Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Schwalbe tyres a rip off!
  • gravitydroppersrock
    Free Member

£60 for 1 tyre!! Car tyres are waaay cheaper than that!!

freakcrab
    Free Member

Your car’s tyres maybe. Mine are 95 quid a corner and I see the lovely Racing Ralphs for 40 quid.

the_lecht_rocks

my car tyres are £245 each 🙁

onandon
    Free Member

you can get a pair of 2008/2009 evo ralphs for £50 from Merlin

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Tyres for my Ducati, roughly £240 a pair.

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Ribble cycles have got a good deal on nobby nics and r/ralphs.

freakcrab
    Free Member

That Merlin price is very good. I’d buy another pair for the Anthem but I think I’d like to try tubeless next time.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Ive been running schwalbe tubes for the past 2 years and if the tyres are even half the quality then id say they would be well worth the money.

mudpup
    Free Member

How can u tell the quality of a tube????????????
    It either holds air or it doesn’t. PS lightweight doesn’t mean better quality either.
    You either get mugged by Michelin, Schwalbe etc or buy a sensibly priced alternative.

CaptJon
    Free Member

The wonders of the EU mean you get them from Germany much cheaper:

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?mid=6;content=7;navigation=1;pid=104;menuid1=2;menuid2=103;pgc=0

stratobiker
    Free Member

By riding it?
    I used to use Latex tubes exclusively. No punctures for ages, then out one day punctured had to put a butyl tube in. As I rode off post-fix I noticed that the ride was harsher. Only lasted a few minutes, then couldn’t tell.

SB

peakmonster
    Free Member

Funny how folks will spend thousands on the latest frames and forks, but baulk at paying any money at all for the bit that comes into contact with the ground!!!(I rest my case)

njee20
    Free Member

That Merlin price is very good. I’d buy another pair for the Anthem but I think I’d like to try tubeless next time.

The standard Evolution Schwalbes work really well as tubeless anyway.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 bike24

markd
    Free Member

As I rode off post-fix I noticed that the ride was harsher

please tell me you are kidding?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

#
    #
    stratobiker – Member

By riding it?
    I used to use Latex tubes exclusively. No punctures for ages, then out one day punctured had to put a butyl tube in. As I rode off post-fix I noticed that the ride was harsher. Only lasted a few minutes, then couldn’t tell.

what bollox

heihei

Also actionsports.de better value than bike24 for multiple orders.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

They are £120 a pair of the ust smart sams RRP

druidh
    Free Member

markd – Member

> As I rode off post-fix I noticed that the ride was harsher

please tell me you are kidding?

That one deserves to go into the STW pantheon of marketing pish-talk along with “steel frames are whippy”.

mudpup
    Free Member

It was probably harsher because it had some air in it 😉

martyntr
    Free Member

I’ve got a Racing Ralph in 2.4 which has bout 100 miles on it, for £17.50 posted if anyones interested

jonb
    Free Member

Maybe not harsher because of the tube but there may have been a difference.

I can notice changes in PSI, the type of tubes if I go from heavy to light (racing to slime), running tubeless or tubes, or the size of tyres if the change is big enough.

coogan
    Free Member

Well, that’s it, the biggest bag of wankwastings I’ve read on here. Going to have to go some to beat that.

saladdodger
    Free Member

racing_ralph – Member

#
    #
    stratobiker – Member

By riding it?

what bollox

Perhaps poop for brains you need to see what stratobiker has achieved with riding bikes

the quote is

Only lasted a few minutes, then couldn’t tell.

read

Palmarés

Now who is a tosser

markd
    Free Member

ok so for some reason someone who races lots and has some admittedly good results has the most mystical of skills that also allows him to detect the different types of rubber in his inner tubes….

hmmm – are you actually asking us to believe that?

honestly the biggest pile of crap i have ever heard and i do really hope he was trolling.

taka
    Free Member

whats wrong with £15pair of mitchellin country all terrains???

jo_h
    Free Member

If you want schwalbe at the moment maybe try ribble cycles…(tonight while theres still 15% off over £50)

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i’m with mark.

some decent results (all in age cat at that) doesn’t mean he’s really going to notice the difference.

tails
    Free Member

Whilst I can’t help think that what strato is saying sounds bollox, he certainly proved your college teacher wrong. Nice website 🙂 What is the difference between latex and butyl tubes?

tails
    Free Member

a quick google shows that strato is not the only one who thinks latex are smoother than buytl

markd
    Free Member

ah of course. google is THE de facto reference source.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Yes they are are rip off if you buy in the UK. Just get them from Germany.

zangolin
    Free Member

Not tried latex tubes off road – but have ridden them on the road for the last 10 years. In conjunction with a good quality tyre there is a definate difference between the way a latex tube rides compared to a butyl tube. Has a more compliant ride – tyre feels softer even though it is inflated to the correct pressure, the tyre sound changes as well. The only way to understand it is to try and I can guarantee you would be able feel the difference. As to whether there is any advantage that might be open to discussion.

JxL
    Free Member

You guys really need to learn to shop around… £40 per tyre? You can get a pair for £50 on ebay (new).

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

I ride panaracer’s but bought schawlbe marathon supremes for touring/cross bike – amazing quality, cost £25 a tyre (£38 rrp) but worth it.

Only issue is that although they were puncture resistant I wrecked 3 tubes trying to fit the b*ggers!!!

Fancy some racing ralphs next if I can bear to move off panaracer rampages.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

there probaby is a difference between types of tubes, there certainly is between weights, theres a massive difference between my 150g commuting innner tubes and the 50g weekend ones (same tire, wheel, pressure).

Tubeless gives more grip as the tire doesnt suffer form fiction between itself and the tube. So whats not to say that chnging the tube material to something diffeent cant have a similar effect. Athough plenty of talc probably has a similar effect.

bigrich

the best tubes are decathalon ones, 2 for 2 quid.

pushbikerider
    Free Member

This place seems to have decent prices on Schwalbe (and they are based in the UK):

Next Day Tyres

RoterStern
    Free Member

Not tried latex tubes off road – but have ridden them on the road for the last 10 years. In conjunction with a good quality tyre there is a definate difference between the way a latex tube rides compared to a butyl tube. Has a more compliant ride – tyre feels softer even though it is inflated to the correct pressure, the tyre sound changes as well. The only way to understand it is to try and I can guarantee you would be able feel the difference. As to whether there is any advantage that might be open to discussion.

Have to say I agree. When I have to change from using a latex tube to a normal one on my roadie (which is not often..usually when I manage to rip the valve core when pumping the things up!) the difference is tangible.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Schwalbe tyres a rip off!’ is closed to new replies.