Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Self build shed.
  • jam-bo

I need a new man cave. Got the space to go as big as planning will allow (5×3 metres).

How hard is it to buy the wood and build it from scratch? Is it even worth it?

Looks to be £1200-£1600 to buy a pre-fab that I’d have to then erect anyway. I guess that’ll buy a lot of wood…

catfood
    Free Member

My dad has built several, along with lots of other stuff, but he was a carpenter.

Watching him do it seemed fairly straightforward, build a frame, then attach boards across, sort of. I would imagine there are lots of online guides.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How hard is it to buy the wood and build it from scratch? Is it even worth it?

Looked into it many years ago and the general consensus was that buying a cheap shed works out less expensive than buying the materials. Unless you can nick the stuff of course………which is the case for many carpenters.

EDIT : 5×3 metres is huge 😯

catfood
    Free Member

Ernie, you callin my dad a tea leaf?

jam-bo

5×3 metres is huge

Storage for 4 bikes, two kayaks, three surfboards, workbench, tools and a load of garden stuff. I want some room to move so I reckon that’s about right…

Mowgli
    Free Member

Check out Stoner’s shed thread. Puts all other sheds to shame.

(ha. try saying that quickly 8) )

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not just your dad catfood …….. all carpenters/building workers who can get their hands on some gear from site. Breaks my heart if ever I have to buy fixings/materials…..I tellya. What they charge for timber, box of screws, etc, is just silly money, criminal in fact – shouldn’t be allowed imo.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As ernie said, timber ain’t cheap at the moment either! That sort of size you’re gonna need some decent sized timbers for the Walls! I’d also 12mm min ply the roof to stiffen it all up!

soobalias
    Free Member

went down the self build route
    6mx3m, double glazed window units, mezzanine loft space, deck
    basic electric connection, underfloor insulation.
    walls and roof not insulated

£3K

ciderinsport
    Free Member

I want one of them ^^^ 😆

MikeG

Nice shed 🙂

Got any pics of the inside or during construction. I could do with building one about that size at the top of our garden.

What did you do as a base?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Self build shed.’ is closed to new replies.