Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Save 6 Music
  • 1968steve
    Free Member

I have just seen the news and the beeb want to close 6 Music. Please join save the 6 Music.

zeicke
    Free Member

why

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Because its good?

zeicke
    Free Member

can't be that good ,if it was they would have binned radio 1/2/3/4/5 etc

Dare I suggest if they want to save money, they just play the music. No chat, news or tedious trailers, just music. They could run the whole thing from a laptop.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Probably because they have under invested in advertising and no one except people with a love music in all its forms listens to it.

freddyg
    Free Member

Surely binning that fat-knacker, Moyles, and his multi-million pound salary would be enought to fund 6Music?

CaptJon
    Free Member

The figures in the papers reckon Moyles is on c.£600,000

sweepy
    Free Member

well i hope it stays, theres some good shows on there. Bob dylans show was great.
    Is there a petition?

freddyg
    Free Member

CaptJon – why let facts ruin a good lynching? 😉

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Moyles? Lynching? Better get out the heavy duty ropes 😈

CountZero

Trouble is that they show listening figures as around 650000. That does not take into account all the listeners all over the world who listen online, or people like me who listen via their phone, so that figure could easily be trebled or quadrupled. 6Music is far and away the best music channel on any network. The range of music, and enthusiasm of the presenters knocks spots off anything else. I've lost count of the number of new bands and artists I've discovered over the years since 6Music started, and many eventually become very well known, like Mumford and Son, Arcade Fire, Laura Marling…
    Anyone who wants to shut it down should be removed from his job immediatly, 'cos he obviously has no idea what the words 'Public Service Broadcasting' actually mean.

Raindog
    Free Member

I'm genuinely gutted about 6 music's apparent demise. Radio 1's target audience is 14 – 25 year olds, Radio 2 have been told to concentrate on the over 50's – WTF are music fans who don't fit either of these profiles supposed to do for radio ? I thought the whole point of the BBC is that they are a Public Service broadcaster ? Surely there are plenty of "Hits" type stations around to cater for the yoof audience ? Shut down R1 instead, and keep "minority" stations like 6 music (and Asian network ? can't comment, as I don't listen to it).

pjbarton
    Free Member

anyone who doesn't think 6music should be saved is, in my opinion, a ****.

adam & joe, jarvis cocker, lauren lavern, marc riley, steve lamacq – pretty much the only thing i pay my license fee for.

pjbarton
    Free Member

t w a t

CaptJon
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    Trouble is that they show listening figures as around 650000. That does not take into account all the listeners all over the world who listen online, or people like me who listen via their phone, so that figure could easily be trebled or quadrupled.

Viewing/listening figures are compiled by people filling out a calendar of what they have watched/listed to over a certain period of time. In theory this will capture people who listen on any device within the UK by using representative sampling. People who listen abroad won't be captured, and one argue nor should they.

nickc

I want to love 6music I really do, Lauren Laverne Steve Lemaq, they deserve to have slots on mainstream, but this morning effing George lamb plays one track (maccabees i think) then proceeds to "interview" some old dear about her Museum in Bath in an "ironic" way for the next twenty minutes…For this alone, I'm happy for it to go…

Harry_the_Spider

Saturday evening without the Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show would be terrible.

meehaja
    Free Member

why not get rid of bbc 7? it's basically loads of uni kids trying to break into comedy without bothering to concider wether they're funny or not. 6music is the last bastion of BBC ideology! It's not for the masses, its not populist and it doesn't care what you think of it, but if you listen you will learn and in turn, learn to love it. Its radio 4, but with music

roger_mellie

The folks behind the Rage Against The Machine vs X-factor Facebook petition have a similar 'save 6Music' page, if you're into either.

Tis here

Keva
    Free Member

6music is the only radio station I listen to. Bit too much waffle on there sometimes and that shabba shite gets on my titties but the music is great.

Kev

miketually
    Free Member

1. Save £7million by closing 6 Music
    2. Spend £8million re-branding Radio7 as Radio6 to avoid an embarrassing gap in the listings

kerv
    Free Member

Put my vote on. Shame it's not possible to vote for 6Music but not George Lamb!

Mark84
    Free Member

Just signed. Wish they can't put radio 6 on FM. Would be great to be able to listen to it in the car. Bet they would get some great ratings.

Geronimo
    Free Member

I want to love 6music I really do, Lauren Laverne Steve Lemaq, they deserve to have slots on mainstream, but this morning effing George lamb

I switched on my bed-side DAB this morning in the hope that George Lamb would be on vacation and somebody else sitting-in. Alas, it was George Lamb so I switched it off immediately.

How that imbecile has kept his show for so long, I do not know, although I suspect that he has influential friends.

Getting rid of his week-day show was a good move (the young lads in the office thought he was as cr*p as 30-something I did), but he now spoils weekend mornings.

I agree with the Radio 4 with music comment. They are the best things on the BBC.

