Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Savoury long ride/race snacks?
  • sofatester
    Free Member

My girlfriend once went completely crazy on a walk after a large helping of dried dates. Properly mental till all the sugar wore off.

😯

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

My girlfriend once went completely crazy on a walk after a large helping of dried dates. Properly mental till all the sugar wore off.

Pics?

nedrapier

Hah! She's a bit loopy most of the time anyway (being a girl 😉 )but this was like she was on drugs! Really hyper, uncontrollable giggles, singing at the top of her voice… Now you come to mention it, she was "a bit more affectionate" too. Shame there were about 10 of us on the walk.

Fig rolls for the perfect mix of sweet and savoury in one food.
    Salted cashews for replacing salt on a sweaty day.
    Malt loaf for ballast if it's a windy day on the mountains and you're worried about getting blown away.

Drac

bananas -i used to eat for energy..but they are also full of sugar !
    i try flapjacks or similar…

Yes good idea as flapjacks contain no sugars or fat.

finbar
    Free Member

You can use fat as an energy source, but your body has loads of that anyway – even if you are skinny – and generally it doesn't like metabolising it (bonking is when you run out of readily-available glycogen and have to run off bodyfat alone). So whilst pork pies, cheese etc. make a nice change from sugary stuff, they aren't going to be much use in sustaining your energy output.

D0NK

sorry scholarsgate but those savoury flapjacks sound minging.
    The sugary stuff keeps you going, I thought the savoury stuff is just occasional "proper" food on a long ride/event to stop your stomach throwing a major wobbler. ie go for what you like rather than whats good for you. I'd vote for pies (gourmet stuff from tebay services) scotch eggs, pasties. sarnies are a bit too easily damaged in your 'bak, nuts too fiddly.

Note the "occasional" bit and proper energy food inbetween.

Jamesy
    Free Member

cold kebab ? but keeping it healthy with a wholemeal pitta and extra salad
    😉

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Another vote for malt loaf…i ate a whole one in a matter of minutes on a very long road ride and it got me round the rest of the way 🙂

Bananas or jam sarnies are good too.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Savoury long ride/race snacks?’ is closed to new replies.