Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Santa cruz butcher?
  • daftvader
    Free Member

afternoon…
    Been thinking about getting a full sus bike for my trips to the peaks, wales and other bits of the uk that are more pointy than hampshire. Also for the eventual trip to the alps and the mega.
    I like SC bikes (current steed is a chameleon) but cant seem to find a butcher for demo. Anyone got one and what are your thoughts on them?
    Cheers

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I have one, fitted with X-fusion vengeances and an rp23. Pointing downhill it’s awesome and encourages you to ride way beyond your abilities and uphill it climbs a lot better than it’s weight would suggest. Even with my forks at 160mm it doesn’t wander about too much and if you’ve got the legs it’s got the grip to get most things.

Downsides? It’s not a bike for easier, flatter terrain to be honest but that’s true of most bikes of this ilk.

Comes up small though so if in doubt go slightly bigger but you prob know this from your chameleon.

Anyway I’m off to take mine over Garburn.

daftvader
    Free Member

Cheers ivan…. Anyone else?

yossarian
    Free Member

Not sure about sizings etc but stif were doing them for £999 I think.

SBrock
    Free Member

IMG_0148 by brockelsby2011, on Flickr

Here is my Butcher! I’ve had it a year, I’m 511 with a long reach and short legs and the Large suits me fine with a 50mm stem, it’s a set up for AM as it should…..Flows, Van 36s, chain guide, short stem etc.
    I ride it in the Dark Peak and off to Fort bill in a few weeks, it’s a great climber if you pedal smoothly, brilliant descender and really is a tough bike. I really enjoy riding it and never get bored of it, it’s perfect bike for the Alps.

You won’t be disappointed any questions feel free to ask, but if you get one don’t bother with the RP23 upgrade as in my opinion doesn’t need it as its a great climber.

Just waiting for my alloy Highball now for XC and local stuff.

SBrock
    Free Member

I have one, fitted with X-fusion vengeances and an rp23.

Have you had a tune on your rear shock, what do you think of the shock seeing as SC spec a low compression/rebound tune on these bikes.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

It’s the low tuned version which came with the frame. So far the shock itself seems ok but I’ve been pre-occupied with my new dropper post tbh so not paying it too much attention – I’m a fit and forget kind of rider.

Oh and I’m also waiting on a highball alloy, you’re clearly a man with a fine taste in bikes!

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks for those. I have seen the stif offer but am probably going for a full build cos its going to cost roughly the same as a self build.
    Sbrok… Thats sweet! I do a fair bit of riding in the peaks (my sister lives in hathersage!) So thats looking promising… And if my planned trip to spain comes off in,the winter then I may be laughing.
    Cheers

SBrock
    Free Member

Ivandobski are you going for a Highball off the peg?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont know if they are any good or not, but I wouldnt buy one purely based on that picture SBrock has posted. WTF has happened to that bike? It looks incredibly tall and incredibly short. Not ideal for the Alps or anything for that matter. Get something decent.

daftvader
    Free Member

Troll alert!! 🙂
    FWIW I dont buy bikes on looks alone…. I ALWAYS test ride. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What are you describing a decent?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Have you actually ridden a full suspension bike down a hill before?

Generally, the ones that are tall and short and steep dont ride very nicely.

Get something lower, longer and slacker, you wont regret it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What about one of these, they’re creating quite a stir. I bet the geometry is bang on though.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/if-this-is-slack-then-i-like-it-warning-rocket-content

daftvader
    Free Member

Yes I have. A great many bikes down many different hills. the cotic is on the list of ones to try when im in the peaks next. Also on the list are the remedy, jekyl, spicy and reign. I happen to like SC bikes tho so it is at the top, IF I can find a demo. But if you read my first post I was looking for the opinion of those that actually own these bikes…

roddi18
    Free Member

I haven’t ever ridden a butcher pal but have just this morning tested a carbon nomad. I was initially put off the nomad and also the butcher a year ago by it only having a quick release rear wheel. But after speaking to a SC rider last week i dropped SC a email this week to see if he was right and that they would be bringing out a maxle version and they are. It may be worth emailing yourself regarding the butcher if thats something that interests you. The nomads should be about within 6 weeks. It’s not anything to do with helping too stiffen up the rear end as its aready stiff as a rock, more to do with wheel retention

Northwind

How much trouble have you had with rear wheel retention in the past?

daftvader
    Free Member

I like the nomad, just that bit far out of my price range sadly. Plus ive never had a problem with wheel retention…. Now of SC could do something to help rider retention…. 😀

roddi18
    Free Member

None myself thanks Northwind as i have a maxle but the rider i was speaking to last weekend said that the Qr was something he would like gone as his has dropped out a couple of times. Plus for me i have a few sets of wheels that are all 12mm rear that i swap between depending on what kind of riding i’m doing

SBrock
    Free Member

WTF has happened to that bike?

Crikey I best get on the phone to SC seems they have **** it up

IvanDobski
    Free Member

SBrock – No it’s going to be a rigid singlespeed version with miner carbon forks. Obviously it’ll be a while but the orders in…

_tom_
    Free Member

Bullits seem to do alright..

SBrock
    Free Member

Bullits seem to do alright..

I dunno what he’s on about either

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Santa cruz butcher?’ is closed to new replies.