If BBC3 can be allowed to continue with such broadcasting highlights as "Hotter than my Daughter", "The Bubble" can be broadcast on BBC2 and 6Music be cancelled then there is no justice.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

superb station

grey_or_black

This shouldn't be about pointing at another target for savings at the BBC. It does a great job, on the whole, and provides for a wide audience.

I don't want to be advertised at. That's a large part of why I listen to and watch a lot of stuff on the Beeb.

I don't want to hear how listeners are larging it (or whatever). I don't listen to Radio 1. It's there for those who do.

I don't appreciate classical music, so I haven't listened to Radio 3. There's an audience for that, though. Maybe not a massive audience, but that never used to matter. Cater for all, without trying to be too niche.

I want to hear new music, and be reminded of great, old, music. To be entertained. That's why I listen to 6 music. Why I have DAB in my car, in my house.

Oh, and the website is great. iPlayer has changed how people watch television and listen to the radio.

Show less football? Oh, people like that. Show less cookery shows? People like that, too (I guess). Less period drama. They win awards…

Reduce or review the funding to the Beeb? No. It's fine as it is. Not everything suits me about the Beeb, but I wouldn't change a thing. Of all the things that are going wrong in the UK and the world, the overspend at the Beeb on some buildings really doesn't change our lives.

ourmaninthenorth

For me, though our houisehold has a DAB radio, I have been rarely at home enough to spend any significant time listening to 6Music.

However, the times I have tuned in, it has been uniformly awful. Sure, some of the music is great, though it always trikes me as being fundamentally restricted to the tastes of tedious middle aged white men (Craig Charles, Lauren Laverne excepted, natch) who prefer to talk about the songs rather than play any more.

And, if I switch it on at the weekend it is all sh*te. so bad, in fact, that it makes 5Live look highbrow.

So, for me, it won't be a great loss. There is a massive – government inspired – shift towards internet content delivery, and radio will go the same way. There is the risk, of course, that non-commercial music will be marginalised, but this is a fight its always had against pop pap.

So, for me, it won't be missed, and I'll still manage to listen to new music without turning into a sweaty geek who needs to get out in the sun a bit more.

Pook

I'd be gutted if it went simply for the music, but some of the presenters are disappointing.

Surprisingly, Jarvis Cocker's show bored the socks off me. Dead pretentious sadly.

2tyred

daveatextremistsdotcouk – Member
    Dare I suggest if they want to save money, they just play the music. No chat, news or tedious trailers, just music. They could run the whole thing from a laptop.

Spot on, although losing Lauren Laverne would be a heavy price to pay. The braying men (and there seems to be several) are irritating in the extreme.

miketually
    Free Member

daveatextremistsdotcouk – Member

A radio station tried that once. Loads of complaints.

Eccles
    Free Member

Don't be ridiculous CaptJon £600,000 would barely cover the Moyles doughnut budget

Geronimo
    Free Member

Sure, some of the music is great, though it always trikes me as being fundamentally restricted to the tastes of tedious middle aged white men (Craig Charles, Lauren Laverne excepted, natch) who prefer to talk about the songs rather than play any more.

Obviously, every channel with appeal to some and not others.

The music is good and not as narrow a selection as the vast majority of other stations. With the exception of the inexplicably mis-cast George Lamb, the station is music-led.

Anecdotally, 6Music seems to be listened to by adults of different ages (probably a large chunk of them between 25 and 50) and all genders. I would expect the majority of the listeners to be white because white people make up the vast majority of the UK population, but there is nothing preventing or discouraging people of any ethnicity from listening.

I would not regard 6Music as elitist or inaccessible, although there is the occasional esoteric or unusual track played. Possibly less so than some of the "German industrial beer-glasses-in-a-washing-machine-techno" John Peel would play on occasion.

Radio 3 is arguably far more 'niche'.

'Tedious' is a subjective term, but that may apply more accurately to other radio stations, many of which are bland or trying-too-hard to be 'cool'. Having said that, it is a matter of taste and I don't wish other radio stations to be cancelled.

itchypedro
    Free Member

George Lamb was the worse choice for a presenter. At work we used to spend most days listening 6 music. Then LAMB came along – 6 music was turned off. I still can't believe they even give him air time on a weekend.

However the other presenters are great especailly the likes of Shaun Keeveny, Jon Richardson and Adam and Joe.

I hope they don't axe it. I don't mind a bit of Planet Rock but the adverts – arggghhh.

Geronimo
    Free Member

At work we used to spend most days listening 6 music. Then LAMB came along – 6 music was turned off

The same thing happened in our office. Loud foghorns, catchphrases and Jamaican patois turned everybody against it. I can only assume that he has a good mate high up in BBC radio.
    It took a long time to win favour again with a lot of people here and it's only recently been accepted back into the office.

Thankfully it is on the up again.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Save 6 Music’ is closed to new replies.