Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Scott Genius Bent Derailleur Hanger – Ideas?
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

OK have a Scott Genius MC30 Carbon with a bent rear mech hanger.

As some of you will know, the rear end is aluminium and the hanger is NOT REPLACEABLE! ("Genius" obviously doesn't refer to the designer!)

Will look into a replacement but if I try to sort it meantime by bending it back (with the correct tool) should I heat it a little before attempting to bend it?

Or is there any place that could retrofit a replaceable hanger to the stays?

JohnnyPanic

I think 'officially' you're supposed to replace the whole rear section. I would get advice from the dealer – they may have come across this before.

iron_maiden_man
    Free Member

Park do a mech hanger tool, That'l do the job no problem, don't heat it as your more likely to cock it up and melt it or weaken it, Also retro fitting isn't the best idea.

bassspine
    Free Member

try to straighten it in as few moves as possible, Aluminiumium is work hardening, so the more you work it the more brittle it will get.

(I have heard of rubbing soap on ally, then heating it till the soap goes white, bend it then. Problem is, go a few degrees more than that and it melts or burns!)

jamie@balfa
    Free Member

New Chainstays are around £60 i think.

If its the first time its happenned it cant be such a bad design. The frame must be 4 or 5 years old? Most people would do a couple of mech hangers in that time.

J

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Yeah I have the mech hanger tool. I'll try Bassspine's bend it in as few moves as possible method.

It's only a couple of years old (bought as an "old" model) and doesn't get ridden much as the owner has a garage full of Cervelos.

The hanger is thicker and stronger than normal but I still think it's a poor design to have to replace the whole rear end rather than a £20 bit of metal.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Scott Genius Bent Derailleur Hanger – Ideas?’ is closed to new replies.