LBS will charge me lots to fit a mail ordered headset onto a newly bought (from stw classifieds) frame.

£10-15? What is the frame worth?

scaredypants

what druidh said

if you're mechanically competent I think there's a tiny chance that you'll bugger it up – just check now & then that the rod remains centred in the cup and the cup remains level. I'd always "pull" the cup in using the nut at the oppsite end of the [edit: head tube], not sure why but it seems right to me.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I use a bench vice which keeps everything parallel, but hitting it with a piece of wood to prevent cosmetic damage works too. You'll only damage the frame if you are a hamfisted numpty

AndyP
    Free Member

if you haven't got a headset press – use a big wooden hammer. Will be fine unless you miss the headset and hit the frame, repeatedly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

There are headsets that fit themselves?

ajantom

Frame > Helper to hold still > block of wood underneath headtube > headset cup > block of wood on top > rubber mallet > bit of patience > don't whack too hard at first > Bob's the guy who sleeps with your aunty.

Done it many times, with many frames, over many years. Take your time and it will be fine.

DezB
    Free Member

Before I bought a headset press, I used a G-Clamp. Worked just fine.

tinsy
    Free Member

ajantom has it….. but a threaded bar would be better, I just never remember to get some.

sam_underhill

cheers guys. I think I'll grab a piece of threaded bar or a long bolt from the local iron mongers. Less risky than the wood / mallet option.

Seems like patience and constant checking it's in straight is key.

Do I need to worry about facing the headtube? it is new btw.

druidh
    Free Member

Having seen the state of a new frame recently, I'd say yes.

scaredypants

facing?

have you got a relevant tool?

if not, fit the cups & see if they sit square. if they don't then consider getting it faced

pantsonfire
    Free Member

You can get a cyclus headset press from wiggle for £35 it will last you for ever and will pay for itself the 3rd time you use it. I have had mine for about 4 years and fitted somewhere around 12 headsets on my bikes and my mates.

MrAgreeable

My experience of bodged headset installations is that they never go in straight (the threaded rod and washers method allows for too much waggling, unless you weld the washer to the nut), and you need to use a lot of force to get them in. If it's a nice frame or headset, I'd take it to a shop.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

My experience of bodged headset installations is that they never go in straight

you're not hitting hard enough

Olly
    Free Member

Yesterday, wise bike bodgery guru olly would have said

"bike shop ballsy it uppy, bike shop replacey framey"

but a young padwarn yesterday pointed out to me, possibly due his vision being unclouded with the thoughts of a million tumbles to the head

"bike shop ballsy uppy, bike shop do best to concealey first"

in short, i would go with a threaded bar and a fair amount of paitience myself.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Fitting headsets always used to really worry me, until I bought a headset press. I'm really glad I did.

sam_underhill

pantsonfire – perfect, thanks. The right tool at the right price. That'll pay for itself very quickly.

Lactic
    Free Member

Tried the threaded bar homebrew press recently and couldn't get the damn thing to stay straight. Felt I had much more control with the mallet and bits of wood method. Not sure I'd try it on a carbon frame mind you 😉

MrAgreeable

you're not hitting hard enough

So your advice to all the "ham-fisted numptys" out there who damage their frames is to use more force? 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Only done it the once, used a threaded bar, two blocks of pallet wood drilled through and a couple of big washers with nuts.

If you seat the wooden blocks on the headset cups and do one cup at once you shouldn't have a problem, i found everything went very smoothly.

I may buy a headset press next time though.

schnullelieber
    Free Member

i do like like Muddydwarf but to keep the threaded bar straight and stop it waggling about i pad it out in the headtube with foam pipe lagging. Keeps everything straight cups go in first time.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

So your advice to all the "ham-fisted numptys" out there who damage their frames is to use more force?

if you've managed to get the cup crooked, then sufficient force (ideally at the right place) will knock it straight again 🙂

I really think the bench vice method is best – open jaws, offer cup to frame, wind handle, repeat for other cup. Very quick and simple with guaranteed parallelity (I like saying that word:)

it's also great for pushing shock bushes and generally hitting, bending & holding things

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I like SFBs vice method, but in the past I've ALWAYS used a hammer and wood. Never had the slightest problem, and I must have done dozens by now.

petefromearth

i use a threaded bar, which initially had the problem of sending the thing in wonky if you weren't careful. before that i hammered it in and i did almost deform the headtube once or twice. i wouldn't risk it on a nice frame

i turned up some aluminium washers with shoulders that fit nicely into a King/headtube and keep everything square. took about half an hour, and everything came out of the scrap bin at work. i realise not everyone has a lathe they can use at lunchtime 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Self fitting of Headsets?’ is closed to new replies.