Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • saracen ariel vs pitch pro 2011
  • Leigh2612
    Free Member

Guys,
    Any thoughts on these bikes? Has anyone ridden both?
    Looking At the ariel 3 and pitch pro, the Saracen works out slightly cheaper, has slightly better kit and shock and bolt through rear, surely a winner unless the frame is a dog….?
    The Saracen has XT drivetrain but deore brakes which i dont like. the pitch has SRAM running gear and brakes, these would come right off! Mainly interested in the ride/ geo/ etc though.

thanks for any help,

Leigh
    (and im working on test rides before everybody says that…!)

shindiggy
    Free Member

The Ariel is suppose to be avery good bike, but many do not see past the name.

What is it about the Deore brakes you do not like exactly?

lucien

Is this a real question? – Pitch all the way – search this (and other) forums for “Pitch” and see what comes up…………..you won’t regret it

ianpinder
    Free Member

lucien – Member
    Is this a real question? – Pitch all the way – search this (and other) forums for “Pitch” and see what comes up…………..you won’t regret it

Thats why sarecen should have changed their name as well as the rest of their brand…..

Biketart have a sarecen demo bike in stock

mtbtomo
    Free Member

So long as there are bike brand ‘snobs’, it means there should be more bargains out there for the rest of us 😉

Lucien, have you actually ridden the Saracen? They’re getting good reviews in every magazine they appear in. As does the Specialized though.

.duncan
    Free Member

this guy seems to like his ariel.. http://vimeo.com/22754610

plushhill
    Free Member

We have a demo ariel in 17″ & 15″ and I kind of wish it was not as good as it is because it makes it difficult to sell the more expensive brands. Great value, amazing handling. I used to run an SX trail and would much prefer the Ariel for general trail duties and Alpine roadtrips.

ianpinder
    Free Member

@ duncan, would be better with bos devilles 😉

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

im looking for a ariel too…because i dont feel any brand snobbery as i have only ridden for a few years…specilized are good but dont the bearings wear out quickly and isnt it a more serious bike? not as much fun?

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

saying that i have friends that all agree that the pitch is awsome with 36s

crotchrocket
    Free Member

A ‘Serious’ bike??

This is a TROLL!! and you are Surf Matte and I claim my £5!

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Serious? As in more xc? Or harder hitting?
    I really am torn! Not fussed about the Saracen name as long as it works.
    Any ideas where I can get a demo near Oxford? Our local apeccy dealer doesn’t have a pitch demo.

godzilla
    Free Member

Pitch is an awesome tried and tested bike, everyone raves about them..

jimbobm
    Free Member

Ariel every day of the week! I Also used to ride an sx trail but i got on an ariel 2 weeks ago and could not believe it. Then i checked the price and nearly dropped dead! Ive ridden a mates pitch plenty of times aswell but it doesnt have a patch on the saracen. If you can see past the name and the re-sale value then go get one. You will love it.

Sawyer
    Free Member

I’d want to try the Ariel. Love the look of it, and I wasn’t completely blown away by the Pitch I rode in the Alps. Was average to be honest.

robd

Leigh , last time I saw you dude, you would never have pedalled up a hill!

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Rob d….evine? Is that you?! How are you?! No Dh bike anymore so im all about the uphills!!!

flap_jack
    Free Member

all the Ariels have the same head tube length. Not good if you’re tall.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Im 5’11” So distinctly average. hopefully not an issue!
    Thosew who have ridden how are they at climbs/ flats and longer rides? Confortable to ride for 4 hours or so?

tomaso
    Free Member

Not had a Saracen since 1992 when I had a Killi Flyer Pro Team Ultra etc. Gotta Pitch and love it for bashing rocks in the Lakes.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

yes…by serious, i meant abit more xc… i think the ariel sounds like its more of a fun decent bike.

robd

yea it’s me dude, you should come down to the forest of dean someday.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Cheers for the input guys. Seems to be ariel here and team pitch on SDH!

Rob are you on fAcebook or anything so I can get hold of you?

18bikes

we’ve got a couple of Ariels here to demo, one is mine (Large, with Lyric 160mm) the other the shop demo, (Med, with 140 as stock) – shout if you want to try either?

Si

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Where are you based mate?

18bikes

Hope valley, peak district- well wortha trip for the riding round here!

geoffj

Is the 2011 pitch pro the awful green colour?

Leigh2612
    Free Member

It’s black and green

Leigh2612
    Free Member

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_document/file/0b2/a63/dd7/815/specialized-pitch-2011-geometry-data.pdf

In this it lists the HA of the pitch at 67 in low setting, any ideas low what? Low fork travel setting?

chakaping
    Free Member

Is the 2011 pitch pro the awful green colour?

Saw a couple at Aston Hill the other week and they looked great.

Spesh have got some really nice colour schemes this year.

geoffj

Gopping

chakaping
    Free Member

Eye of the beholder, I think it looks sickmaxx.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I have an Aerial 3 and it is an amazing bike to ride, easy to control peddling is great even up hill and the spec for the money is amazing. I’m not fussed that it says Saracen (if it said Spesh or Trek it would cost £200 more!). I ride it more than my Foes FXR which is a great bike too. Saracen is a brand that is going places, the Madison/Saracen DH team are doing well and helping the brand and the Aerial is a cool looking bike.

LoCo
    Free Member

I think there maybe a few 2010 Ariels still around that you could pick up for a very good price, so far I rather like mine 😀
    Youe welcome to have a go if your in the Cwmcarn area soon it’s a large frame.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Cheers! How tall are you to be on a large? I was looking at a 17″ as I’m 5’11”

LoCo
    Free Member

6’2″ISH so large is just big enough.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IIRC spesh don’t do a demo pitches?

I’ve had my finger hovering over the buy button for a few weeks, but put off by the fact I demo’d a large enduro a couple of years ago and hated it, fast, but then anything that slack and long would be! But I’m prepared to put that down to a bad bike (shocks were way too hard so no sag, so rode it like a rigid bike, weight back and fork fully extended).

2011 pitch is subtly different (2mm off the chainstay kind of magnitude) to the 2010 and erlier models, guess the lack of fanfare about that means Spesh were confident it didn’t need re-inventing.

Spesh seemed to get universaly good reviews. Ariel seems to get good reviews with niggling faults.

Sounds like I’m trying to convince myself………………..

Leigh2612
    Free Member

no more medium pitchs at specialized….not good…!

mbr30
    Free Member

I’ve owned two pitch pros.the 09 brown one and I’ve recently bought the 2011 new one.it’s easily the best bike I’ve ridden.my only complaint was the white grips which I swiftly changed.it’s awesome,buy one!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘saracen ariel vs pitch pro 2011’ is closed to new replies.