Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Self Amalgamating Tape – anyone used it?
  • bellefied
    Free Member

Just bought a brand new bike and before I do too much damage to it, want to put chainstay protectors on it – but its a white frame so was looking for something other than the usual neoprene.

Saw some self amalgamating yachting tape being sold for chainstay protection and was wondering if anyone had used it before?

Looks old school so will probably go down this route but wondering if there were any downsides to it?

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve used some black stuff from screwfix, I’ve used the bike branded stuff from biketart in the past but it’s much more expensive, a bit sticker so easier to apply but the screwfix roll is staying put. It’s a big roll too so will do 5 or 6 bikes at a guess.

Bregante

Yep. Great stuff. I use it on my chain stay and also on my fork crown to stop cable rub.

scruff
    Free Member

How tough is it? I used SUGRU stuff on my chainstay as a bumper from the clutch lever but its cut right through.

easygirl

Used it on chain stays and it stays put, bought from screwfix, much cheaper jan bike specific
    Been on my bike for a good 12 months now

Bregante

Not as hard wearing as an inner tube, but it looks neater. The stuff on my fork crown has lasted about 18 months of reasonably light usage but is now overdue a replacement.

easygirl

Oops

bellefied
    Free Member

thanks guys – gonna mosey over to the yacht chandlers at lunchtime 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Let me know where you’ve seen the white stuff? Only black at screwfix and maplin.

bellefied
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member

Let me know where you’ve seen the white stuff? Only black at screwfix and maplin.

any yacht chandlers should have it, didn’t manage to get down to the harbour at lunch but I called them – its £5 for 5m.

google “PSP Marine Self Amalgamating Tape” – they have it on ebay too

I’ll pick some up tomorrow and let you know how I get one with it

GrahamS

B&Q had white and red last time I was in.

I got their last roll of black!

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Apologies for being a harbinger of doom, but I would imagine white won’t stay white for long.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Self Amalgamating Tape – anyone used it?’ is closed to new replies.