Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Handbuilt 29er wheels?
  • slparsons
    Free Member

Hey,
    I’m considering a Salsa Vaya build.
    Where can I get handbuilt 29er wheels please?

I’m thinking XT 6 bolt hubs and DT Swiss/Mavic 719 rims 32 spokes; anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve built 2 sets! – Both Stans rims, with Hope and King hubs.

I’m no pro, but none of my wheels have fallen apart (Yet… 😉 )

Are you anywhere near Farnborough, Hants?

Seriously though, for 29er wheels, I’d use Stans over Mavic. Superb quality rims and they build and true up beautifully. 🙂

MrTall
    Free Member

I had a set of XT hubs on Stans flow built up for my Salsa Fargo in November and have been very happy with them. (36h/32h)

I’m no good with wheels so My LBS built them for me with the cheap rims i got from Wiggle.

They were also building up a Vaya (as a very nice commuter) for another customer and he used DT Swiss rims, can’t remember the hubs though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mavics are great rims and stans as good but lighter/more expensive. Unless you are loaded touring I can’t see pst open pros.

TooTall
    Free Member

Speak to your LBS – 29er wheels are wheels and if they build wheels, they can build 29er wheels.

Duc
    Free Member

Sideways cycles built my front maverick hubbed wheel (stans Arch) and Just riding along my rear

tk46hal
    Free Member

Hi,

Get your local bike shop to do it! I’m having a set of Salsa 29er rims built onto Hope pro 2 hubs for my new build. My local shop has given me a great price for parts and free labour.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I’ve got a 6 bolt XT rear hub (boxed and unused) you can have for £25 Inc postage

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Try “Just Riding Along” built me a set of Stans Arch onto ZTR hubs and they have been faultless for well over a year now.

chutney13
    Free Member

also used just riding along. faultless.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’ve built several sets, not difficult. Drop me an email if you want to, or just a decent LBS that has a good reputation for quality builds.

slparsons
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys,
    LBS is my prefered option, but a little spicy at nearly £300. I’ve never understood wheels and prefer to leave it to those that do, though thanks for the offers of support.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

My hope/stan set PeterPoddy did for me have been raced all year & are still excellent.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Handbuilt 29er wheels?’ is closed to new replies.