Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • self employed contractor working in Sydney – visa needed?+good MTB in Sydney? ;)
  • back2basics
    Free Member

seen a contract for an IT job over in sydney, how does it work with OZ if they company Invoice me directly as an off-shore company (self employed) paying UK taxes? do i need a work visa for OZ?
    I am assuming i would if i wanted to stay in Sydney for longer than a tourist passport stamp would allow….

Cheers for any info.

konabunny
    Free Member

1) yes, you need a visa. No, it’s not particularly easy

2) yes, if you’re working in Australia you’ll need to pay Australian tax. No, you can’t legally dodge it just by having an offshore company paid

3) yes, there’s reasonable mountain biking in Sydney

Mackem

You can get a management company to sponsor your visa, they’ll sort out your tax for you. It’s what I did in Sydney. The mtbing is not a reason to go there.

back2basics
    Free Member

i’m not dodging the tax here in the uk, i’d pay it obviously but dont want to pay double the tax if i have to pay it in OZ too 🙁

Mackem

You wouldnt have to pay the tax in UK.

NZCol

But you would need a visa for sure, and don’t go on a tourist visa looking like you might work or you will have a very expensive and boring flight there, and then back.

stevied
    Free Member

Plenty of biking around Sydney. Manly Dam, Oxford Falls, Red Hill all around Manly. I found the shops were very useful for info when I was out there..Brookvale Bike Factory and Bike Addiction were both very helpful

antennae
    Free Member

My riding mates who moved there gave up mountain biking and now go surfing instead. Make of that what you will…

If you’re under 30 you can get a working holiday visa, which could make things easier.

back2basics
    Free Member

thanks for the advice everyone,
    shame about it being so complex!
    under 30, long time since i was that 🙂

batfink
    Free Member

Hello….. I live in Sydney.

If the company sponsor your visa, it’s not too difficult. Don’t get seduced by the high wages advertised – Sydney is expensive.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘self employed contractor working in Sydney – visa needed?+good MTB in Sydney? ;)’ is closed to new replies.