Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Science vs Religion..
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Duffer
    Free Member

This is the meme that always sticks in my mind when this subject comes up:

It was particularly poignant when i saw it at the time. (the version i saw didn’t have the ‘massive balls’ comment, which somewhat undermines this one)

lemonysam
    Free Member

jon1973
    Free Member

It was particularly poignant when i saw it at the time.

It’s a bit unfair really. The Nazis did a lot of experimentation on humans during the war in the name of science, but that shouldn’t be how you define science.

I’m not a religious person by the way.

Drac

Exactly religion didn’t shoot anyone and without science the gun wouldn’t exist. An arse shot a schoolgirl.

Drac

jon1973
    Free Member

Nice Simpsons quote

I find the defendant not guilty. As for Science versus Religion, I’m issuing a restraining order. Religion must stay 500 yards from Science at all times.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Nothing expresses a lack of intelligent opinion more clearly than copy and pasting someone elses “meme”……

…….and what about religious scientists, where do they fit into this scheme of self-congratulatory mocking?

bearnecessities

schnullelieber
    Free Member

More importantly what is the correct plural for tyrannosaurus Rex? Tyrannosauri Rex?

Drac

Nothing expresses a lack of intelligent opinion more clearly than copy and pasting someone elses “meme”……

…….and what about religious scientists, where do they fit into this scheme of self-congratulatory mocking?

Not sure if they’re higher or lower on the list that those who copy memes for a bit of fun.

Cougar

How is a picture of something which could be interpreted one of two ways in an optical illusion stylee “self-congratulatory mocking”?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I think the poster is trying to suggest that reality is completely a matter of individual interpretation.

… and there was me telling myself I wouldn’t get involved in this one…

molgrips
    Free Member

Religion shot a 9 year old girl

Oh don’t talk crap. I didn’t see the Pope issuing that particular command, did you?

Some nutter shot a 9 year old girl, that’s what happened.

PS I like the OP, very funny 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

An arse shot a schoolgirl for religious reasons

Science clearly trumps religion as one is factual and one is not.
    Neither has all the answers and both contain plenty of unknowns but only one has a method* for answering them.

* I guess you could argue faith is a method but really this means ignore the doubts/errors/inconsistencies and just believe.

molgrips
    Free Member

Religion has a great answer for feeling better about your ultimate death.

I could use one of those, tbh,

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh don’t talk crap. I didn’t see the Pope issuing that particular command, did you?

I did, however, hear the last-but-one Pope claim that an invisible fairy woman had bent the path of an assassins bullet enough so that he survived it.

Apart from omitting to give any credit to the team of medics who battled for 11 hours to save him, he didn’t say that he’d asked his protector why she didn’t prevent the bullet hitting him at all…

PS:

I didn’t see the Pope issuing that particular command

Apparently it was some bloke called Alfred Lah. Whoever HE is…

Drac

Religion has a great answer for feeling better about your ultimate death.

That’ll burn in hell?

I prefer that I’ll be remembered by my family.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ah it’s Friday!!

Some will be eating fish, others will be bashing on STW – “religious” regularity 😉

Really must be time for a sticky…..

mudshark
    Free Member

The OP was fun, the follow up was just stupid. Do stupid things like that just please those already in agreement, mean nothing to those who oppose, and push the undecided further away.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

How is a picture of something which could be interpreted one of two ways in an optical illusion stylee “self-congratulatory mocking”?

I’m just predicting the wave of semi-abusive self-congratulatory posts (of which you Cougar have been a prime example of in the past) referring to God-botheres, sky-pixies, child-abusers etc by the “oh I’m so rational I’m a scientist” types.

Well I am a scientist, a “real working one”, not a “keyboard warrior ex-science grad who couldn’t cut it so went into IT/media/management one” and I find the anti-religion bias here strange & unpleasant when the mere whiff of any other cultural/racial/gender bashing brings out the pitchforks and banhammers.

Guess every “culture” has it’s bogey group eh, seems that STW’s is people of religious faith.

Happy Dawkinsmas to you all

Duffer
    Free Member

Neither has all the answers and both contain plenty of unknowns

The difference being that science knows it doesn’t know, and will change it’s views based purely on what’s ovserved.

