Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Scott Genius – how tough?
  • smogmonster

Question for any (current model)carbon Genius owners – im looking at buiying one at the moment, but having seen it (Genius 20 + 30) in the shop, it looks, well, fragile. I have a Spark, so im used to light bikes, but i cant help but wonder if the Genius is too fragile for its travel? Any owners out there able to reassure me, bearing in mind it'll going to Spain and (possibly) the Alps during the next year.

Bregante

I agree that it Doesn't look like the hardest of "all mountain" bikes but having said that I went to the Pyrenees last summer with Altitudeadventure.com and they have Scott Genius' although they tend to ride their newer (burlier) Ransoms most of the time. I think with bikes like this, it's probably as much about the ability of the rider

ie: hamfisted, clumsy fat get with v.little ability (me) = probably not the ideal rider for a Genius
    or
    talented, experienced former XC racer turned pyrenees guide = Genius will probably cope with pretty much anything barring DH 😀

TooTall
    Free Member

Are the carbon bikes that much lighter? I had one of the older Genius bikes and the alu frame was only .5 lb heavier than the carbon one.

Bregante

From talking to Ian at Altitude adventure, (he used to work for Scott) it's not so much a weight saving issue, more one of added strength/stiffness over the Alu bikes. The Alu Ransom has snappage issues and the Carbon one is far more reliable

Chris_Cov_Cycles
    Free Member

We've been running our demo Genius 30's for the past year or so, they have been generally used and abused both in the UK and the Alps and apart from general servicing, they have going great guns. Can't recommend them enough!!

If you're look for a deal on a large one, check this out ;0)

2009 Genius 20

Cheers
    Chris

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thought the Genius was still long travel xc rather than 'all mountain'? Its had some good reviews. Think the alu frame of the new version is also only about .5lb heavier.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

The new Genius is a far better bike than the old one, had one and it was great, better up and down than the Ransom. The Ransom will be replaced next year.

Kramer
    Free Member

I've got a Genius 20 and I really like it, and I'm a fat knacker.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Scott Genius – how tough?’ is closed to new replies.