Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Savoury long ride/race snacks?
  • votchy
    Free Member

On long rides/races I get sick of sweet, sugary foods. What savoury things do you eat while riding that don't sit heavy in your stomach but also provide good/reasonable carbs for fuelling?

Jamie
    Free Member

Banananas or Malt Loaf.

jonb
    Free Member

I asked this a while ago and got lots of sarcastic responses. One was fairly useful though, sandwiches. provided you pick something tha isn't going to ooze out, bread rolls are surprising easy to eat on a road ride.

Jamie
    Free Member

jonb:
    I asked this a while ago and got lots of sarcastic responses

It's how you know you're on STW 8)

uplink
    Free Member

Individual cheeses
    Pepperami

Clif do a salty energy bar

Stop for a pork pie

whytetrash

Marmite flavour cereal bars?…plain wrong as a concept but fulfil both your requirements :lol:…I actually find my brain is telling my tastebuds they are sending it the wrong messages when I eat them!

miketually
    Free Member

Do teacakes count as a half way house?

Drac

Pies.

Pistachios.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

what about savoury flapjacks?

1 egg
    25g butter
    75g grated cheese plus extra for topping.
    70g porridge oats
    pinch of salt

Melt butter. Mix rest of stuff in. Press into 8" tin. Grate cheese on top. 30 to 40 mins @ 180C.

alexpalacefan

The pork pie was invented for fox hunters. The jelly stops the filling rattling about inside the pastry, so it doesn't fall apart when riding and jumping a horse.

This also makes it ideal for mountain bikers!

APF

2tyred

I go for a toasted bagel with peanut butter, cut into four bits – either with jam and banana in as well (sweeter) or with cucumber (savoury). Just the right size for eating while riding and substantial enough you can space them out.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Just make up some 'proper food' ( i.e subs, rolls, sandwiches, pasta) and take that. Pork pies are tasty but too fat laden to be taken in any qty

13thfloormonk

Think peanuts are the most obvious answer, was told they had one of the highest calorific values per gram of any food? (distant memories of burning them in school as some science experiment)

I was living off thick oatcakes and cheese on my last camping trip, but you can't slice cheese on the go (safely… 😀 )

CheesybeanZ

peanut butter and jam in a cheese top roll mmmm

thomthumb
    Free Member

tortilla wraps with a filling of choice.

I like refried beans (not messy, easy to handle etc)- preferably home made but from a can will do.

about 200kcals per wrap.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

It has to be pork pie, sausage roll or a good pasty doesn't it? Obviously not all at the same time. I know that there's a fair amount of fat content in that lot but it is offset with the banana. A little. 😀

Oh, and mini chedders. Mmmmmm, snack of the gods!

whytetrash

Twiglets…not that I'm addicted to marmite or anything!…don't pork pies give you indigestion…thinking the fat content of those would mean there's no way you'd use em on an enduro…nuts are all protein and too few carbs to be of use as muscle fuel?

Jamesy
    Free Member

cheese sandwiches for me or wraps and salted nuts. votchy I seem to remember you had a test ride on my Orange 5 arranged by race co ? u still got your 5 ?

BigJohn

Bacon, peanut butter and apricot jam sandwiches.

Or bacon and egg sandwiches

Or Tuna mayo sandwiches,with crisps.

sofatester
    Free Member

PORK PIES!

Silly amounts of Kcals per gram.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

As it happens i have just finished a 'eat natural' fruit/nut/cereal bar that was rather satisfying. Bought 2 types (prefer the Yogurt coated blueberry/pistachio) job lot from Makro and they are rather delicious and workout very cheap per bar and hassel free to boot.

elaineanne
    Free Member

pork pies ? who ate all the pies……. 👿 heartburn indigestion..
    bananas -i used to eat for energy..but they are also full of sugar !
    i try flapjacks or similar…

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

If you are after something you can eat on the move I would avoid peanuts as there are risks associated with inhaling peanut dust / crumbs.

