Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • +1 for On One
  • darkcyan
    Free Member

Ordered my Chunky Monkey yesterday at 1.00 pm.

Delivered 8.30 am today. Wow!

19 quid for the dual compound 2.4. Amazing?

Great work On One.

Gonna try the CM front and rear on my SS over the winter. As the weather changed I was getting rear wear slippage when out of the saddle.

Quite intrigued by running them front and rear.

Any thoughts?

robhughes
    Free Member

Smorgy out back.Great combination.

Lummox

Great as a rear just a bit wide. Smorgasbord is a great alternative

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, bit too draggy on rear.

I’ve been riding an Ardent 2.4 rear, which I’ll probably swap for a Minion DHF 2.5 for the winter.

Both are excellent IMO. Smorgasbord’s OK too, but a bit less edge grip.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Hoping it fits on my fortitude out back. Should do.

DC

darkcyan
    Free Member

Yeah, going for grip over speed.

Thinking 26 / 28 psi?

andymc06
    Free Member

First ride this week with CM front and rear on the C456 Evo. Didn’t find it noticeably cumbersome and it gave great grip, climbing and cornering. I’ll certainly be leaving it on the rear for a bit. Was running a Racing Ralph but now the mud has returned it was too slippery!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tubeless okay on these tyres?

andymc06
    Free Member

Not officially tubeless ready but set up tubeless very easily for me on Flow Ex. No issues at all so far and I’ve been running the front for months. Before that had them on a Nomad on Flows. Also fine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Excellent. I’m loathe to come away from spesh tyres tbh, but at that price…..

fr0sty125
    Free Member

They are excellent but definitely different characteristics to DHF and DHR II not better or worse just different.

muggomagic

Good to hear that, as have been thinking of buying a CM as I’m going to be using my 29er HT through winter and will give a chunky monkey a go up front, but had been put off by the threads on here. Only concern is if it’ll fit in the RS Recons I have. If not I’m going for a WTB Vigilante.

ojom
    Free Member

And oddly the sister company can’t seem to progress or even process my order for a handlebar of which they say they have 40 of. Both members of staff on the phone say it is weird and it should have shipped on the 2nd. Yet also seem unable to do anything to actually make it ship.

Weird huh.

chakaping
    Free Member

Only concern is if it’ll fit in the RS Recons I have

Was tight but did fit OK in a Revelation arch, is that the same shape?

Couldn’t use a fork arch mudguard at the same time, buzzing drove me mad.

martinhutch

My recons had significantly less clearance than the rebas that followed them, so you are right to wonder about it.

darkcyan
    Free Member

CM debut as a rear. Not good. Very draggy. Was the trail extreme. Would the endure have been better. I think the purgatory is going back on.

Any thoughts?

nuke

Not bloomin surprised, its a big 50a/42a tyre and doubt the enduro would be that much better: I run a CM on the rear tubeless (with a 2.5 Minion up front) but thats my trips away combo like the Alps. Smorgasbord rear with Hans Dampf front is my preferred choice for my riding around Surrey way

darkcyan
    Free Member

Yes. Brilliant front. Not so good rear!

andymc06
    Free Member

Try a bit more pressure or get stronger legs?

Paceman
    Free Member

Post-purchase angst again Darkcyan?

get stronger legs

+1 😀 LOL

Get a fatbike then you won’t care or alternatively ride with slower mates 😉

wwaswas

Maybe go up a cog size at the back for winter?

Speeds tend to be lower anyway so you’re unlikely to spin out and you still get the grip but it’s easier to keep momentum up?

Or, as above, get a fat bike – you don’t know what drag is until you’ve got a 4″ tyre at 7psi 🙂

scandal42
    Free Member

The CM is absolutely fantastic for smashing through absolutely anything on the front, not sure I would want to run one on the back though as it is massive.

I have a CM / Smorg combo that seems to be a great match.

Paceman
    Free Member

Or, as above, get a fat bike – you don’t know what drag is until you’ve got a 4″ tyre at 7psi

Exactly, quit your moaning and get on with ignoring the pain like the rest of us 😉

darkcyan
    Free Member

Lets continue this discussion once you have tried them on the rear!

Super tacky for sale – hardly used BTW! 😉

Paceman
    Free Member

Lets continue this discussion once you have tried them on the rear!

I had no problems with them last winter 😉

muggomagic

Leave the CM on and ride with us at the back of the group or if you’d rather not I might be in the market for a slightly used tyre.

Paceman
    Free Member

Get to the back and suffer in silence with the rest of us Darkcyan 😉

darkcyan
    Free Member

hmmm – what’s it like back there?

spectabilis
    Free Member

I run a 2.4CM TE I’m the back of my Stooge. I didn’t find it draggy at all? Infact I was surprised by how well it rolled even on tarmac considering the size of the thing (especially on Dually’s) and how supple it feels.
    Awesome grip out on the trails tho.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Guess it depends on your starting point.

I can tell you compared to a purgatory it’s draggy.

DC

Paceman
    Free Member

Tyre choice is arguably the biggest game changer on a bike, particularly in the British winter, so everyone has their opinion and their favourite combo. Tyre pressure, rim width, trail surface, riding style and rider fitness all play their part too in how a tyre feels.

Don’t worry DC, judging by local conditions last winter we’ll soon be doing our best not to crash into trees… praying our tyres were more draggy. 😉

darkcyan
    Free Member

Back on the purg Thursday. Felt good.

sack of spuds in the shed. Front CM faultless.

dc

bi6al
    Free Member

Would love to recommend this company but the tyre I ordered was despached on the first of oct
    And still has not arrived ,was told it has to be missing for 13 days before they can take any action ,
    After 13 days they told me to go and check with post office ? Have had to use PayPal claim to recover monies paid
    Due to no answers from customer service dept. so please consider this when ordering from affore mentioned company .

muggomagic

Used the WTB Vigilante up front today. Even in my state I was pretty impressed with it. Think it’d be absolutely fine on the back too.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Hope u r feeling better!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘+1 for On One’ is closed to new replies.