Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • say what you like about audaxing but ….
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Its a great way to get a long ride in with likeminded people.

spent the weekend up in portmahomack riding some of the best roads ive ever ridden , quiet , scenic and some nice climbs

saturday
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-kingdom/portmahomack/488778955355
    sunday
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-kingdom/portmahomack/311383747375

Tipped it down all day saturday but i didnt mind – baggy waterproof shorts on to much tutting . but i was dry + comfortable at the finish and many of the guys that had done the 100k event were asking where i got them.

the durness route would be an excellent 3/4 day tour – lovely scenary and beaches. rides along cliffs along the north coast !

sundays ride was much more sedate and sunny – again lovely scenary riding along the black isle and cromarty firth.

and the normal comment i get for audaxing on here is "why would you want to go out slowly bimbling with old folk" – my average speed for saturday was 28kph for 300k – maybe scottish audaxers are just hardcore – first time ive been in a 10mile TT sprint to the finish with a 60 year old riding along side me giving it just as many beans !

Edric64
    Free Member

Audax is a great workout and cheap they put overpriced sportive rides to shame also some of the old buggers may not be hugely fast but can do 300 miles with barely a break

Jamie
    Free Member

say what you like about audaxing….

I would if i knew what it was.

*heads off to google*

oldgit
    Free Member

Audax's and reliability trials over Sportives any day (well uk anyway)

sockpuppet

something like this is still on my list of things to do

Edric64
    Free Member

There is a 100 mile event called the Exmouth Exodus leaving Bristol at the end of June heading for the south coast. Its an overnight ride starting at 10pm ish http://www.exmouthexodus.co.uk/

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye night rides rock , entered in the corstorphine 600k in 2 weeks.

suspect that will involve a fair bit of night riding !

oldgit
    Free Member

I'm pretty interested in doing an Audax. I remember the Audax guys in my club back in the early 70s actually wore plus fours and smoked pipes as they rode along. The 24 hour guys were handed fish and chips on the go 😆
    Have we really moved on?

trail_rat
    Free Member

yes.

carbon roadies largely , plenty of old steelies – lots of show bikes – posh steel frames with retro bits polished to high heaven. but mostly carbon or ti frames

im 24 and i wasnt the youngest on saturday – all be it the young lad hadnt done more than 100miles before. and at that hed only done it the week before !

uplink
    Free Member

I bet you know the price of a 1/4 of Werther's Originals & 2oz of best shag now though?

Edric64
    Free Member

how much is a 14 year old shag and 2oz of sweeties?

sockpuppet

this could be going in the wrong direction…

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

300km at 28kph – is that willy waving i see before me?

Edric64
    Free Member

No as I have done 224 miles in 12 hours which is not that good in a time trial and the example quoted is about 17.5mph.It depends on the terrain of course

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Aye, and I've done 300km with 5000m ascent at 24kph, with absolutely no towing, with a dodgy back in the pissing rain. 😀

uplink
    Free Member

That's nothing – don't know your born ….

I've done 24km @ 300kph – on a unicycle

dirtyrider
    Free Member

whats audaxing

Edric64
    Free Member
    sockpuppet

uplink: have a look at this then!

i'm planning on taking about 9 days in september: they did LEJOG in less than a week on unicycles!

b1galus
    Free Member

wonders if the 60 year old was jimmy frae the burgh

Edric64
    Free Member

Thats a bloody quick time.Try and take in Lizard Point and Dunnet Head to get the furthest South and North points in as well

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If I were only to ride with likeminded people I'd be always on my own 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

I've done 300km with 5000m ascent at 24kph, with absolutely no towing

you mean you drafted the whole way and did no work in the pack ?

simon i guess its a sign of broadmindedness…

it wasnt a guy called jimmy

radoggair
    Free Member

trail_rat. Personally , well done.

Its not easy riding that distance or anything over 100 miles i would say.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Audax is ace I once did the 600k Brian Chapman ( chepstow to Anglesea )and back did the first 300k across wales is 16 hrs including stops is was a fantastic ride 😀
    The return leg was anothere story 😕

druidh
    Free Member

I need to find a shortish (200km?) Audax to try out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

nice short 300 on on saturday – im sure youd keep up with smeeeeeee colin

or there is a 100 also on from the same place … fast group going if you feel adventurous … abc man train are taking on the 100k. think 2 of us doing the full bifter

bit annoyed i wont get my Super randoneour this year … done 150 and 100 on the same weekend in april , done the 200 last weekend(as well as 200 riding there ) then 300 on sat – 200 sunday this week , and this week coming doing another 300 and a 600 the following weekend …. might try and do the potter for tea after the 300 on sat for my 400 and then ill have got my first SR series …. doesnt actually mean anything but personal achievement and should help me achieve a further goal of mine in the not too distant future

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Druidh – the 300k this weekend is the best biking route i have ever done anywhere. Come join me on it, I am not intending to go anywhere fast. Lack of miles this year ensures that.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘say what you like about audaxing but ….’ is closed to new replies.