Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 292 total)
  • Sauce: It's time we had rules
  • crispo
    Free Member

Im with Houns, though some times if im feel adventurous ill swap the red or brown sauce for sweet chilli, its amazing! (not fish and chips though)

mintimperial

Bacon sandwiches require HP Sauce. Red is only acceptable if HP is not available. I assume that HP is what you are referring to here as “brown sauce” – I, like all right-thinking people, refuse to recognise the existence of any other type of “brown sauce”.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

You’re only adding Worcester Sauce becuase the food has no flavour – it needs cooking in. Worcester is NOT a table sauce – it lives in the cupboard with my spices – i.e. for COOKING with.

And while we’re at it – ALL sauces except vinegar live in the fridge.

Worcester doesn’t (and isn’t vinegar) so isn’t a sauce. QED!

Cougar

But oven chips? Has to be salt, vinegar, HP sauce, tomato sauce, and proper mayonnaise.

Presumably to hide the fact that they taste like crap. Get yourself a chip pan and a potato peeler, woman.

(note, I am not responsible for any house fires as a result of this advice)

finbar
    Free Member

Bacon sammich needs mustard.

Houns

Crispo and Trailmonkey know their relish

DrRSwank
    Free Member

HP = Brown, yes. I was trying to bring in the people that buy cheap, supermarket versions.

I would only ever buy HP sauce.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Bacon Sandwich with Mustard!

Good god – you’re all sick!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Tabasco on anything.

carbon337
    Free Member

only ever Heinz Tomato Ketchup – nothing else ever. That burger van catering red sauce shit that is just red vinegar would be banned if I were PM

ononeorange

Blimey Dr, you caught yourself out there – “Worcester sauce lives in my cupboard with spices” – then “all sauces except vinegar live in the fridge”!

For someone with OCD tidiness, you’re a bit sauce-confused.*

*Unless your cupboard is a fridge of course.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Oooh – I’d forgotten Tabasco.

It kind of falls into the Worcester syndrome though – it’s an ingredient, not a table sauce.

Having said that I do like pepping up soups with Encona.

unklebuck
    Free Member

Am I the only person who like red and brown sauce on a bacon sauasage and egg sarnie. yum….

DrRSwank
    Free Member

oneone – it is confusing.

But I use Worcester sauce as that’s it’s name. It’s not a table sauce though. I’ll write to Lee & Perrins and ask for it to be renamed Worcester Flavour Compensator For People Who Can’t Cook.

xcgb
    Free Member

I add milk to baked beans, as does my dad!

organic355
    Free Member

Bacon Sandwich – Red sauce only

Fish Finger Sandwich – Brown sauce only

You got these the wrong way round

Harry_the_Spider

Are these Northern or Southern rules?

Northern :-

Bacon sandwich – Brown
    Sausage sandwich – Brown
    Cheese pie – Brown
    Chips – Red

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Unklebuk – NEVER mix sauces.

Bacon, Sausage and Egg requires no sauce. The egg should be properly fried such that the yolk provides moisture.

Any sauce would overpower the other flavours.

xcgb
    Free Member

Bacon Sandwich with Mustard!

NO NO NO NO NO

organic355
    Free Member

In fact mixing sauces of any kind is not to be recommended.

Impossible to make homemade thousand island dressing with doing so.

and I prefer my tuna mayonaisse, with a bit of salad cream and sometimes horseradish.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I add milk to baked beans, as does my dad!

Cheap!

Will be starting lumberjack songs soon as well

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Organic – hmmmm, that’s a difficult one. You are using a sauce as an ingredient. It’s not like you’ve put mayo and tomato and tabasco onto your prawns. You’ve selected them as ingredients and mixed them into a new single sauce.

However, it’s still wrong. Thousand Island is vile.

There are alternatives.

MrsToast
    Free Member

no no no, bacon butties need mayo & brown sauce

Mayo is the work of the devil and needs to be sent to the same hell where marmite belongs!

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Mrs Toast – Marmite is NOT a sauce and is a PERFECT food substance.

It is out of scope of these discussions.

cudubh

Thai sweet chilli sauce is not only addictive but a superb addition to coloured, not white, cheddar sandwiches or fish finger sandwiches.

binners

Bacon and egg sarnie has red OR brown sauce. Both? Are you clinically insane. Nothing supports both except a burger. Which generally copes with a multiple sauce approach far better than the butty.

I repeat yesterdays assertion that fish finger butties must have red sauce and a cheese single. The cheese single must be of the lowest quality available. The sort that is labelled ‘may contain cheese’

derek_starship
    Free Member

Bacon butty – no butter/spread and brown sauce only.

Fishfinger butty – brown sauce only, spread recommended.

Chicken breast butty – brown sauce

Cheese on toast – Worcester sauce

Burger – mix mayo, English mustard and ketchup

Sausage butty – brown sauce

Hot dog in a finger roll – ketchup and French’s mustard.

Brown sauce on bread is a sandwich in its own right.

Corned beef butty – brown sauce and a bit of English mustard

C’est tout. J’ai fini.

mintimperial

HP = Brown, yes. I was trying to bring in the people that buy cheap, supermarket versions.

I once ate at a caff that had refilled HP bottles with some sort of vile brown sauce-style condiment-type fluid, presumably in the deluded hope that their customers couldn’t tell the difference. Why would anyone do such a thing? WHY?

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Love marmite too… makes not note to go to dinner with mrs toast, I can tell it just wouldn’t work.

Tobasco – brilliant and can be used as an ingredient or a sauce.

Levi Roots Reggae Sauce is also awesome… I suspect it would be brilliant on a cheddar cheese (with raw onion and MAYO) sarnie – must try that later

binners

Have we discussed the bread issue? No butty has ever benefited from being on brown bread EVER!

Brown bread is purely put on the shelves for the girl in the office who is always on a diet but never loses any weight. Therefore it fulfills a useful social function. But that, I’m afraid, is it!!!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Now, where does salsa fit into the discussion?
    I love a bit of salsa!

organic355
    Free Member

I must be reet posh, I have my bacon sarmies with Avocado, rocket, tomato sauce and mayo, on posh brown bread of course.

Karinofnine

Neither red nor brown sauce (whether branded or cheap supermarket lookalikes) have a place in my kitchen.

Hellmans Full Fat Mayonnaise rules – with salad, salad sandwiches, smoked salmon sandwiches (with garlic and black pepper), on beans, in soups, on roast veggies.

Colmans English Mustard – for fried eggs, fried egg sarnies (I like to tinker with amount, the correct amount is so it almost, but not quite, makes me sneeze).

Otherwise Thai Sweet Chilli dipping sauce – also good with fried eggs, any kind of fried or baked veg.

Hungry now – good job it’s almost lunchtime.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Binners – Bacon and Egg needs NO sauce.

The egg yolk should still be fluid and would be overwhelmed by red or brown.

Gee-Jay – it’s a pet hate of mine when crap cafes do that. HP is the only true brown sauce. Anything else is just the rinsings from a tramps pants.

organic355
    Free Member

What can I have this on?

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Karonofnine and Organic – you are too posh to be in this discussion. Clearly you don’t understand the true working class nature of sauce.

Harry_the_Spider

Salsa?

Red or brown?

Houns

Bread – For fishfinger and bacon sarnies it should be cheap white sliced. For Sausage it should be good quality thickly (hand cut) white with big crusts

FoxyChick
    Free Member

rinsings from a tramps pants.

PMSL!! As did the tramp!

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Agree on only HP not brown sauce … the dealth penalty is not severe enough for pulling the swap trick

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 292 total)

The topic ‘Sauce: It's time we had rules’ is closed to new replies.