Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • SDW Starting at Washington – Any interesting diversions to take?
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

As title, off with a few running friends and I am the only cyclist so will be off on my own. Any interesting riding or just stick to the SDW. This is the run route
    0.0 miles – run up hill, turn left at the top, continuing on SDW.
    1.3 miles – Chanctonbury Ring
    2.0 miles – to note, where our loop completes and we head home.
    3.6 miles – SDW crosses road, Steyning Round Hill to left. Don’t cross the road, head south on footpath.
    4.6 miles – crossroads, turn right.
    5.0 miles – Lynchpole Dewpond.
    5.8 miles – come to a road, pick the furthest left (east) footpath to go around Cissbury Ring full circle.
    7.2 miles – arrive back at the road, take footpath heading North (not the one we came in on).
    7.4 miles – cross over Monarch’s Way.
    7.8 miles – crossroads, continue North.
    8.3 miles – fork in path, take the right one. Yes, not the wrong one, but also not the left one, but there will be one left that isn’t right that’s wrong.
    9.1 miles – arrive back on SDW (mile 2 point), head west and back home.
    10.2 miles – to note, path turns right and head downhill here.
    11.1 miles – route complete, you’re a hero. Go directly to pub.

john_l
    Free Member

Plenty of options. Follow the above until you get to Chantonbury & then continue to drop down until you come to a x roads, turn left & follow your nose or sweet in a bit further & then do the same. Loads if stuff in Steyning woods.

DrP

When you planning on this..? If I’m free, I can pop up and take you round for a local spin.

Then kill you. Ignore that…

DrP

johnj2000
    Free Member

Steyning Woods I am guessing will be obvious when I get to the 3.6 mile mark on the route above?

Going Sat morning DrP

DrP

Busy sat am…
    I’ve made a little route here you can do – pretty much what we’d do on a Tuesday eve ride..
    SDW ride

When it ‘finishes’, just turn left back down the big ol’ hill you started up…

DrP

johnj2000
    Free Member

Thanks DrP, much appreciated

DrP

No worries. I’ll be waiting with a man trap at about the 6 mile mark.

Ignore that.

DrP

johnj2000
    Free Member

I will hear the screams of the runners and avoid 🙂

DrP

Well, how was it??

DrP

johnj2000
    Free Member

I enjoyed th ride but didn’t fid the woods. Met a man with a map around the right point and we located the woods on the map and also located a danger zone which mentioned guns. I pootled along the SDW towards Devils dyke in the hope of an obvious detour towards certain death by firing squad but nothing apart from a hunt with hounds not guns.

john_l
    Free Member

That’ll have been the (defunct) rifle range. You were in the right area 🙂

DaRC_L

That’ll have been the (defunct) rifle range.

Aka the Beechwoods, just along from the Upper Horseshoe which is just after Steyning Bowl…
    not that I had to run them regularly when I was at school

And beware the mad ‘oss lady.

wwaswas

Article in yesterdays Argus about Steyning mtb;

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11666781.New_path_to_keep_horse_riders_safe_from_bikers/

Is the mad horse woman the same one as in the article?

It’s actually worth reading the comments for further background, btw.

bigyinn
    Free Member

That article ^^^ has got to be the first one which has almost all positive comments regarding the cyclists.
    Shame the article seemed to gloss over the detail which was mentioned in the comments.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘SDW Starting at Washington – Any interesting diversions to take?’ is closed to new replies.