Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Scottish riding conditions – round-up
  • Stu_N

Bored of not riding much for the past 3 weeks, we went down to Dalbeattie today. Hadn’t been there for quite a few years.

Overall, riding well – snow completely gone apart from in very sheltered spots, and singletrack riding very well.

There was quite a bit of ice on some of the forest roads – generally patchy rather than continuous sheet ice, mostly on semi-shaded bits – just take care at the ends of singletrack sections! The ice was visible and on all apart from a couple of very short sections we could ride through it or round it.

Coming from Livingston there is very little snow after Forth and by the time you get to the M74 it’s almost entirely gone. Would imagine Drumlanrig, Ae, Mabie and probably Kirroughtree are all riding well too.

Anyone got any reports to add from the weekend?

marky-p
    Free Member

any idea what carron valley is like?

DickBarton

According to the FC it is closed…probably rideable in parts.

thegman67

Carron Valley is a no go heavy snow and covered in ice

lovewookie

Yep, riding up and around Glasgow is hellish. All compacted snow is now glassy ice, a lot of the snow has gone, but the main tracks are pretty dangerous.

Once I can sort out a bikt for the roads, I’ll be diggibg the ice tyres out.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Not riding today but walking on Beinn a’ Ghlo (Glen Tilt area). Main tracks icebound and essentially unrideable despite seemingly sparse snow cover.

Surprising just how little snow survives just north of Fife, yet my street is still like a farm track somewhere outside Murmansk.

Spaceman
    Free Member

Innerleithen DH trails all totally ridable today,had a mint day’s riding. No snow under the trees atall, bit of snow on the middle road, top road totally clear, FC had obviously been out clearing the snow.

We were just about the only ones there, saw one other guy doing DH and a group off round the XC trail, five cars max at peak carpark occupancy..

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Drumlanrig was unbelievably dry and riding superbly today. There was a light frost but no snow left and no mud or puddles to suggest it was even there 😮

sharki
    Free Member

All good and most the snow has melted in Moray area.

balfa
    Free Member

Didn’t see any snow or significant ice at Mabie today. Quite a bit of frost damage to the trails though so a little bumpier than normal. Very dry trails as well.

craig1975
    Free Member

Drumlanrig is riding really well just now, was there on saturday with a few mates, we had a blast 😀

my Local trails around Mugdock are practically unreadable and with more frosty conditions last night and today, it doesn’t look like they are going to be accessible any time soon 😥

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I was surprised by the extent of the thaw as I drove up to Aviemore this weekend. Having said that, there is still significant snow, and although cover is not continuous, biking would be problematical along the entire A9 corridor and in the Badenoch/Strathspey area. Back in Kinrossshire, biking is a certain no-go. At least in Aviemore some snow has thawed back to the grass. No chance here.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Yep, doesn’t seem to have been much of a thaw in Fife! Was over visiting folk in Currie today and there seemed to be much less snow. Road bike is the only option here at the moment although that’s potentailly pretty dicey with the lack of gritting. The short drive to the supermarket today was pretty dodgy!

Sanny
    Free Member

Mugdock was not too bad yesterday. Avoid the main compacted trails and it’s suprisingly rideable. Ride a bit slower and more cautious than usual but still a great day to be out. However, a cycle of freeze – thaw will make things more challenging!

I just wish Fishers would hurry up and despatch my Spiker Pros which have been on back order from before we had the first flurries of snow!

Dougal
    Free Member

Had a walk in Blairadam yesterday, it’s a bit of an iced-snow disaster for riding, those some folks were out.

epicyclo

Up around Contin & Strathpeffer is clear

Diane
    Free Member

For now ! 😀

StirlingCrispin

Stirling – conditions are superb!
    Just don’t touch the brakes or attempt to steer 8)

monstamo
    Free Member

Anyone been out at GT or up round Pitmedden? Had planned to give Blairadam a go come Saturday but given the forecasts, don’t think that’s gonna happen.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The Lomonds were an ice fest yesterday. My road near Kirkcaldy is like a farm track north of Vladivostok. No shortage of optimism for Wednesday’s night ride though.

stooo
    Free Member

As mentioned – Innerleithen is all clear. I was in a big XC group on Sunday and we even did some off-piste stuff. All great fun, though natural stuff is pretty muddy n slippy.

Only annoying bit of snow we hit was on first section of make or brake after top road… couple of inches on all the doubles in the trees meant you couldn’t really pin that section.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Scottish riding conditions – round-up’ is closed to new replies.