Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Seat post shims. Plastic or ally for maximum post grip ?
  • TheSwede
    Free Member

As above. Thinking of a gravity dropper post with a 30.9 – 27.2 shim.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Alloy

mickasaki
    Free Member

You may need a bit meatier seatpost clamp aswell, i was unable to get a bolt type hope clamp to tighten enough to grip the post without fear of damaging the threads, and had to get one a bit more heavy duty to do the job! Oh, that was an alloy shim, dont know if the plastic ones squash better!

singlespeedstu

Plastic with carbon paste. 😆

druidh
    Free Member

I've been struggling to get a (new style) Hope QR to keep my GD in place using a plastic 30.9 – 27.2 shim. Carbon paste or not 😉

I've fitted a cheapo M:Part bolt-up seat clamp and that's working just fine.

MrTall
    Free Member

I've tried both and had little success with either. My 27.2 Thudbuster would not clamp up tight enough in any of 3 different frames using a shim (30.0, 30.9, 31.6). The only way i eventually got it to stay in my Kona was using a double width clamp which was heavy, ugly,non QR and left an imprint in the paint on the frame.

Never tried the carbon paste though but would try it next time. Apart from the cost, the fact that gravity droppers only come in 27.2 and usaully need shimming is the main reason i won't part with my cash yet.

jfb01
    Free Member

If you are using a gravity dropper , so you will not need to slide the post up & down why not locktight or glue the shim to the seat post?

mboy
    Free Member

KS i900 post?

It comes in 30.9 too mate

Personally I prefer mine to the Gravity Droppers I've tried, and it's WAY more reliable than the Maverick/Crank Bros post too.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Ok thanks all except you stu.
    Decided not to bother now. Mark, I hear bad things about the KS i900 as well so I'm sitting tight until some one eventually come up with a decent one. see what I did there. Descent, decent. I'll get my coat.

singlespeedstu

TheSwede – Member

Ok thanks all except you stu. 8)

The GD on my Paradox works very well with my setup.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Ok ok thanks to you to stu. Dont most seat posts drop 4"s with you on top of them any way.

singlespeedstu

No. You're confusling me with Wok Boy.

TheSwede
    Free Member

He may have the odd pound on you but there can't be much in it 😉

singlespeedstu

I'll ignore that comment. 😆

TheSwede
    Free Member

No you wont. You will think about it for a while then probably not have that sandwich you were thinking about earlier. You will buy skimmed milk next time you shop and make sure your not seen again in public with him for fear of being called twins. That comment will change your life for ever.

singlespeedstu

I could get as fat as The Wok but I'd still not be mistaken as his twin on account of I can ride and he can't.

That and i ain't a ging. 😉

TheSwede
    Free Member

singlespeedstu

That reminds me I need to go to the chippy.

Got a few extra pounds i need to catch up on.

TheSwede
    Free Member

😉

Hairychested
    Free Member

Stu is spot on, carbon paste and plastic shim (or Durex and super glue if you prefer).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Seat post shims. Plastic or ally for maximum post grip ?’ is closed to new replies.