• This topic has 56 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by SOAP.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Schwalbe Tyres = Kack
  • SOAP
    Free Member

I've got a Maxxis DH tube in the shed Weighs about a kilo 😉 so will try that at 38psi!
    General concensus is lose weight ( working on that)
    Change riding style and ride like a Mincer ( never)
    Ride buttery smooth trails( tarmac?)
    Ermmm.

toys19
    Free Member

I bought schwalbe space for cheap in morzine, have since bought a few more they are ace tyres. Dont get pinch flats.

Stripe
    Free Member

There are min & max pressures stamped on the sidewall – usually for a reason, if youre a bit on the large side you generally just need more air!!! Simples!! 😮

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I've got a set of Racing Ralphs, 40psi, not had a pinch flat (or even a puncture yet touch wood!)best get the repair kit out now ive said that!

I'm not the most graceful of riders but only weigh 50kg so that might be helping me 😛

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

lay off the pies

molgrips
    Free Member

I've got a Maxxis DH tube in the shed Weighs about a kilo so will try that at 38psi!

Don't – just put more air in your existing setup. Why do you insist on 38psi?

Change riding style and ride like a Mincer ( never)

Don't be daft. You can ride just as quickly but better, and not get pinch flats. Pinch flats are not a function of speed, they are a function of clumsiness 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

Change riding style and ride like a Mincer

i think the advice was to ride fast and light – like a pro rather than a mincer. 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'd love to know the exact technique for 'riding light'

Fill Camelbak with helium?
    Carry the bike round anything rock/rooty?
    Spend more time in the air?

Awwwww come ON!

Shred
    Free Member

I would also say riding style has a big part of it. A friend of mine gets pinch flats all the time. We can be out riding the same trails, and he will pinch flat when no one else will. All the time. Its not like he is the fastest or the heaviest or most aggressive at all. Gets annoying when it happens 3 times in a ride.

Twin
    Free Member

Never had a pinch flat in 4 years of riding, regardless of tyres. I'm a pretty heavy rider at 17st and ride with very little finesse, more a crash through things sort of rider. I've always run Nokian DH tubes for XC(at my size the extra weight just doesn't matter!!).

40psi helps with the extra weight, without losing too much traction. Works for me!

molgrips
    Free Member

I'd love to know the exact technique for 'riding light'

Looking ahead for potential problems (off camber roots, sharp edged rocks etc) and unweighting the bike (or a wheel) over them.

RepacK
    Free Member

Riding light isnt a myth, its about moving your body around the bike, weighting & unweighting, little turns of the pedals to get the bike in the right place at the right time, picking the smoothest line – call it finesse if you like (Ive also heard it called body english/language) rather than just crashing through stuff..

nickc

Pinch punctures on the rear?

Stop dragging your brakes over stuff, rolling tyres don't pinch, locked up tyres do…

SOAP
    Free Member

dragging brakes= skidding? I would probably say I use my front brake as much if not more than my back brake which would make the back end lighter.
    Of course(body English)is important but the fact that they are £40ish Each and pinch so easy is annoying

DH tube now fitted and we will see what happens this weekend!

MarkyP
    Free Member

been running 2.1 ralphs at brownbacks series, No issues 8)

tron
    Free Member

I've lost all faith in Schwalbe since I had one bead stretch and another tyre go out of shape. I have to say that Kenda are in my good books. I had some terrible ones on a cheap Giant back in the day, but the Nevegal is fantastic.

SOAP
    Free Member

Sold my schwalbes TF 😉 and now gonna try Nevegal/ Blue Groove combo!

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe Tyres = Kack’ is closed to new replies.