In the past I have wrapped up small cubes of cheese in cling film and stuck them in a jersey pocket. They are easy to get to, can be popped in the mouth, are easy to chew, taste nice and have lots of fat, therefore lots of calories. They make a nice change to energy bars etc.

If you are stopping to eat then I would second any of the suggestions along the lines of a sarnie / pie.

scruff
    Free Member

When we go ride Long Mynd we always go into the deli in Church Stretton for a couple of Cornish Pasties, they put them in silver insualted bags, still warm after a couple of climb / decents.

Savoury Winter Bliss.

sofatester
    Free Member

who ate all the pies

I did!

Nom Nom Nom 😀

mt
    Free Member

Love pork pies but for ride fuel the fat makes them useless. Good bread with a none fatty filling would do the trick. Anybody that brings out a savory energy bar or gel will have my custom.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

I wouldn't discount fat as an energy source on long rides. If the ride is long enough at a reasonable intensity then the body should be able to metabolise fats as an energy source. At least that is what I have been led to believe.

nedrapier

Can't believe no-one's metioned asparagus. The Peruvian stuff's the best, enough of that and you can start leaving your arm warmers at home.

Cashew nuts do the job well for me though.

Edit. However, if this sort of thing bothers you:

International Trade
    Many nut producing countries are in the Majority World and the sector is one in whichthe precarious nature of international trade can have a significant effect on communities which depend heavily on one product for their income. According to a BBC article, in 2001 a small rise in the world production of shelled nuts, from 14,000 to 16,000 tons, resulted in the price of brazil nuts crashing, with devastating effects on the communities in Bolivia which harvested the product.(4)

In such areas, a change in the global market price of a single product can have a huge impact on the food security of local people.

According to FAO statistics, the top ten cashew nut producer countries in 2005 included Benin, Guinea-Bissau, Cote d'Ivoire and Mozambique,(5) all of which were also ranked in the 15 countries with the lowest Human Development Index in the same year.(6)

Such statistics give some weight to Triodos Bank's assertion that the nut industry "exemplifies some of the inherent inequities in global trade".(7)

clicky for more

ourmaninthenorth

Ham baguette. When I saw a chap leave the feed station just before me to ride up Ventoux with a ham baguette in his jersey pocket, I knew that was the answer.

Otherwise, Tuc biscuits are nice – the saltiness helps.

nedrapier

Nuts seem to work for me, but I've wondered about the fat/energy, too. I've found that simple sugars leave me crashed about 20 minutes afterwards, particularly if I have a lot, like a whole mars bar or something.

I don't really bother with energy food for anything other than all day rides, so what midlifecrisis says makes sense.

yunki
    Free Member

chicken and bacon club sandwich… buy it from a supermarket and you get a handy container too… already cut into handy portions for rationing over the ride.. nom nom nom nom nom

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rolls with potato salad and a little cheese FTW!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Can't believe no-one's metioned asparagus. The Peruvian stuff's the best, enough of that and you can start leaving your arm warmers at home.<

Asparagus? Arm warmers? Are you for real? 😉

glenp
    Free Member

Just make sure that your long ride loops through Peaslake once an hour and have a cheese straw.

Naranjada
    Free Member

i use redskin peanuts and dried apricots and/or figs, you can always add some rolled oats too. cheap if you buy in bulk, nutritious, good quality fat, fruit sugar, carbs and it doesn't matter if they get squashed.

organic355
    Free Member

A mate of mine in the US used to swear by these for a long road ride; he said they were the right balance or carbs/salts, not sure you can get them in the UK though? maybe Mini cheddars would be a good substitute?

crazy-legs

Dates.
    OK so it's kind of sweet but a pack of dried stoned dates is compact and easy to carry, doesn't fall apart if it gets wet and is very high in energy.

Otherwise, jam or peanut butter sandwiches.

nedrapier

My girlfriend once went completely crazy on a walk after a large helping of dried dates. Properly mental till all the sugar wore off.

nedrapier

careful now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Savoury long ride/race snacks?’ is closed to new replies.