Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Scandal Weight anyone?
  • Adders69
    Free Member

Back on the hunt for a new bike for number one son – I think I'm homing in on a build around the On-One Scandal frame … but can anybody tell me how heavy the 14" frame is? I'd like to keep the overall build low, and in keeping with a 10 year old nipper!

TooTall
    Free Member

It is one of the lighter frames, but is it short enough for him to reach the bars?

Oh – youngsters NEED heavy bikes, otherwise they will whup your ass quicker!

Northwind

My Scandal weighed as much as a packet of crisps, it was a small and came in at about 3.2lbs. 3.3 maybe, can't remember for sure, but less than Brant told me it'd probably be. Very nice xc frame, no clue how it'll be for a sprog though, when I was 10 I either had a BMX or a raleigh marauder and I thought I was lucky…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    surfer
    Free Member

Adders I am building a bike for my daughter (13) I looked at the On-one but decided on one of these:
    Dirty Jo, Semi Creme
    My priority was lightness. My son has also just started riding and I find the biggest issue has been small climbs on a heavy bike, hence the home build.

I fancy an On-one for me though!

jockhaggis
    Free Member

My 16" weighs 1550g on the electronic kitchen scales. That's about 3.4lbs in old money.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Not even close to yours, but my 18" 29er was smack on 3.5 lbs on my kitchen digi's.

tinsy
    Free Member

Scandal 18" 26'r with std dropouts weighed 3.5lb's the exact same weight as a Tinbred but lots less dosh…

Dirty Jo's arent a bad bet as mentioned but there is a triple butted version thats a bit lighter and not much more cash… F Creme. I had one of those too and it was a bit more than 3.5lb's but cant remember exactly.

If your on a tight budget or dont want to spend loads on a frame he will grow out of, I bought a Carrera Vulcan frame off the bay to build up for my wife brand new for about £35 and though a bit porky at 4lb for a 14" had some lovely frame detailing and a nice paint finish for not a lot of dosh.

Tinbred and Carrera sadly now with the scum who stole em. 🙁

Adders69
    Free Member

Thanks all – like the look of the Dirty Jo frames … except for the V-Brake lugs 🙁

Thanks for the info on the Scandal – 1½Kg is just fine – some light wheels and ancilliary parts should keep the weight down and be transferable to a bigger frame as appropriate (or be destined for younger brother!).

tinsy
    Free Member

Its a good choice I like my Scandal, hold onto value too when its time to swap it out…. V brake bosses dont look too nice do they.

HTTP404
    Free Member

you won't get a better deal on a frame than what's currently on offer at allterraincycles.

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/101739.html

FOG

Don't let this develop into a habit, I still seem to be paying towards my son's bikes as well as fettling them and he is 28!

tinsy
    Free Member

My younguns maintenance training starts NOW…!!!! (perhaps he could give me spelling lessons in return)

njee20
    Free Member

Just ordered an unbranded carbon frame off eBay, they seem to have quite a following on weight weenies and such, £180 and 1250g.

tinsy
    Free Member

Got a link please njee20 only seeing £395 ones…

Adders69
    Free Member

Just ordered an unbranded carbon frame off eBay, they seem to have quite a following on weight weenies and such, £180 and 1250g.

Oooh – very interested in a bit of Carbon!

As tinsy says, post a link … please!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

just built up a semi-creme for my GF. full deore group (inc wheels), some rev 426 (wound down, used to be mine), branded finishing kit (easton, FSA mainly), and some schwalbe tyres – pretty lgiht build to e honest (i had similar weight concerns). its not the lightest thing in the world (forks could be lighter really, and if we spent $$$ on finishing kit) but its a great starter bike, and cost less than £350…

need to get a photo of it…!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Scandal Weight anyone?’ is closed to new replies.