Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • SE Essex mountain bike club
  • Country_Gent
    Free Member

We've tried to piece together a decent loop in Danbury a few times. Apart from the bombholes to the south of the Maldon road all of the woods now have big "No Cycling" signs.

Me and my mate have been repeatedly stopped on the times we have tried anything to the north of the A414 and told cyclists are not welcome or allowed.

Are we looking in the wrong place?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Yep, looking in the wrong places. There's lots to be had if you know where to look. let me know if you want a tour sometime and I'll see what I can do.

retro83
    Free Member

I must be looking in the wrong places as well! What C_G describes is pretty much my experience with the area. Nice cake shops though. 😀

schmiken

If you fancy a bit of a trek north you can hook up with us TROG boys!

Country_Gent
    Free Member

I'll speak to the lads then and see if it's worth getting another search party out for a loop. Will let you know fromage-pied! 😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

When you cross the A414, try taking the bridleway opposite Runsell lane and the one that goes into the woods at the end of Fir Tree lane. These are both Bridleways and there is plenty to explore. best time to go is in the evening or early morning – quieter then

fogliettaz
    Free Member

I used to live down Fir Tree Lane and there are some great trails there through to the Heather Hills also across the road from Fir Tree Lane through the woods to Blakes and along Great Graces Walk,towards Chelmsford, "some say" that this is haunted! so don't go alone.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Graces walk – excellent crossing the haunted bridge at night in fog where the little girl allegedly drowned 😯

Oh, Please stay out of Blakes Wood though. There's been some issues with access & landowners which resulted in big fences and big signs. Which was a shame

fogliettaz
    Free Member

I moved from Little Baddow back in the 80's so did not know about Blakes biggest shame about Danbury is the removal of Treasure Island on the Common or at least thats what we called it when we were kids!

ianpinder
    Free Member

There is a se essex bike forum, I'm just trying to remember what its called.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Ahh yes, Treasure Island. that were proper ace! As was the various little 'circuits' that were to be found on the open bit of the common.

Mind you, there are some fantastic bermed, droppy, swoopy runs there now. There are even signs up warning people that there is MTB activity on the more extreme terrain!!

retro83
    Free Member

I moved from Little Baddow back in the 80's so did not know about Blakes biggest shame about Danbury is the removal of Treasure Island on the Common or at least thats what we called it when we were kids!

Hell yes! Many happy saturdays spent trying to break my bike on the island!

First time you dropped in over those roots at the top was terrifying. All you'd hear over there all day was kids shouting 'COMING IN!' then the noise of some crunchy old bike banging down the hill 😆

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Have you ever tried the pits behind the Royal Oak, they are used on a regular basis for motor-cycle trials, also the woods at the back have routes through to the entrance to the Warren Golf Club, there used to be some single track that ran alongside the golf course through to Twitty Fee.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

"All you'd hear over there all day was kids shouting 'COMING IN!' then the noise of some crunchy old bike banging down the hill" Which is pretty much what you still hear at the bombholes today!

We saw a group of cubs doing the big bombholes several times over summer this year. They had the look of excitement/joy/terror on their faces!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Royal Ok isn't what is was now – remember going off the bill drops there on my racer!

cyclesouthend
    Free Member

Just wanted to let everyone know there is a group ride that leaves from the ReCycle Centre (www.cyclesouthend.co.uk/recycle-centre) at 9am on Saturdays. These guys all met on Cycle Southend’s led rides and have since then set up their own mountain biking group. The rides are ideal for beginners.

For the more experienced there are rides leaving from Grips in Rayleigh Tuesdays at 7pm.

If you’re interested in getting involved with Hadleigh, please contact us at cyclesouthend@southend.gov.uk.

tobyho
    Free Member

and if anyone is looking for riding in the Chelmsford area get in touch with me via the board. we ride Danbury as well as all the areas that have been mentioned in this thread (galleywood, mill lane, hylands, ingatestone and more etc).

jimble624
    Free Member

is anyone going for any evening rides over thornden next week…that wouldnt mind me tagging along…

retro83
    Free Member

tobyho – Member
    and if anyone is looking for riding in the Chelmsford area get in touch with me via the board. we ride Danbury as well as all the areas that have been mentioned in this thread (galleywood, mill lane, hylands, ingatestone and more etc).

OMG somebody else rides in Galleywood!!

tobyho
    Free Member

Galleywood – yep. We have a nice little trail going down the big hill on the the right hand side of the road, when going down. It is called Coed Y Dick.. If you ever see us about we can explain why it is called thus..

retro83
    Free Member

tobyho – Member
    Galleywood – yep. We have a nice little trail going down the big hill on the the right hand side of the road, when going down. It is called Coed Y Dick.. If you ever see us about we can explain why it is called thus..

Been riding that a lot lately myself. Nice little run. Good fun in the dark!

Lost the front wheel on the pile of logs just before the stream crossing and nearly detached my nutsac, so cheers for that 😉

bigdawg
    Free Member

anyone been over the downs lately – just wantto know if its still a mudfest…?? My littluns been asking me for weeks when can we ride by the castle again…

tobyho
    Free Member

retro83

we also ride galleywood and hylands at night and thence to the pub.. never seen anyone else up there. what days do you go ?

where else do you ride ? we also have the now famous Milk Snactcher route incorporating Galleywood, Ingstatone, Fryerning and Hylands – which is perfect in the mud on the singlespeeds. Perhaps you could come out with us one day..

dantro
    Free Member

I do an 18+ mile ride starting at Raphaels Park, through that over the A127 into Bedfords Park, from that past the green at Havering Atte Bower into Havering Country Park, through that then down a couple of farm back roads into the back of Hainault Country Park, then you do as as much of that as you like, its a nice ride, with only minor road riding.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘SE Essex mountain bike club’ is closed to new replies.