• This topic has 42 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Olly.
Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Sealed, Unsealed, Shimano, Hope… Help!?!?
  • jim
    Free Member

Oh and the Hope freehubs are pretty much bombproof

A while back I was wondering why the freehub in my Hope XC was sounding a bit odd. I opened it up and found that a couple of the ratchet ring teeth had been turned into small slivers of metal.

Hope did replace it and the bearings for not a whole lot of money though so I’m not complaining.

retro83
    Free Member

poppa – Member

retro83 –

Not that i’ve used Hope, but I don’t think it matters if the smallest few sprockets are not on a carrier. This is the case with XT cassettes for example. I assume the reason is that with the small sprockets it is difficult to generate enough torque to cause damage, e.g. in comparison to the larger radius sprockets.

Cheers poppa!

Olly
    Free Member

i wouldnt touch shimano with a 10ft sh*tty stick.
    not that im knocking it, but hopes piss on them for reliablility, and ease of looking after.

cup and cone is the faff to end all faffs, and then when the freehub goes you need a new servicible unit, and the cups and cones and freehubs all work loose over time, and you get play and there arnt enough pickups (i find) in shimano and eugh, ranty ranty ranty.

dont get me wrong they are good hubs, but hopes are SO much better for little more investment.

hope XC on a 717 rim has cost me 40 quid second hand before…..

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Sealed, Unsealed, Shimano, Hope… Help!?!?’ is closed to new replies.