If tomorrow someone proved the existence of some kind of higher power, then that knowledge would simply be incorporated into science. Would the reverse be true?

kimbers

to be fair jivehoneyjive and his ickeisms were mocked as well hilldodger

molgrips
    Free Member

Science and religion aren’t really competing for the same ground.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

There’s no such thing as “Dawkinsmas”, either…

cloudnine
    Free Member

The moment we want to believe something, we suddenly see all the arguments for it, and become blind to the arguments against it. GBS.

stumpy01

Why does it have to be science & religion….? It is possible to have both.

nickc

[checks calender/]

you know, I’m sure this wasn’t due for another couple of days…

We need to do Helmets, wheel size, death penalty, economics and speeding before another religion thread.

Drac

Why does it have to be science & religion….? It is possible to have both.

Of course.

richmtb

We need to do Helmets, wheel size, death penalty, economics and speeding before another religion thread.

Nah the “making progress vs child killing maniac” driving thread was yesterday.

Anyway it was a funny first post.

Does science or religion have a view on tubeless tyres?

avdave2

Being an atheist one always thinks I came to this belief because I am an intelligent human being.
    Then one reads what other atheists write and one realises that I could be one brain cell above a stone and still come to the same conclusion. I think you’ll find that for the vast majority of religious people it’s a matter of faith not fact. That it is a moral guide and source of comfort and community. If that works for them and they don’t try and tell me or anyone else that theirs is the only true way to live then that’s all good.

mudshark
    Free Member

Curiously (perhaps?) there are people who became Christians because of science.

Just found this playlist – might be interesting…

Ex-Atheists Convert to Christianity

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcuzrJ8ODJOjzI_h-Kncj6Yga1pLdnzdm

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

hilldodger – Member
    Well I am a scientist, a “real working one”, not a “keyboard warrior ex-science grad who couldn’t cut it so went into IT/media/management one” and I find the anti-religion bias here strange & unpleasant when the mere whiff of any other cultural/racial/gender bashing brings out the pitchforks and banhammers.

HD, certain things are sacred, just not the ones you might expect!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Well they generally don’t like extra layers of rubber so I guess they like tubeless.

richmtb

Well they generally don’t like extra layers of rubber so I guess they like tubeless.

😀 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

I find the anti-religion bias here strange & unpleasant when the mere whiff of any other cultural/racial/gender bashing brings out the pitchforks and banhammers.

Can i see your data please? 😉

As others noted anything [ conspiracists for example] that is irrational and without evidence gets challenged on here as it is a largely rational place.
    Religion falls into this pool as does racism and the other isms you mention.
    This upsets the faithful but no one made them have faith in something that has no proof and we would, and do, ridicule any other version of this
    Start a thread claiming something you cannot prove that has no evidence to support it [ except faith] and see how you get treated. Its not about religion its about this being an unwise position/strategy for the finding of truth.

molgrips
    Free Member

Start a thread claiming something you cannot prove that has no evidence to support it

Show me one religion thread that was started that way…

Conspiracy theory conversations are different – they start by someone saying ‘X is responsible for Y?’ That claim can legitimately be challenged. That’s not how the religion threads on here go. They start by someone saying ‘look at all these stupid religious people aren’t they stupid’ and get rather nasty. That’s what I object to.

Its not about religion its about this being an unwise position/strategy for the finding of truth.

It never occurs to you though that religion might not be about finding the truth about the physical universe. That’s another thing that annoys me – you slag off something you really do not understand at all.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Show me one religion thread that was started that way…

Your right they all start with conclusive proof of the truth of god but we just like to bicker

It never occurs to you though that religion might not be about finding the truth about the physical universe.

LOL the physicists now want to discuss the non physical world this should be fun WHAT NON PHYSICAL WORLD IS THIS…how do I study …can you prove it to me AHHH EUREKA that would be the claim they cannot prove then 🙄

No offence molly but you dont believe what you write and you do not believe in god so I fail ti understand why you bother doign this.
    The fact you bother to express a view you do not support is far more annoying than what you accuse me* of ..though of course I only have faith to prove that point 😆

* I have studied theology at Uni if it helps

IanMunro
    Free Member

It never occurs to you though that religion might not be about finding the truth about the physical universe. That’s another thing that annoys me – you slag off something you really do not understand at all.

Are you suggesting that religious people understand religion?

molgrips
    Free Member

you dont believe what you write

Yes I do, of course I do.

You just don’t understand what I write!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Science vs Religion..’ is closed to new replies.