Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • SC Heckler or Orange 5
  • JA
    Free Member

Considering my first move into full sus. Looking at single pivot simplicity. How does the 5 compare with the Santa Cruz Heckler? Thoughts and opinions gratefully received, thanks.

Simon

The Five and Heckler were on my list of new single pivot frames earlier this year.
    I couldn't justify spending the money, in the end I test rode a Cannondale Prophet and bought that instead. The whole bike was less than an Orange or Santa Cruz frame.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i have the orange five !!! it was a height thingy with me for choice, but i love my bike (never rode a full sus b4 but im mighty pleased with my choice.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

no contest….the ride quality of a Heckler outshines the 5 IMO.

unsponsored
    Free Member

no contest….the ride quality of a Heckler outshines the 5 IMO.

I totally agree.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I've got a Heckler, and personally think its a fantastic bike.. Far more bike than I can justify, but **** it..

Awesome bit of kit.. :mrgreen:

Telemaster18
    Free Member

FIT!

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Teetosugars, what Stem do you have on yours? I have one, exactly the same as yours (Orange in Colour) but after a shorted stem than the race face one I have now. In answer to the original post, i too deliberated with both bikes, but in the end went for the SC.

Bregante

I rode a 5, Commencal Meta 5.5 then a SC Heckler back to back on a demo day at Llandega last year. The Heckler was easily the best of the three. Quicker, smoother, more planted. But you do end up paying for that extra quality unfortunately. Worth it tho imo 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Santacruzi I run a 70mm Thomson stem.. Seems perfect. Short but not too short.. Tried a 50mm but climbing became (even more)of a nightmare.. Downhill was and infact still is, spot on..

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Apologies in advance Teeto but what tyres are you running on your Heckler? They look quite meaty.

dickie
    Free Member

Heckler here too. It is superb!!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Tyres are 2.35 kenda nevegal bluegroove dtc front.
    2.1 Kenda nevegal dtc rear.

slowrider
    Free Member

i tried both, went for the 5. i liked the heckler and have had good experience with santa cruz customer service but i wanted to run a talas 36 and i like the way the 5 rode with a bigger fork over the heckler due to it having a slacker head angle, shorter head tube, longer wheelbase, steeper seat angle, longer top tube (so i could run a shorter stem), shorter chainstays… i went for the maxle too, though the heckler being qr only didnt put me off it. its purely down to personal choice i think, theres not much in it really IMO as all the above are just numbers at the end of the day, its about what feels right aint it?

hope this helps.

and a pic, sorry dont really take many so this is what i have.

Wookster

hi mate, I have a five its an amazing amazing bike and I love it. my mate has a C heckler, I just cant get on with it at all really dont like it, and (can you see where this is going!!)he really doesnt get on with my 5 so in short mate test ride!!!!!!! either way we both really rate our choice of bike so dont think you'll go far wrong!!

carlos
    Free Member

I've got ( had actually, as some scrote has nicked it) a Heckler and for me it's the perfect bike. I test rode all bikes avalible to me at a demo day in CYB and personaly for me this one suited me better than the others. If your alright on the climbs the you'll be rewarded on the downs for sure, it's smooth, controled, forgiving if you do get out of shape and an excellent all rounder. When wheelies or the insurance get round to sorting it I'll get another one, no doubt about it.

As already suggested try and get a demo of them both or any others you fancy, it is really the only way you will know what suit you.

Carl

rich-6
    Free Member

Heckler here and bloody love it, Its an 06 but i'm keeping it forever, The only thing i will change it for is a newer version and thats it.

5 looks like a mincers bike next to it anyway so why would you want one 😉

j_me
    Free Member

Try before you buy…..its gonna be down to personal choice. Don't just take some random's word for it.(FIVE btw!)

drewster007
    Free Member

i had the same problem but went for some thing abit off the wall! i got a Morewood Mbuzi & think it is Fooking amazing ( Ask Teetosugars) he has seen it i think someone has pulled my photos from flicker and put them on STW of me as i am crap on the old computer!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘SC Heckler or Orange 5’ is closed to new replies.